EmpireCity

Weekly Thread 6/20/22 - JWD $8.5m, TGM $8.0m, LY $6.8m

18 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Taking my mom to Elvis tomorrow. The Cinemark is all sold out so we got tickets at the IMAX theater on the Boardwalk.

I'm taking my mom to see it Saturday and the entire auditorium is sold out except for the first two rows, with the other shows looking similarly filled. Definitely starting to feel like a surprise breakout is more likely than not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm not convinced.  It's gonna do fine, but I'm not thinking over the top 2...

It's not something I think people are gonna walk up to, when they have a chance to finally see TGM on Imax again and say "no, let's choose Elvis today"...

But then, I never judge the music bio movies well...there is a market - I just don't know if they are the market totally back or lagging.  Since I think it's mostly older white women, I'm gonna think lagging...

Elvis is just selling too well and it skews older as well, so by nature it is a walk up and not rush out and see it movie.  

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, DTP said:

I'd be more tempted to see Elvis if the reviews weren't mixed.  Curious to see how WOM is, though.

For Baz Luhrmann standards it’s reviews are pretty high. Moulin Rouge was the last movie to get received this well for him.

Edited by ringedmortality
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, DTP said:

I'd be more tempted to see Elvis if the reviews weren't mixed.  Curious to see how WOM is, though.

The reviews aren't mixed.  The majority of them are positive to very positive.  

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, DTP said:

10 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The reviews aren't mixed.  The majority of them are positive to very positive.  

most are positive to very positive, but it looks mixed because those that didnt like it hated it

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

This is kind of stupid by this theater

I wonder if it was just a joke to quell the Karens? The kiss is a split second. So you can just tell people you'll fast-forward through it, and most won't notice if you don't.

Waiting for audience score to judge I guess. The Black Phone could be an B+,A- or A if it's really good judging by reactions so far. I can't objectively judge musical biopics since I don't care for them so still not really sure how Elvis will do but people seem to generally like it. 

Edited by Hilpkioy

I'm also going to mention again that this is the first time since the pandemic began that theaters have a robust set of films with multiple huge films coming up.  A lot of theaters need to bury something to clear the road for as many screens of Minions and Thor: Love and Thunder as they can get.  

Many of them are going to take the opportunity to stick it to Disney, and my guess is you see Lightyear run out of a whole lot of theaters by July 7th.  It isn't going to get the opportunity to recover and have July legs.  

I know for a fact a lot of theaters cut back to one screen this week already and have moved it down to their smaller houses for the upcoming weekend.  

• Like 9