Eric Prime

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

What gives me a bit of hope for a change of course is that Trevorrow said in a very recent interview that he would not return to the series and that also Pratt and BDH will not reprise their roles again. Sam Neill also said that Dominion would be the last movie of the original trio.

Yes, yes i know more often than not such statements dont hold that much weight, but the groundwork for a new direction for the series is certainly there.

They could make a lot of money by doing small scale films; 1 dino, 1 main character. Pump out maybe 3 of these, and then bring those characters into a larger movie packed with dinos. Have each of the three create an experience that makes the individual perceive dinos differently. One could be a movie with a dude and a dino becoming friends (sort of like Chris Pratt and his raptors? I think I only saw the first JW, and can't really remember it). One movie more of a horror/thriller, where a woman crash lands on an island with a dino (or a couple) and has to fight for her life to survive. This leaves her terrified of dinos, but since she's successful, she's a bit of a badass. And a third that's more.. sciency/bureaucratic/political. Maybe some marine biologist finding some 'dinos' in the water, but they aren't big scary things like in movies, and somehow they are beneficial to the eco system. Meanwhile Congress/UN wants to eradicate all dinos, and we get to see more of the political angle on dealing with this, and the marine biologist advocating for not running everything to extinction. I dunno. So that person would be rather neutral on dinos, because they probably don't want raptors and trexes roaming around.

Then in the big movie you combine all these elements, have these characters cross paths, butt heads, etc, while dealing with dinos. Then pump out sequels until you have dinos in space with Trump and Elon, you've jumped the shark, and then go and reboot the original JPark series, with Jeff Goldblum as a very eccentric John Hammond. 

Once it gets past $550 million (and it will) the only films ahead of it ALL-TIME will be:

2 x Star Wars sequels 

3 x Avengers

Spider-Man: NWH

Black Panther

Titanic

Jurassic World

Incredibles 2

That is absolutely staggering and beyond the wildest forecasts of anybody in the industry. 

TOP GUN: MAVERICK is a phenomenon. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

How do we know that a change in course for the type of movie Uni could do going forward would make them more money? I don’t see it. 

THE idea of all ideas was and always will be an amusement park with dinosaurs in it that break out. It’s been done. With the park both nearly open, and fully open to guests. 

The movie I wanted, and thought they were leading up to after FK, wasn’t the movie we’ve just gotten. But it’s still been a huge hit.  $900 million plus is hardly small change.  
But the law of diminishing returns box office wise is, to me at least, purely because the best idea has already been done. 

Dinosaurs out in the real world had endless possibilities, sure. That they didn’t do that doesn’t mean that if they did that this movie makes $300-400 million more worldwide though? We just don’t know. 

My concern with this particular franchise going forward now is that these endless possibilities of what you can do with dinos in the real world seems limited based on where the movie ends up. You’d almost have to go back and make a prequel of sorts. Which they might. 

At this point I’d just rather somebody else made a film with that premise, that doesn’t have to worry about it connecting with previous movies. 

Yeah Universal brought back the trio, made this seem like the finale and had the dinos escape Jurassic World.

They totally blew their load with this movie.

@iHeartJames 

:sparta:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Maverick is $400k off the pace of The Dark Knight, which did $42.7 million in its third weekend, and went on to do $533.3 million. 

So north of $550 million looks a pretty safe bet, whatever way you look at it. 

Dark Knight also opened much later in summer calendar, so it’s weekday numbers in August & beyond were much weaker than TG2’s should be in June/July, but even a straight extrapolation from this point nets $557M

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, krla said:

They could make a lot of money by doing small scale films; 1 dino, 1 main character. Pump out maybe 3 of these, and then bring those characters into a larger movie packed with dinos. Have each of the three create an experience that makes the individual perceive dinos differently. One could be a movie with a dude and a dino becoming friends (sort of like Chris Pratt and his raptors? I think I only saw the first JW, and can't really remember it). One movie more of a horror/thriller, where a woman crash lands on an island with a dino (or a couple) and has to fight for her life to survive. This leaves her terrified of dinos, but since she's successful, she's a bit of a badass. And a third that's more.. sciency/bureaucratic/political. Maybe some marine biologist finding some 'dinos' in the water, but they aren't big scary things like in movies, and somehow they are beneficial to the eco system. Meanwhile Congress/UN wants to eradicate all dinos, and we get to see more of the political angle on dealing with this, and the marine biologist advocating for not running everything to extinction. I dunno. So that person would be rather neutral on dinos, because they probably don't want raptors and trexes roaming around.

Then in the big movie you combine all these elements, have these characters cross paths, butt heads, etc, while dealing with dinos. Then pump out sequels until you have dinos in space with Trump and Elon, you've jumped the shark, and then go and reboot the original JPark series, with Jeff Goldblum as a very eccentric John Hammond. 

I think they should go down the IT/Strangers Things route and put kids as main characters, maybe with one box office draw actor attached.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, krla said:

So … creating a PCU (pre-historic cinematic universe). Maybe roll in Godzilla, Kong, and the Meg too 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hilpkioy said:

Well the top theaters for TGM seem to suggest that. Only 4 of the top 15 theaters for TGM are from LA and NYC. 

This makes alot of sense to me.

Most movie productions are made on the coasts and the majority of those that make and finance movies lean liberal, so the majority of movies are going to tend to reflect their sensibilities. 

The divide they are talking about may largely be a supply issue - ie, Hollywood is not making enough movies that appeal to more conservative (and given the Independent numbers) moderate moviegoers so they go out less because there are fewer films that interest them.

TGM's results suggest Hollywood is leaving money on the table and also potentially hurting theaters outside the coasts by not having a broad enough product range.

FWIW, I don't really expect this to change much, if anything I expect the difference to widen.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I think they should go down the IT/Strangers Things route and put kids as main characters, maybe with one box office draw actor attached.

i actually started typing this out earlier as EXACTLY what I would want them to do. 

Set it in the late 80’s. There’s your prequel. 

• Like 1