EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I woudnt underestimate the threat of the Minions as well. A big part of JW's audience are familys and Minions will take a lot of them away.

They're by the same studio and a portion of the Minions revenue will be coming from PLF screens which Dominion would've lost by then.

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I woudnt underestimate the threat of the Minions as well. A big part of JW's audience are familys and Minions will take a lot of them away.

Universal will put them together in all drive-ins and ensure a good 4th of July for both movies.

17 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Im all for Dominion suprising me and not having a 56%+ drop next weekend (for reference, FK dropped 53% in Weekend 3), but the Sunday-to-Sunday drop will be hefty in any case, even if it holds well on Friday/Saturday next weekend.

Even if it drops 56%, this week's Monday will also be bigger than FK's 2nd Monday so it all evens out. 400M boils down to how it will hold when Thor arrives imo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, awkwardaardvark said:

Lmao. You people really don’t want to accept that any good can come from streaming, can’t you? Jesus. 

It’s far closer to TV than buying a VHS. A viewer is a viewer, however you want to contort the facts to serve your argument. 

the now common ‘one viewer becomes 10+‘ in a stat is a new phenomena to sound more impressive than it is. Just like it’s been for music in recent years. I get why they do it, but it’s not really my point. 

loads of good comes from people seeing stuff on streaming they pay a sub for. I’m not saying that. 
What I’m saying is good business is maximising your revenue before you give your product away for nothing.

I see Disney+ and it’s 7 weeks then free for all as utter poison to be honest. 

MOVIE IDEA

what if we do a pixar animation but we do something that really hasn't been touched before. A cowboy western with lots of gunslinging, we can get the extra 'sequel' $$$ by using Woody from toy story as the character model lmao

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I think you could have told everyong Lightyear is NEVER getting released outside of cinema and it still will have bombed

such a rubbish concept and idea for a film

EXACTLY!! 

Not only that...this is one of the worst received Pixar movies just to add to that. Critically and by audiences. 

Edited by Juan Caballo
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

MOVIE IDEA

what if we do a pixar animation but we do something that really hasn't been touched before. A cowboy western with lots of gunslinging, we can get the extra 'sequel' $$$ by using Woody from toy story as the character model lmao

You guys laughing at these spin offs but I legit loved and enjoyed the Buzz Lightyear animated series back in the day (I didnt even saw Toy Story movies before the show)

Edited by NamakFiskKa

28 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

MOVIE IDEA

have you seen Lightyear?

Top fucking Gun increased like 3% this weekend here. JW3 with a strong hold (like ~15% drop) as well. Lightyear bombs in 3rd with an OW just a smidge above Sing 2 and below what Sonic 2 did in March.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Top fucking Gun increased like 3% this weekend here. JW3 with a strong hold (like ~15% drop) as well. Lightyear bombs in 3rd with an OW just a smidge above Sing 2 and below what Sonic 2 did in March.

If the movie isnt stopped, Top Gun will turn Portugal into a nation of aviation fanatics :redcapes:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, CJohn said:

If Top Gun keeps up the current trajectory in portugal it should make a billion dollars USD from just that region by this time next year. INSANE

We could be looking at 100 billion worldwide

5 minutes ago, Hilpkioy said:

TGM also increased in Malaysia and Singapore this weekend after returning to IMAX and 4dx shared with JWD to no one's surprise. Hopefully they bring it back in US/CAN soon.

Top gun almost taking over all mid-sized screen and have crazy number of showtimes again like the movie is in its opening week, partly due to lightyear pull out, cinema is able to allocate more showtime to top gun but demand has been healthy. Should be able to reach near 5x of the opening week, something almost unheard in Malaysian box office history.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex SciChannel said:

You really are the definition of "lower your expectations and you'll never be disappointed" lol! As many have said before, this weekend's Sunday may be inflated but by default that deflates it's Saturday. Combine that with more competition, it's a wonder Dominion managed to stay flat within FK's drop. And yes this is making more than 370M. Unless something absolutely cripples its late legs. It even has the possibility of 395M on the high end.

No, it does not by default deflate the Saturday. There’s sort of a mixed effect, where yes some people shift Saturday outings to Sunday for FD, but also others who celebrate early and go Saturday or even Fri, so F/S ends up being mostly a wash relative to week/week. The holiday day itself mostly brings in people who would have otherwise stayed home without it 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

No, it does not by default deflate the Saturday. There’s sort of a mixed effect, where yes some people shift Saturday outings to Sunday for FD, but also others who celebrate early and go Saturday or even Fri, so F/S ends up being mostly a wash relative to week/week. The holiday day itself mostly brings in people who would have otherwise stayed home without it 

People really want this to be better for JWD than it is and they will not be deterred by mere historical analysis 😛 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

If the movie isnt stopped, Top Gun will turn Portugal into a nation of aviation fanatics :redcapes:

Totally not related to that, the navy had ads playing in theaters in the weekend it opened here :hahaha:Just a mere coincidence :hahaha:

Edited by CJohn
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

If Top Gun keeps up the current trajectory in portugal it should make a billion dollars USD from just that region by this time next year. INSANE

We could be looking at 100 billion worldwide

I know it is a small useless market you fool. I was just posting it as a curiosity, not some amazing feat that will affect its WW gross.

Edited by CJohn

On 6/18/2022 at 12:28 PM, filmlover said:

We're now in the heart of summer. Saturday increases are bound to be on the lower side compared to every other time of year (especially when we have a big moviegoing day coming up tomorrow).

Iam referring to this response @M37. I keep getting conflicting info

Edited by Alex SciChannel