EmpireCity

Weekly Thread 6/20/22 - JWD $8.5m, TGM $8.0m, LY $6.8m

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

I think I won right wing bingo with this tweet

if you take the woke and the marxism parts out of that tweet I think itd agree with it

Universal will see an extra pop from Jurassic World Dominion‘s third weekend, expected to be around $29M in second place. The Amblin production made $4.8M yesterday at 4,697 theaters, -11% from Wednesday for a $85.1M second week and $276.3M running total.

Disney/Pixar’s Lightyear did an estimated $3.8M yesterday, -10% from Wednesday, for a $71M first week. Updated projections have the Toy Story spinoff between $23M-28M (45-55%) in weekend 2.

• Like 1

At this rate I don't see how Lightyear doesn't finish at #5. With Minions next week I think there's a good chance it doesn't even make it to $150m at the end of the day.

Black Phone, OTOH...feels like a huge win for theaters. $30m isn't out of the cards with those previews, and WOM will keep it going without a lot of horror competition until Nope from what I hear. Might even finish in the top 2 this weekend.

Pretty solid for Elvis, def gonna be closer to Rocketman than Bohemian Rhapsody but nice to see an adult drama can still make bank.

Elvis could still bring one over Top Gun, but it’ll be a close race. I think Elvis will take the #1 spot this weekend by a small margin. TG could easily overtake it within a few days, but Elvis should have just enough momentum over the weekend to eke out a win.

Black Phone’s preview numbers are definitely a surprise. When all is said and done, we could see an opening weekend between $25-30M. A #3 finish (beating out Dominion and Lightyear) is looking to be more of a likely scenario at this point. Top 2 might be pushing it, but hey, it might surpass our expectations again.

Lightyear is definitely in a tough position right now. Best case scenario is a $20-25M finish for the weekend, placing it in #5 behind Dominion. With Minions set to draw in a major family audience next week, this is definitely not going to be the box office smash it was thought to be.