EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

Just now, Eric Lightyear said:

I edited the title lol.

And for the record EC, this is just a joke. I’m having fun. It’s something silly. Please do not give me a lecture over this

Likewise joking too.

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

if Pixar make great movies, as they always have done for 27 years, and Disney make it clear they can’t be watched for free on tv after seven weeks, then they’ll be just fine. 

This weekend has been an education for Disney and Chapek who have literally thrown hundreds of millions down the drain with their actions building up to this release. 

Chapek’s classic “we will do what our consumers are asking for” that he’s said the past couple of quarters will result in losing the studio money, and ultimately creative talent.  This feels like the straw that broke the camel’s back as far as his tenure goes. 

I would imagine Chapek will be gone within a year or two. TBH Disney survived the mega bombs of Mars Needs Moms, John Carter and The Lone Ranger so I think Pixar will get off lightly.

1 minute ago, EmeraldWitch said:

Damn. I thought Empirecity was being sarcastic in the feud the other day but it seems like 600m is truly locked for TGM. Is over Titanic back into the table yet? :ph34r:

leonardo dicaprio drawing GIF

what’s he drawing? 

maverick-top-gun-kawasaki-ninja-900-tom-

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

It'll be interesting to see what lessons Disney ends up taking away from this and whether too many titles being turned into glorified Disney+ exclusives have possibly diminished their theatrical footprint. Soul going straight-to-streaming made sense (since there wasn't a vaccine yet and large portions of theaters across the country were still shut down), but Luca and Turning Red could've easily done the day-and-date-for-$29.99 deal.

• Like 2

Absolutely worse case scenario for Pixar is a downsizing which I suspect WDAS will get too in order to maintain profits for the next few films. I think Strange World they’ll do theatrical anyways given how barren November is outside of Wakanda and the performance of Minions 2 will have a factor (I can see Chapek trying a day and date announcement at D23 for all future animations but back out a few months later due to outrage from the workers and creatives) will indicate where they move forward, but I think they will continue theatrical.

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

But man, to follow Top Guns run is so awesome. Reminds me why i like to spend quite a bit of my freetime with following BO numbers. Epic runs like this one make it just so much fun.

It's exactly this that makes it fun.

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Absolutely worse case scenario for Pixar is a downsizing which I suspect WDAS will get too in order to maintain profits for the next few films. I think Strange World they’ll do theatrical anyways given how barren November is outside of Wakanda and the performance of Minions 2 will have a factor (I can see Chapek trying a day and date announcement at D23 for all future animations but back out a few months later due to outrage from the workers and creatives) will indicate where they move forward, but I think they will continue theatrical.

If downsizing is Pixar's worse case scenario, what would be best case scenario? 

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It'll be interesting to see what lessons Disney ends up taking away from this and whether too many titles being turned into glorified Disney+ exclusives have possibly diminished their theatrical footprint. Soul going straight-to-streaming made sense (since there wasn't a vaccine yet and large portions of theaters across the country were still shut down), but Luca and Turning Red could've easily done the day-and-date-for-$29.99 deal.

Sigh. I couldn't agree with this more. Absolutely fucking asinine ESPECIALLY with Turning Red when Spidey was making bank, Sing did 160M+ DOM before March. Should've been in theaters exclusively on March 11th. Period. Would've done well. 

And, yes! Raya the Last Dragon did the 29.99 and in theaters when the pandemic was MUCH worse. Jungle Cruise did the same model and released just a month ago Luca premiered for free on Disney+ with a subscription. You take arguably your best brand (Pixar) then make those the movies that go to Disney+ for free with a sub and pretty much everything else is either 29.99/theatrical 45 to 60 day window or 45 to 60 day window and no streaming option at all? It's completely insane. Made Pixar feel like one of their streaming shows or a direct to video and it's friggin' Pixar. I still can't believe the handling of Luca and especially Turning Red.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Sigh. I couldn't agree with this more. Absolutely fucking asinine ESPECIALLY with Turning Red when Spidey was making bank, Sing did 160M+ DOM before March. Should've been in theaters exclusively on March 11th. Period. Would've done well. 

And, yes! Raya the Last Dragon did the 29.99 and in theaters when the pandemic was MUCH worse. Jungle Cruise did the same model and released just a month ago Luca premiered for free on Disney+ with a subscription. You take arguably your best brand (Pixar) then make those the movies that go to Disney+ for free with a sub and pretty much everything else is either 29.99/theatrical 45 to 60 day window or 45 to 60 day window and no streaming option at all? It's completely insane. Made Pixar feel like one of their streaming shows or a direct to video and it's friggin' Pixar. I still can't believe the handling of Luca and especially Turning Red.

@EmpireCity has been vindicated again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well well well...no nobody saw this coming. Pixar as a brand has become synonymous with Disney+. Families prefer to watch animated movies at the comfort of their homes. That event feel is sorely lacking nowadays in animated movies and Pixar is no different.

21 minutes ago, Eric Lightyear said:

I edited the title lol.

And for the record EC, this is just a joke. I’m having fun. It’s something silly. Please do not give me a lecture over this

I won't as long as you and Cap stop giving out Warning points for silly reasons as well.  

We have a deal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, marveldcfox said:

Well well well...no nobody saw this coming. Pixar as a brand has become synonymous with Disney+. Families prefer to watch animated movies at the comfort of their homes. That event feel is sorely lacking nowadays in animated movies and Pixar is no different.

They don’t prefer it. They just won’t all spend money when the studio is effectively telling them they don’t have to. They’ll spend it on movies that they can’t watch for free the month after instead. 

If you spend how ever many dollars a month (what $10)? on Disney+, you want to get your value out of it right. Watching second-rate spinoffs like Lightyear is perfect for that. I mean why would you go to cinema and spend more money on it unless its worthwhile watching on the big screen?