EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

51 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

Valkyrie from Thor: Ragnarok is supposedly bisexual, but did you know that from watching the movie? I thought not. 

Pretty interesting timing to use this particular example, might be outdated in 20 days (I have no specific info here, just saying it wouldn’t be surprising)

• Like 2

Disney has built its brand on trying to appeal to everyone, even those with backwards worldviews. It's only been very recently I think that the LGBT rights movement has gotten organized and influential enough to enact real change. Lightyear's depiction, not to mention Disney's resistance to editing it out in conservative markets, is another baby step in the right direction, and the demand for further inclusion isn't going to stop just because this movie bombed.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Pretty interesting timing to use this particular example, might be outdated in 20 days (I have no specific info here, just saying it wouldn’t be surprising)

It was just the first one that popped into my head. There are probably dozens more. But the fact remains, Disney is a lot more willing to let its writers explore LGBTQ themes in TV shows and Disney+ films than it is in theatrical films. 

Disney has built its brand on trying to appeal to everyone, even those with backwards worldviews. It's only been very recently I think that the LGBT rights movement has gotten organized and influential enough to enact real change.

Funny how when an individual says they'd rather not engage with LGBTQ people, they're a bigot, but when a company does it, they're "trying to reach the widest possible audience". 

Edited by El Squibbonator

I thought the whole "Valkyrie is bi" thing was something they were introducing in Love & Thunder? I don't think that was in Ragnarok from what I recall.

Edited by cookie

2 minutes ago, The Dark Rock said:

So as per deadline $21.8m Saturday for JWD.

That would be really good number for JWD.

It still slightly had a Saturday increase less than TGM if numbers hold up but still solid. Lightyear is the biggest loser if anything. The fact TGM’s 4th Saturday may still beat LYs 1st Saturday is so awesome.

8 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

To be a fly on the wall at the Pixar campus right now... Lightyear is a certified flop. No way around it.

Is it too late for a Good Dinosaur-style rework for Elemental? Because otherwise that one might bomb harder than John Carter and Lone Ranger :ohmygod:

I mean a Good Dinosaur rework would all but ensure that.

Gonna reserve any negative judgments on Elemental until we get some footage since a lot of Pixar stories seem unimaginative on first glance, but I almost feel like that might fare better with an off season theatrical release like April or September/October. It will have no chance against the competition next summer unless reviews are like Inside Out level good.

21 minutes ago, Bigscrubnus said:

>dominion is beating lightyear this weekend

I can’t believe it’s actually happening

Lightyear beating Dominion was in discussion only because Dominion turned out to be Disappointing movie.

So it's not that surprising

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

10 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

At this point, the spoiler for my hope of five  >20m grosser next weekend may actually be LY if the movie collapse. That Saturday bump doesn’t bode well for its leg. 

Agreed also TBP based on presales (unless it dramatically does well in walk ups) looks like a $14-18m opener.

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Hmm the problem is traditional animation isn't done at Pixar and it's a lost art, practically. They had to train new layout artists for Klaus, that hand drawn movie made for Netflix.

Klaus was fantastic.  Man I loved that movie. 

I have a wish that Disney will make a hand drawn movie they’ve spend years and years on. Something akin to a Fantasia - like it’s a new magnum opus kind of thing. Separate from what would work at the box office etc, and just for the art of it. 

tbf I think Lightyear is a film that wasn’t designed by committee whatsoever. It is the least obvious Buzz film that would have been a slam-dunk for everybody. Instead they’ve had an idea and made the film they wanted to make. I see no sign of meddling from overlords. Only that the overlords have messed with audience’s expectations as to where and how they should watch a Pixar movie. 

• Like 2

Lmao at Lightyear. This is now flop territory with that reported 200M budget.

Dominion is winning the weekend, which makes me a happy dinosaur. The drop though is only similar to FK because of Fathers Day, so well need to see how it holds up after this weekend to see if 350M or 390-400M is more likely for it. I still think it will be closer to 350M.

Top Gun is just amazing. The movie and its run.

• Like 1