EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

12 hours ago, krla said:

What's worst about corporate virtue signaling is it seems like they do it for 2 reasons; one is to signal to a particular group that they support them, without ever really doing anything substantial, which will hopefully bring in more $$$ from that group and their allies; and the second is for controversy, in which they can put some absolutely mundane kiss in a movie, stir the pot, get a little press for their movie, and then make it a good vs evil (lib vs con, dem v rep) battle, to hopefully drive up more sales. They get to muddy the waters on reviews, audience ratings, slightly influence critics, and blame 'bigots' if their movie fails.

For instance, I've seen dozens upon dozens of posts across social media (even a couple on this forum) about how awful it is that LY is flopping, because it gives the right a 'win'. Without that gay kiss, would that matter? Nope. Liberals wouldn't really care about it flopping. I imagine at least a few people went out and bought tickets for this very reason (though obviously not enough). Corporations are using social causes as a billboard and a shield. 

It sucks that everything is becoming some left vs right battle, especially being a Canadian. 

Thank you, you have said what I have been trying to say so clearly and so much better.  Its just cynical at this point the marketing campaign via twitter (access media) because it does not help sales so at best it is just that cover for a failure with the "creatives".  But what value really is even there when the money and the decision makers dont care about excuses. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, John Marston said:

62-B89200-9877-4082-84-DD-863-E52-A95-C5

shameful

FYI, this is how ~90% of Fathom Events will be presented, in Flat aspect and lower resolution image (because they’re satellite broadcast/playback and not actual digital content)

*acknowledge LGBT people exist for 0.2 seconds*

"Omg what's with all the virtue signaling. You included that cause you knew the movie would fail and you needed a scapegoat! Oh and there's nothing wrong with a lack of inclusion. I know because my demographic is included 99% of the time."

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 11
  • ...wtf 1

13 hours ago, krla said:

I don't know his idea of virtue signaling, but typically it means only doing something for appearances, rather than out of one's own beliefs or values. With LY, shoving in a blink-and-you-miss-it lesbian kiss is 100% virtue signaling. Does anybody in the LGBTQ+ community feel like that was a great representation? I doubt it.

It would be like saying there is a Tim Allen cameo in LY, and then just having a shot of the the Buzz Lightyear toy from behind, and barely hearing Tim's voice for a second.

What's worst about corporate virtue signaling is it seems like they do it for 2 reasons; one is to signal to a particular group that they support them, without ever really doing anything substantial, which will hopefully bring in more $$$ from that group and their allies; and the second is for controversy, in which they can put some absolutely mundane kiss in a movie, stir the pot, get a little press for their movie, and then make it a good vs evil (lib vs con, dem v rep) battle, to hopefully drive up more sales. They get to muddy the waters on reviews, audience ratings, slightly influence critics, and blame 'bigots' if their movie fails.

For instance, I've seen dozens upon dozens of posts across social media (even a couple on this forum) about how awful it is that LY is flopping, because it gives the right a 'win'. Without that gay kiss, would that matter? Nope. Liberals wouldn't really care about it flopping. I imagine at least a few people went out and bought tickets for this very reason (though obviously not enough). Corporations are using social causes as a billboard and a shield. 

It sucks that everything is becoming some left vs right battle, especially being a Canadian. 

Have you even watched the movie? There was nothing forced about the lesbian romance and kiss. It serves an important thematic role in the story. And even if it didn't, how many movies have had forced heterosexual romances where nobody raised an outcry?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

*acknowledge LGBT people exist for 0.2 seconds*

"Omg what's with all the virtue signaling. You included that cause you knew the movie would fail and you needed a scapegoat! Oh and there's nothing wrong with a lack of inclusion. I know because my demographic is included 99% of the time."

The thing is it wouldn't have been virtue signaling if it was included for longer than 0.2 seconds.

(Which it kinda was longer than 0.2 second since it was sorta important to the story so ignore what I just said)

Edited by Alex SciChannel

Just now, filmlover said:

"Virtue Signaling" is one of those phrases I have never heard anyone say out in the actual real world away from the Internet and plan to keep it that way.

I've met a few people who say stuff like that along with other internet speak irl, and it is the most surreal thing

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I've met a few people who say stuff like that along with other internet speak irl, and it is the most surreal thing

My reaction would just be Michael Shannon in Knives Out: "I don't know what any of that means."

• Like 1

Man if Lightyear has some of y’all panicking, I can only imagine the shit fits some of these parents have been having over The Owl House’s existence lol.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

I got to watch the end of TG2 another time, and each time it just grows on you and think it is legitimately one of the most thirilling 3rd acts of a movie that I have ever seen.  All of it, the emotion, the editing, the score, the unprecedented "realism" of them being in actual F-18's and especially the final action is flat out incredible.  White knuckle edge of your seat action that makes each and every audience I have seen it with explode with cheers and claps.  

Tom Cruise might go down as our greatst movie star ever.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 16

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I got to watch the end of TG2 another time, and each time it just grows on you and think it is legitimately one of the most thirilling 3rd acts of a movie that I have ever seen.  All of it, the emotion, the editing, the score, the unprecedented "realism" of them being in actual F-18's and especially the final action is flat out incredible.  White knuckle edge of your seat action that makes each and every audience I have seen it with explode with cheers and claps.  

instagram might GIF

It is not a "might". I am quite certain he will, barring any PR disaster that might happen.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, CJohn said:

instagram might GIF

It is not a "might". I am quite certain he will, barring any PR disaster that might happen.

he has survived many a PR disaster in his career and is still standing. I can’t imagine much at this point that would derail him. I think he will be a Clint Eastwood type legend making films into his 90s should he be lucky enough to live that long. (Obviously not Mission Impossible style actions movies, but he has a ton of drama credits people forget about)

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Tom Cruise is a legend and hes been one for quite some time now. Man is COMITTED to action films especially like few other actors in the history of filmmaking before him. Also, him beeing an outspoken supporter of practical effects/classic action-filmmaking is just so great on so many levels. There is a reason the last three Mission Impossible films are among the best action films of this century so far with Top Gun Maverick beeing the frontrunner for this decade as well.

• Like 3

In Hollywood, you're as big as your last movie. If his next movie flops, then we'd be having different names in discussion. ANyway, TG2 is big, let's see how he performs in a non IP, sequel film. DICaprio manages to sell original movies. He's the bigest star we have right now

Edited by Maggie

21 minutes ago, Maggie said:

In Hollywood, you're as big as your last movie. If his next movie flops, then we'd be having different names in discussion. ANyway, TG2 is big, let's see how he performs in a non IP, sequel film. DICaprio manages to sell original movies. He's the bigest star we have right now

That's faulty logic. Tom Cruise franchise movies are not the same as most popular IP. They 're relevant because he is still in them as the lead. If he wasn't no one would care. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Joel M said:

That's faulty logic. Tom Cruise franchise movies are not the same as most popular IP. They 're relevant because he is still in them as the lead. If he wasn't no one would care. 

Remember when they tried to make Renner the next star of the MI films? Good times, lol. 

• Like 1