EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

From Reddit

0WBqIhd.jpeg

can they do that?

havent seats for those shows already been sold and havent those schedules already been printed in local papers?

Whats the fathers day record?

can it?

edit: just realized how dumb of a question that is

can I turn it into whats the highest 4th weekend sunday?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

23 minutes ago, grim22 said:

From Reddit

0WBqIhd.jpeg

Uh … wonder if Disney gave the OK for that. They are notoriously protective of their showtimes, regardless of business levels, probably moreso on opening weekend/Father’s Day. If not, it could put their Thor playdate in jeopardy …

Also, TGM isn’t “over performing”, it’s doing almost exactly what should be expected given the run & holds to this point 

Edited by M37
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

My fear is that Disney will blame the movie's underperformance on its LGBTQ content, at least in the sense that they'll claim audiences stayed away from it for that reason. Even if Lightyear doesn't outright bomb, we still might not see any  further queer main character in Disney animated movies for a long time. 

Unfortunately, it probably has played a factor in it. Disney has been in hot water with conservative audiences for the past year or so (starting with the firing of Gina Carano). And as a result has lost a big portion of that audience. but that is just one factor. probably lots of people are waiting for it to debut on Disney+  some still won't take their kids to the theater. and it's gotten less then stellar audience reception so far. It's too bad too. was really hoping it would hit $75m+ this weekend. I hope it doesn't change Disney's mind about theatrical releases for their animated films.

12 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

can they do that?

havent seats for those shows already been sold and havent those schedules already been printed in local papers?

Sure, that definitely happened during No Way Home's opening weekend. There were multiple angry tweets from people with tickets to see Nightmare Alley (also in its OW) at their theater, but their shows got canceled for added Spider-Man screenings. Obviously, people get their money back, but how else the theater placates the fans may vary (vouchers for free showings/concessions/etc).  I believe there's a penalty in the first weeks of a movie's run to cancel showings, each chain can decide whether showing the more popular movie is worth it. And there are smaller, regional chains whose ticket sales patterns may differ from the overall numbers.

• Like 1

Easily going to be the worst Pixar performance, ever. Not even adjusting for expectations. Incredible.  

Edit: Actually I guess it could get interesting vs TGD. I excluded Onward for obvious reasons.

Edited by Legion and Thunder

With relation to theaters being able to drop LY for other movies, so far as i'm aware Disney requires stuff like 'Must play in at least one of your largest theaters by itself'/'Must play in x % of seats for the theater' but that's the sort of thing they only pull out for bigger movies that are guaranteed to do well since they can actually warrant that (at least for the second possible demand) for LY i imagine they are only requiring it be played in the largest theater all day. 

Theaters will generally go beyond the minimum of the demands as money wills it but it definetly gives them some room to drop showings in larger theaters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1