Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

I certainly had wanted to give Pixar the benefit of the doubt since they usually at least have the storytelling chops to make cashgrabs palatable, but in post viewing hindsight the production was totally wrongheaded from the start.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Oh so it has to be in more than just Los Angeles now?

A movie just has to play in one qualifying market: Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, the Bay Area, Miami or Atlanta. In the past, the qualifying run had to show in LA County for 7 days and prior to it hitting streaming, but now it can be in any one of those cities, day-and-date is fine.

https://news.yahoo.com/oscars-academy-restores-theatrical-qualifying-170004048.html

Turning Red did play at the El Capitan in Hollywood, so it's eligible for Oscars.

Is that a worse second weekend drop for Lightyear than Onward in March 2020? What a flop for LY.

• Like 1

A terrible weekend at the box office. Not only that Elvis not blowing up like the way some of us imagine, all holdovers except TGM have sub-par hold especially LY. Thanks to LY embarrassing figures, the entire June will miss $1bn mark by just $40m.....

Hope Minion and Thor 4 have some mercy to July box office, especially both provide some serious laughter that moviegoers will desperately need in summer.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I bet TGM win the weekend, and WB probably has talked with Par on this for getting some warm presses.

The actual numbers for TGM might go up. 👩🏻‍💼👩🏻‍🦰

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

LY's -65% is a very strange, unusual hold , even for a Pixar movie with apparently weaker WOM. Even Cars 3 and TGD have better hold than that.

This is the biggest piece of evidence to prove that Disney+ has a big damage to Pixar brand as big screen event. Even with bad legs, I don't think they should put this on Disney+ quickly. That will only further reinforce the idea that a Pixar film is easily accessible without additional charges at home. They have to rebuild that habit.  

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Onward dropped 73% in its second (and final) week so, close but no cigar!

Thanks. Well, at least Lightyear missed out on that Pixar record, that it's somewhat comparable is pretty bad.

TGM will likely come out ahead in the actuals as well. I can't be that disappointed in Elvis, most prestige movies last year couldn't scrape up $30m domestic in total, let alone opening weekend.

The Ouija/Nightcrawler weekend was another close one.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Idk why... but I was here a bit worried thinking about Pixar future. Specifically thinking about Elemental. 

And out of nowhere, something clicked in my head about Elemental. I can't really tell why but I have a feeling Elemental will play very well with kids in the summer. Don't know why. 

Maybe it's just this hopeful and exciting feeling I just have about 2023 box office prospects overall. 

But there's something about Elemental that I really could see it breakout. Maybe it's the element characters. Feels very summer-ish.