EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

Also, no offense, but I keep hearing over and over "that is what consumers prefer" as if that is some overriding factor in business the last 500 years or 100 years going forward.  

Business has never actually given a shit what consumers prefer.  In fact, it is directly against their interest on some level to care for or provide what the consumer prefers. 

Doing that only destroys the aura and core of a lot of brands.  Imagine if the high end fasion designers were in every strip mall or sold their goods at a cheap discounted price delivered to your home.  They would all be out of business and their brand would be non-existent.  Instead, they deliver a high quality and desierable product that you have to (usually) get up off your ass and leave the house to go find.  

Disney operated this way for decades and it built them an empire.  They had theme parks that you had to travel sometimes thousands of miles and pay an inflated price to go see.  They delivered magic and an experience.  This was extended at a lesser price to your local theater which then enforced a loyal fan base that drove the brand to even higher levels.  

When it came to home video, Disney created a fake vault so it built urgency and scarcity and made the release of a film on a plastic VHS tape or a DVD a true event.  

The only time they really faltered is when a dipshit CEO couldn't see the forest from the trees and started pumping out cheap bullshit or delivering coveted content to consumers at a bargain price.  Sound familiar?  

Bob Chapek isn't the only high powered CEO of a legacy company to be a complete dumbass.  He isn't the first, and he won't be the last.  

Disney animation and Pixar are performing south of mediocre crap like Sonic 2, smaller (but good) film like The Bad Guys, and about to have their legs ripped out by a Minions spin off movie.  

Why?  Because those movies are only available in theaters, which makes them an event and builds anticipation and urgency that you have to get up off your ass and leave the house and spend money.  

The lesson here is simple.  The only question is how many hundreds of millions and even billions are Bob Chapek and the Disney board willing to burn before they learn it as well.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 11

11 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

A Silent Voice was not not powerful enough to compete with a CGI cartoon baby farting baby powder.

But seriously, Silent Voice is great.

it only lacks a little more of nishimiya's mind her dreams and thoughts before the big scene to be a masterpiece for me

6 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

It's early, but let's be safe and go with $18m for TG2 as of now.  

Quite frankly, a lot of theater bookers didn't plan well enough for TG2 on Father's Day.  The only thing holding it back from even higher numbers is lack of seats.  

Cinemark has it stuck in medium sized theaters today.  Idiots.  Same thing for a number of other chains.  

It’s still amazing to me that with how detailed and accurate tracking has become, that theaters still quite often leave money on the table by not properly expecting and planning for business 

Sure it may have been shocking that TGM grabbed $90M in its second weekend, a nearly unprecedented hold. But is anyone reading this thread surprised that TGM is clearing at least $16M today? Wasn’t that essentially known/predicted at least a week ago? And yet, not enough seats allocated to meet demand, and it’s not a difficult to adjust supply issue like with PLF

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

It’s still amazing to me that with how detailed and accurate tracking has become, that theaters still quite often leave money on the table by not properly expecting and planning for business 

Sure it may have been shocking that TGM grabbed $90M in its second weekend, a nearly unprecedented hold. But is anyone reading this thread surprised that TGM is clearing at least $16M today? Wasn’t that essentially known/predicted at least a week ago? And yet, not enough seats allocated to meet demand, and it’s not a difficult to adjust supply issue like with PLF

I wonder if we will see theaters reallocate more screenings to TGM next weekend in response to the obvious overdemand this week. If so, we could be looking at a flat hold on Fri and Sat next weekend

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Also, no offense, but I keep hearing over and over "that is what consumers prefer" as if that is some overriding factor in business the last 500 years or 100 years going forward.  

Business has never actually given a shit what consumers prefer.  In fact, it is directly against their interest on some level to care for or provide what the consumer prefers. 

Doing that only destroys the aura and core of a lot of brands.  Imagine if the high end fasion designers were in every strip mall or sold their goods at a cheap discounted price delivered to your home.  They would all be out of business and their brand would be non-existent.  Instead, they deliver a high quality and desierable product that you have to (usually) get up off your ass and leave the house to go find.  

Disney operated this way for decades and it built them an empire.  They had theme parks that you had to travel sometimes thousands of miles and pay an inflated price to go see.  They delivered magic and an experience.  This was extended at a lesser price to your local theater which then enforced a loyal fan base that drove the brand to even higher levels.  

When it came to home video, Disney created a fake vault so it built urgency and scarcity and made the release of a film on a plastic VHS tape or a DVD a true event.  

The only time they really faltered is when a dipshit CEO couldn't see the forest from the trees and started pumping out cheap bullshit or delivering coveted content to consumers at a bargain price.  Sound familiar?  

Bob Chapek isn't the only high powered CEO of a legacy company to be a complete dumbass.  He isn't the first, and he won't be the last.  

Disney animation and Pixar are performing south of mediocre crap like Sonic 2, smaller (but good) film like The Bad Guys, and about to have their legs ripped out by a Minions spin off movie.  

Why?  Because those movies are only available in theaters, which makes them an event and builds anticipation and urgency that you have to get up off your ass and leave the house and spend money.  

The lesson here is simple.  The only question is how many hundreds of millions and even billions are Bob Chapek and the Disney board willing to burn before they learn it as well.  

100% all of this. 

People will take what you give them for free. Who knew? 

I think Black Phone is doomed to fail. Universal couldn't have guessed real world events would make people unconfortable with it but looking back it should have stayed in January. 

