EmpireCity

Weekly Thread 6/20/22 - JWD $8.5m, TGM $8.0m, LY $6.8m

1 hour ago, Juby said:

Maverick will easily beat record for best legs of +$100 million opener (Shrek 2 x4.08, or Wonder Woman x4.00) and can go even as high as x5.00 multiplayer! Does anyone know when the last time such thing happen for non-christmas wide release? I think there's no such film in XXI century. Inception with x4.66 is the best I can find.

Edit:

The Hangover in 2009 wass the last time i guess. Or Bridesmaids in 2011, but it was released in less than 3000 theaters. For a film with +$50 million OW that's unheard of, I think.

Gravity was REALLY close with 4.91x off $55m ow.

• Thanks 1

What type of jumps are we expecting on Friday considering we are getting deeper into the Summer? Because these are some really good weekdays for TG2 and JW3. Can JW3 do 30M+?

18 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Thanks a lot!! So there was one film with nearly 5x and over $50m opening. I think TGM will beat this result with slighly over 5x multiplayer as the best one is 21st century and the best since 1999. AMAZING!!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

And that includes a GG/Oscar bump which added $15-$20M at the end of the run

But similar strong WOM plus must see in specialty format (3D) factor 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Top Gun? Dog? Even Death on Nile beat the very low expectations with walk-ups.

Yeah, sometimes there's a Downton Abbey, or whatever, but in the last few months I don't think this is necessarily true

Top Gun wasn't walkup heavy on the weekend, especially for a movie with such stellar WOM. There is a difference between a movie being leggy and relying on walkups. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Top Gun? Dog? Even Death on Nile beat the very low expectations with walk-ups.

Yeah, sometimes there's a Downton Abbey, or whatever, but in the last few months I don't think this is necessarily true

No I think he's on to something. In Philly at least, everything that's been skewing towards adults has seen pretty poor final weeks. NTTD died on the last week, Top Gun 2 had muted jumps, right now Elvis has been pretty dismal. Walk-ups just don't exist for these kinds of movies anymore, at least on Thursday.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eric Presley said:

No I think he's on to something. In Philly at least, everything that's been skewing towards adults has seen pretty poor final weeks. NTTD died on the last week, Top Gun 2 had muted jumps, right now Elvis has been pretty dismal. Walk-ups just don't exist for these kinds of movies anymore, at least on Thursday.

Can assure you it’s not just a Philly thing 😉

TGM had banked so many tickets before those final days that it didn’t really matter, but had the lowest % increase of any film not NWH/MoM from T-4 to T-0/final, both of which had a HUGE fan rush and limited capacity that reduced demand for late ticket buys 

Particularly for dramatic/event films, older adults are buying their tickets (at least for OW) early, not late - essentially  treating it like a “show” and booking way in advance. (The fact that most seating is now reserved and they can’t just show up 30-40 mins early, buy a ticket, and grab their preferred seat may also be a factor). Comedies, which bring in a more causal audience (Lost City, Dog), can still have good walkup/late ticket sales growth 

Edited by M37

The thing about walk-ups nowadays is, once your preview number is in, it pretty much "lock" your ultimate weekend number, There is hardly any surprise element like you can have unusual walk-in business throughout the weekend. The most you can go is 10x-11x of preview number.  

5 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

The thing about walk-ups nowadays is, once your preview number is in, it pretty much "lock" your ultimate weekend number, There is hardly any surprise element like you can have unusual walk-in business throughout the weekend. The most you can go is 10x-11x of preview number.  

Unless it's a very accessible kids film like the Minions where the preview to weekend multiplier is much higher since families usually wait for the Friday release or Saturday since Thursday isn't as advertised as much and is more fan heavy.