EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

9 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

What more can you say about the incredible run of TGM. Biggest 4th Sunday ever, 2nd biggest 4th weekend of all time, 600m and 1.1 billion WW locked. It has a legit shot at reaching all time top 10 in the US, UK and Oz. What a run.

An absolute phenomenon. Tom Cruise is the man.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

After this open, they almost have to...(I'd hate for Paws of Fury to be the one that gets the summer deal and have that one surprise, b/c god, that preview looks like a straight-to-streaming Kung Fu Panda rip off)...

There's also League of Super-Pets, which I'd honestly put on the same level as Minions in terms of appeal to non-kid audiences. 

Elemental getting a theatrical release seems rather unlikely at this point. Chapek going out with one last fuck you to the people who ruined his relationship with Florida sounds about right for him.

Strange World will likely get the Encanto treatment (the two movies seem to be tackling similar topics) and be on Disney+ by the holidays.

• Knock It Off 2

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Elemental getting a theatrical release seems rather unlikely at this point. Chapek going out with one last fuck you to the people who ruined his relationship with Florida sounds about right for him.

Strange World will likely get the Encanto treatment (the two movies seem to be tackling similar topics) and be on Disney+ by the holidays.

I don't know what you've got against Elemental given there hasn't even been much information or a trailer.

2 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

There's also League of Super-Pets, which I'd honestly put on the same level as Minions in terms of appeal to non-kid audiences. 

I don't think Super Pets was ever going to have adult appeal but I think the concept is strong enough to make it successful.

Why wouldn’t families want to see Strange World, or Elemental? I don’t get the doom and gloom about those films? 
It’s not the movies, it’s the distribution they need to sort out. 

Disney and Pixar movies didn’t go from being the most watched family films on the planet to people not wanting to watch them.  The Mouse needs to realise that and quickly. Giving them away is clearly not the answer, financially or for their creative talent. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Why wouldn’t families want to see Strange World, or Elemental? I don’t get the doom and gloom about those films? 

Disney and Pixar movies didn’t go from being the most watched family films on the planet to people not wanting to watch them.  The Mouse needs to realise that and quickly. Giving them away is clearly not the answer, financially or for their creative talent. 

There seems to be this weird vibe that Pixar and Disney animated films are doomed to be streaming only. 

For those wondering where the consistency of the Jurassic World franchise comes from, my mom literally only watched 3 movies in theaters since 2015:

Jurassic World

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Jurassic World: Dominion

Same for my dad, my aunt, and my uncle.

Before that it was Interstellar in 2014 and half of them got nausea from it so yeah.

Boomers love them some dinosaurs! :redcapes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zucch11 said:

Ofcourse parents will prefer paying ~$80 a year and getting unlimited movies and shows for "free" over spending $100+ on a night out to the movies, the question is why has Disney made (and continues to make) that calculus so easy for them? I agree that it might be too late to put that genie in the bottle, I also think this is gonna impact animated movies in general beyond Disney... I can see the new Minions movie undershooting expectations in a couple of weeks as I don't think most normal people can tell the difference between what is a Disney or Dreamworks movie and will just expect to see it on a streaming service in short order.

Think the Disney+ audience, especially the more hardcore ones who gobble up all the MCU & SW series, is only a subset  of theatrical animation audience 

Doesn’t mean there will no diminishing returns effect more broadly, but IMO Minions is more likely to hampered by being the 5th iteration of a DM franchise seeing diminishing returns, than a wait for streaming effect 

And I’m of the opinion Minions will open not great, but perfectly fine in context, though drop off fairly harshly, which is more of the steaming effect.

13 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Because Disney+ is more convenient and people prefer watching movies at home. Plus also these days the only things audiences want to go out to see are nostalgic toy commercials. Strange World and Elemental may be toy commercials, but they don’t have the nostalgia value. Sad but true!

33 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Elemental getting a theatrical release seems rather unlikely at this point.

Why would they spend 200 million dollars on a movie for streaming when they could lower their tracking expectations for a theatrical run, keep marketing costs smaller than Lightyear's and make some money off a mild theatrical run before it makes the same killing on Disney+ 30 days later that it would've if it just launched there?

Based on every piece of evidence the past few months, this is closer to the future the streamers are going toward, let alone the older studios... theatrical prestige followed by exclusive hyped streaming runs. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After seeing it myself it's not hard to understand the audience disinterest in Lightyear. Fundamentally haphazard execution and every story element felt like it was done better in another movie (and even in the Buzz Lightyear cartoon two decades ago)

Sox was the big bright spot and hopefully his VA fares a lot better with his work next year

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

There seems to be this weird vibe that Pixar and Disney animated films are doomed to be streaming only. 

indeed. Their underperformance is the distribution, not people’s appetite to see them. 

we’re only six months on from the Encanto phenomenon. Which didn’t become that because most people watched it for free. That would have happened anyway. 

Generations love these films. It’s about time the studio that distributes them started treating them like they used to. Gold dust, rather than a commodity 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

The summer has more bad news than good news actually so far. Between DS2 garbage hold, JWD terrible review and meh opening, and now LY bomb, TGM is the sole great story we have. Which movie can be the next good news for moviegoing beside Thor 4? 

Elvis feels like it could break out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

indeed. Their underperformance is the distribution, not people’s appetite to see them. 

we’re only six months on from the Encanto phenomenon. Which didn’t become that because most people watched it for free. That would have happened anyway. 

Generations love these films. It’s about time the studio that distributes them started treating them like they used to. Gold dust, rather than a commodity 

I think certain members here just want to hold on to an apocalyptic narrative to release their own uncontrolled anxieties

• Like 5

So many theaters leaving money on the table by not being able to meet the demand of Maverick today. Meanwhile they sell three tickets for a 2:15p showing of THE BEST MAN. Theaters have been through the ringer the last couple years but they have no one to blame but themselves now. To not leave yourself the option of adding a couple showings to a movie that's over-performing is just bad business.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Eric Lightyear said:

Because Disney+ is more convenient and people prefer watching movies at home. Plus also these days the only things audiences want to go out to see are nostalgic toy commercials. Strange World and Elemental may be toy commercials, but they don’t have the nostalgia value. Sad but true!

Let's revisit this when Minions 2 opens in two weeks.

Straight to streaming isn't going to be a viable strategy long-term, it's just leaving money on the table that even a brief theatrical window provides.

Edited by Alpha
  • Thanks 1