Hopefully Elvis pulls 40M OW.

9 minutes ago, M37 said:

i guess it doesn’t happen very often and some theatres are struggling to make the big calls. There’s normally a formula as to how these films depreciate week to week, but this movie is one of those blue moon events that is defying all logic 

How can anyone paying attention to anything box office wise think anything other than the theatrical experience is back in a MAJOR way. I think it is simply a matter of time until studios abolish these ridiculous "45 day window" type of things altogether. I think that, similar to the monumental shift from mid 2007 to mid 2008, pop culture had changed GREATLY since pre-covid days. Concepts that may have been a slam dunk pre-covid (The Batman, Lightyear, etc) are ben revealed to have less appeal than anticipated. Others are showing to be far more popular than expected. 

A number of technological, economic, and political factors have converged to adjust mainstream pop cultures appetite a bit, I think. Among other reasons, I think Lightyear is paying for not having Tim Allen in there. I think Lightyear is paying - to an extent - for forcing the controversial kiss in the film. I think Top Gun heavily benefited from its straight up "modern American military!" theme. We have seen Johnny Depp's status improve greatly. 

I think 2022, so far, has been year that the pushback against forced virtue signaling has eclipsed whatever demand for it there was, and it's showing itself in some interesting ways.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 2

10 minutes ago, excel1 said:

How can anyone paying attention to anything box office wise think anything other than the theatrical experience is back in a MAJOR way. I think it is simply a matter of time until studios abolish these ridiculous "45 day window" type of things altogether. I think that, similar to the monumental shift from mid 2007 to mid 2008, pop culture had changed GREATLY since pre-covid days. Concepts that may have been a slam dunk pre-covid (The Batman, Lightyear, etc) are ben revealed to have less appeal than anticipated. Others are showing to be far more popular than expected. 

A number of technological, economic, and political factors have converged to adjust mainstream pop cultures appetite a bit, I think. Among other reasons, I think Lightyear is paying for not having Tim Allen in there. I think Lightyear is paying - to an extent - for forcing the controversial kiss in the film. I think Top Gun heavily benefited from its straight up "modern American military!" theme. We have seen Johnny Depp's status improve greatly. 

I think 2022, so far, has been year that the pushback against forced virtue signaling has eclipsed whatever demand for it there was, and it's showing itself in some interesting ways.

You start off with an interesting premise and then really go off the rails there

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

And yet, I literally think it's better than any original movie Pixar released since Inside Out, not counting sequels. It was the most Disney animated Pixar movie of all time.

Coco, Soul and Luca are a better to a lot better IMO. Coco is actually one of the finest Pixar movies...
Brave on the other hand is just completely forgetable and bland, it's by far one of the worst from Pixar.

12 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I do think BO is back, at least major tentpole event films. I don't think getting rid of the 45-day window is the way to go though. The window should be more flexible though, and there is a lot of stuff that isn't doing well. 

2 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

I do think BO is back, at least major tentpole event films. I don't think getting rid of the 45-day window is the way to go though. The window should be more flexible though, and there is a lot of stuff that isn't doing well. 

The window is only partially the issue, the much bigger issue is announcing a streaming date before a movie even releases. 

That is the monumentally stupid part.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Deliloaf said:

So many theaters leaving money on the table by not being able to meet the demand of Maverick today. Meanwhile they sell three tickets for a 2:15p showing of THE BEST MAN. Theaters have been through the ringer the last couple years but they have no one to blame but themselves now. To not leave yourself the option of adding a couple showings to a movie that's over-performing is just bad business.

Frustrating if that ends up costing it a couple million today. Hopefully anyone that couldn't get in today shows up tomorrow, but again some of those only planning to go for FD would miss out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

i guess it doesn’t happen very often and some theatres are struggling to make the big calls. There’s normally a formula as to how these films depreciate week to week, but this movie is one of those blue moon events that is defying all logic 

But my point is, by week 4, this is the expectation, no longer the exception, and no one should be surprised by the demand, to the point of selling out multiple shows. That’s just poor execution, not an unexpected result 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mulder said:

So Dominion had a drop almost identical to Fallen Kingdom's. Hope some people who were insisting on CinemaScore being wrong can eat some crow now.

TBF the numbers are inflated because of the holiday...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, excel1 said:

A number of technological, economic, and political factors have converged to adjust mainstream pop cultures appetite a bit, I think. Among other reasons, I think Lightyear is paying for not having Tim Allen in there. I think Lightyear is paying - to an extent - for forcing the controversial kiss in the film. I think Top Gun heavily benefited from its straight up "modern American military!" theme.

Top Gun is overperforming literally everywhere in the world including places like Japan/Germany/France/Canada. It's reasonable to think that its success is because it is tapping into something more universal than tired US politics. Infact it is quite telling that some people fail to see analyze their entertainment without their extremely narrow US political stripe tinted glasses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I think Black Phone is doomed to fail. Universal couldn't have guessed real world events would make people unconfortable with it but looking back it should have stayed in January. 

I disagree. There have been basically no wide released theatrical horror movies in the post-pandemic era. Horror movies have their loyal niche and there is a lot of pent up demand.. I think The Black Phone is gonna do really well, people who enjoy horror have had nothing to spend their money on other than Scream all the way back in January when the pandemic was still going on (that is if you consider Scream to be a 'horror' in the first place).

Horror movies always have uncomfortable subject matter so I don't think recent events will have significant impact.

• Like 1