EmpireCity

Weekly Thread 6/20/22 - JWD $8.5m, TGM $8.0m, LY $6.8m

1 hour ago, VanillaSkies said:

Well, at least summer weekdays are helping somewhat! Maybe it can leg it’s way through July if Minions doesn’t completely wreck it. 

I don't think there was an official report as to its audience breakdown but my audience over the weekend was actually pretty diverse which could bode well for staying power. Mentioned before that I think 4th of July holiday is gonna be pretty good for everything with the headliner for that holiday weekend being an animated franchise that's losing its 4-quad event status more with each movie.

48 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Wait what.

I for one thought it was a delight to watch the Top Gun Maverick trailer in theatres a couple times a month for two years. Fucking banger of a trailer 

I actually cried at that teaser trailer. And I’m not remotely ashamed of it 

48 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Wait what.

I for one thought it was a delight to watch the Top Gun Maverick trailer in theatres a couple times a month for two years. Fucking banger of a trailer 

It was mocked a lot online and there was backlash over China pandering in some aspects initially.

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

It was mocked a lot online and there was backlash over China pandering in some aspects initially.

I’ll be honest, I don’t remember any negativity or mocking around it. That shit was like the first Force Awakens trailer. People were JACKED!!!  Couldn’t believe how good it looked and it had all the feels. 

I rewatched that teaser more than any trailer since that first Awakens trailer. 

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think it's gonna go...

1. TGM

2. JWD

3. Elvis

4. Lightyear

5. Black Phone

But throw this order in a blender, and it wouldn't surprise me in any direction...

I’m close to you:

1. TGM

2. Elvis 

3. JWD

4. LY

5. BP 

Think it’s a 2.5-way race to 1st at $33/$34M (I’ll be decently surprised if JWD beat both of the other two), and then a question of high BP can go vs how much LY falls, with a cut line in low $20s. Like 8, maybe 12, different ways the top 5 can ultimately shake out IMO

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’ll be honest, I don’t remember any negativity or mocking around it. That shit was like the first Force Awakens trailer. People were JACKED!!!  Couldn’t believe how good it looked and it had all the feels. 

I rewatched that teaser more than any trailer since that first Awakens trailer. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/04/taiwan-cheers-top-gun-maverick-for-defying-chinese-censors.html They reversed it but in 2019 there was a good deal of mockery for removing Maverick's Taiwan and Japan flags from his jacket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

Hmmm I don't remember any of that. Remember reception for the trailer here being positive 

1 hour ago, PDC1987 said:

Elvis presales have exploded in my area. (NE Ohio.)

Looking at the Friday sales in my area, Elvis would seem to be headed for a fourth place finish this weekend. Granted, this is not a pre-sales type of film at all; but it’s numbers so far in my area are not impressive.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This is kind of stupid by this theater

some poor sap has to set an alarm to give them enough time to run up to the booth to hit skip button on a split second kiss. I would tell them to fuck ALL the way off. 

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This is kind of stupid by this theater

Also probably going to lose them their LY and maybe even Thor playdates once it gets to Disney execs 

Choose to play the movie or don’t, but theaters don’t have discretion to edit (in this case FF) content 

Edited by M37

16 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

some poor sap has to set an alarm to give them enough time to run up to the booth to hit skip button on a split second kiss. I would tell them to fuck ALL the way off. 

Apparently the name is the 89er theater, probably named for the average age of their patron.

• Haha 2

Eh, I'd take that over not being able to see Lightyear at all. I'd have to fly to India in the east or Greece in the west to have any chance of legally seeing it in this lifetime. Kinda sucks since I was a big Toy Story fan as a kid. I could probably order a blu Ray from overseas but it'll probably get confiscated so I'm gonna have to resort to the high seas or see it on a friend's disney+ while I'm on holiday. Smh