Eric the IF

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

21 minutes ago, Thena said:

🤣🤣🤣He needs Leo, You're right. Setting up him badly. When was the last time he got a hit? Cruise destroys him in BO. With this hate he's getting, BT will be a flop and also reactions to thrailer weren't great. Don't think critics will love it either.

Leo is not on Bullet Train and Babylon lol.

I'm expecting those movie to be big, maybe i'm wrong but I'm taking all life making 400M with an original movie than 1B with franchises and a sequel after 40 years. Drew Barrymore can make 2.5B with an E.T sequel after 40 years. people are acting as Tom is again the King Of Hollywood and HE can't open The mummy, just think he can open something like The renevant. 

Edited by vale9001

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

Leo is not on Bullet Train and Babylon lol.

I'm expecting those movie to be big, maybe i'm wrong but I'm taking all life making 400M with an original movie than 1B with franchises and a sequel after 40 years. Drew Barrymore can make 2.5B with an E.T sequel after 40 years. people are acting as Tom is again the King Of Hollywood and it can't open The mummy, just think he can open The renevant. 

You're slow. Brad can't carry a movie by his own anymore. That's why I said he needs Leo..Allied and Ad Astra both bombed. When has cruise flopped like that even? Cruise isn't king either but he's way bigger than Pitt for sure.

• Like 1

Top Gun 2 of all movies outgrossing a May Marvel blockbuster was not on my bingo card for the foreseeable future. Its current domestic total was what I saw the movie making worldwide in my most optimistic expectations. Absolutely incredible. Here's to hoping Thor 4 gets to a billion as well.

Abysmal performance from Lightyear. Its performance has me very worried about Strange World and the animated Disney brand as a whole. The former will no doubt have conservative Kool-Aid men frothing at the mouth akin to Lightyear, on top of being part of a genre Disney has struggled to sell in the past. I really don't want to see the two Spider-Verse movies get sent to die on Netflix, so fingers crossed the other animation houses deliver this year, because I don't see Disney shaking off the Plus effect until after Chapek's run ends.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Thena said:

You're slow. Brad can't carry a movie by his own anymore. That's why I said he needs Leo..Allied and Ad Astra both bombed. When has cruise flopped like that even? Cruise isn't king either but he's way bigger than Pitt for sure.

he doesn't make a movie as Allied and Ad Astra since the 90s so..

Edited by vale9001

A -23% Sunday drop seems steep for Elvis. I’m guessing it’ll be underestimated and hopefully it can win.

Just back from Elvis, it was great. 

The $20m international start from 52 markets doesn’t look great though. 

Edited by Krissykins

TGMs weekend is insane. Looking at BOMs chart of fifth weekends, this is actually the second best fifth weekend of all-time. I don't count American Sniper because it was in it's second full weekend at that time. Anyway, this is a crazy, crazy run.

And, damn, Lightyear, what a drop. Fuck. $17M 2nd weekend for a Pixar Toy Story spin-off. Ouch.

Edited by CloneWars
  • Like 1

The audience for Elvis was 60% older than 35. Clearly, older audiences are now feeling more comfortable returning to the cinema, as that stat tracks higher for other recent films aimed at older audiences, including:

May’s Top Gun: Maverick (55%)

December 2021’s West Side Story (54%)

October 2021’s The Last Duel (51%)

• Like 1

Went to see TGM Saturday night on IMAX.. My second time seeing it, but I wanted to catch it again on the IMAX.  Theater was nearly sold out except for the first two rows. Hard to believe.  But, damn, that's a good movie. My elderly aunt went to see it and loved it. Why did she go see it?  Her Sunday School class of white-haired ladies was talking about it.  You know you have a hit on your hands if is crossing over that much, lol.  It has been really fun to follow the success of a movie when I feel like it deserves it. Sure, any success is good for theaters, but it's always nice when it really feels like the success is because the movie is just genuinely that good.

• Like 3

In the 21 years that I have followed the box office closely, I would put both the performances of both TOP GUN: MAVERICK and LIGHTYEAR in the top 10 biggest surprises. Obviously on opposite ends of the spectrum, but TG:M is now in the truly upper echelon of leggy summer breakouts while LY is an all-time epic flop - yes, it's a flop, not a disappoint, but a straight up bomb. Stunning for both films. 

• Like 3

If Thor fails to make $1B, then it’s 5 out of 6 last MCU movies to not hit the Billie. Kinda shit streak there. Bringing the MCU average down further. :gold: I wished it could hit $1B average sometimes in the future after EG. But then, you know COVID happened and now Russia, China, LGBT + content overload with Disney+ series + diminishing returns etc… You could also argue that MCU is in serious decline now. 

With the same problems still persist, If I was a Marvel CEO, I honestly think it’s better to and will delay everything after Thor and make MCU go on to hiatus for 10 years. Like build the anticipation and interest again, refresh the brand and wait til international markets getting better (less sensitive China to Marvel, Muslim Countries to LGBT and war over). Before back to a bang in 2032. Merchandise, series, games etc still working to remind people that MCU still exist and make them want the continuation. Just the movies that will go on halt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 8
  • Knock It Off 1

11 minutes ago, Claudio said:

If Thor fails to make $1B, then it’s 5 out of 6 last MCU movies to not hit the Billie. Kinda shit streak there. Bringing the MCU average down further. :gold: I wished it could hit $1B average sometimes in the future after EG. But then, you know COVID happened and now Russia, China, LGBT + content overload with Disney+ series + diminishing returns etc… You could also argue that MCU is in serious decline now. 

With the same problems still persist, If I was a Marvel CEO, I honestly think it’s better to and will delay everything after Thor and make MCU go on to hiatus for 10 years. Like build the anticipation and interest again, refresh the brand and wait til international markets getting better (less sensitive China to Marvel, Muslim Countries to LGBT and war over). Before back to a bang in 2032. Merchandise, series, games etc still working to remind people that MCU still exist and make them want the continuation. Just the movies that will go on halt. 

Hell will freeze over before they put the MCU on hiatus, it's not going to happen. Even WB doesn't let Batman rest for long.