Eric the Minion

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

lol where is this coming from? why would it have a better IM than Top Gun: Maverick?

Top Gun had huge Tuesday and Wednesday shows to add on to the Thursday preview. Deadline claims Dominion had the same thing, but none of us trackers noticed them, so their impact is probably super minimal. Huge difference

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Because Fallen Kingdom had an IM of 9,67. Dominion needs a 8,3 IM to get to 150M.

More likely than not imo, unless WOM is truly stinky which i still doubt. Dont underestimate how not-frontloaded the Jurassic World movies are.

Yeah many people do not care much about reviews for Jurassic specially in first week. Kids just want to watch Dinos. To hell with the reviews lol

Should be able to do $150m+ OW easily with this kind of preview number

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

It made it

… or did it? My gut feeling is that’s a studio round up from high $17’s, but doesn’t really matter in the end, only would knock down the Th/Fri and Th/wknd multipliers a bit 

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Because Fallen Kingdom had an IM of 9,67. Dominion needs a 8,3 IM to get to 150M.

More likely than not imo, unless WOM is truly stinky which i still doubt. Dont underestimate how not-frontloaded the Jurassic World movies are.

this just goes back to a point i made on Doctor Strange's opening weekend but i simply don't buy comparing a movie's IM from 4 years ago to a movie coming out now. dominion started playing at 4 PM and had countless showtimes continuing past midnight. if memory, serves the previous two started at 7 PM like most movies 4-7 years ago did. thursday is practically a full day now and it's ridiculous that it's not counted as such.

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

… or did it? My gut feeling is that’s a studio round up from high $17’s, but doesn’t really matter in the end, only would knock down the Th/Fri and Th/wknd multipliers a bit 

Well, previews are always rounded, and I highly doubt they are ever rounded down. I think this means in the 17.9-18m range

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric the Last Dinosaur said:

Top Gun had huge Tuesday and Wednesday shows to add on to the Thursday preview. Deadline claims Dominion had the same thing, but none of us trackers noticed them, so their impact is probably super minimal. Huge difference

By “stunt previews”, is Deadline just referring to free (to attendees) screenings? I’m not sure why mention it all, given as you said the impact to total preview gross is near negligible 

Really was hoping Jurassic World Dominion would open to 69 million opening day so I could finally unleash this "Blue is the Warmest Color" joke about Blue the Raptor I've had cued up for the last two years. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Really was hoping Jurassic World Dominion would open to 69 million opening day so I could finally unleash this "Blue is the Warmest Color" joke about Blue the Raptor I've had cued up for the last two years. 

What, did you photoshop Blue and Chris Pratt's faces on the poster 😛

1 minute ago, katnisscinnaplex said:

Well, previews are always rounded, and I highly doubt they are ever rounded down. I think this means in the 17.9-18m range

Here’s the thing: because of the way the accounting/reporting works, it’s not like a regular daily gross where the numbers are visible in ComScore. So whenever I see a flat even number - $18.0 or even $50.0 - my default is that it’s an extra rounded figure just to get something out, and the +/- balance will just wind up on the official “Friday” total 

Setting off to give JW: Dominion a chance in a few hours.

Saw Men earlier in the week. Absolutely fantastic, but not a surprise that it had no mainstream mileage even if it was perhaps a liiiiitle more conventional as a horror film, in terms of jump scares and uncanny beats, than things like Hereditary and mother!

Interested to see what Maverick will do across the bows of JW:D. 

Also, I can't help but blurt out that when pitching Top Gunnesque 80s revivals last week I remember someone pitching a Big sequel with Tom Hanks. But surely the natural sequel to Big would be with Elizabeth Perkins and Colin Hanks. Obviously neither are stars and it wouldn't be a star vehicle but as a low budget ultra-cringe comedy about a woman meeting the grown version of the kid she unknowingly hooked up with it might have potential. Anyway, that's a tangent.

Also cheering on The Bad Guys' attempt to get to 100. Will hit the x4 OW this weekend!

I have hope again. 150M OW would be very solid, all things considered. Woudnt be the megahit i hoped for, but then again, the movie isnt the movie i thought it would be. I feel like the creative team missed a chance to have another 500M+ grosser here.

It still deserves any penny it makes though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Just let me and @Brainbug the Dinosaur have this small W plz

My official target was $17.5 to beat FK/over $150, and it seems to have gotten there at least, with at least some room to spare, so it’s a W in my book even with some potential fudging/rounding 

• Like 1

This was easily one of the most aggresively mediocre/okay movies I've seen in quite some time. It's not quite the trainwreck I had expected from seeing the early reception, but it's also not a good movie at all. I'll leave it at that since getting into any more details might get me threadbanned for spoilers.

Beeing sligtly more conservative:

Dominion: 145M

Top Gun: 55M

200M Weekend from these two films alone right there. Would be huge for the overall box office and both could get higher ofc.

24 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

thursday is practically a full day now and it's ridiculous that it's not counted as such.

Agreed. As discussed in the Memorial Day thread, it's especially wild to think that back in '07, At World's End's 8:00 previews were separated from the Friday and weekend grosses, and yet now business from 3:00-4:00 on Thursday gets rolled into the weekend, no questions asked.

I've long thought it would be cool to have two separate, official daily and weekend opening records - one with all the previews rolled in, and one with early screening grosses removed and counted as a separate day. For the last couple decades, preview numbers for the big movies are certainly public enough that it could be done.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Beeing sligtly more conservative:

Dominion: 145M

Top Gun: 55M

200M Weekend from these two films alone right there. Would be huge for the overall box office and both could get higher ofc.

Will easily be only the 3rd weekend for Top 10 combined over $150M (for FSS only) since COVID (NWH, Strange MoM, TG2/Memorial), and only the second over $200 (NWH, duh)

Should also kick off a stretch of 5-in-a-row over $150 FSS through Thor L&T, unless we some under-performance from new releases and/or weaker holds, as the market becomes more flush with product

• Like 1