Eric Lasagna

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

4 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Woudnt it be funny if we would get a Black Panther-situation where the movie stands at 699,9M for like 2 months before crossing 700M?

Crossing only thanks to some "magic Disney numbers" from its last 7 days. Black Panther's $700 million is a bs.

But okay, let's say Black Panther added $95m after its 5th weekend (and it was highly inflated number due to Infinity War release and some double-features). No Way Home added $106.8m (3rd best from all time Top10 only behind Avatar and Titanic) and Gran Torino (its 5th weekend was 1st in wide release) added $107.5m. TGM is doing even better than all of them, so at least $107.5m + $521.7m (current Mav. dom) = $629.2m.

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Hell will freeze over before they put the MCU on hiatus, it's not going to happen. Even WB doesn't let Batman rest for long.

WB made a mistake for that, they paid the price and Of course I don’t want Marvel to make the same mistake. They put Batman too soon just 4 years after TDKR in BvS then SS then JL and look what happened to those films. Just now in 2022 with The Batman (10 years after), they can revived the interest and put him in right direction again. So yeah, I think 10 years is the perfect time to build interest and avoiding fatigue.

24 minutes ago, Claudio said:

If Thor fails to make $1B, then it’s 5 out of 6 last MCU movies to not hit the Billie. Kinda shit streak there. Bringing the MCU average down further. :gold: I wished it could hit $1B average sometimes in the future after EG. But then, you know COVID happened and now Russia, China, LGBT + content overload with Disney+ series + diminishing returns etc… You could also argue that MCU is in serious decline now. 

With the same problems still persist, If I was a Marvel CEO, I honestly think it’s better to and will delay everything after Thor and make MCU go on to hiatus for 10 years. Like build the anticipation and interest again, refresh the brand and wait til international markets getting better (less sensitive China to Marvel, Muslim Countries to LGBT and war over). Before back to a bang in 2032. Merchandise, series, games etc still working to remind people that MCU still exist and make them want the continuation. Just the movies that will go on halt. 

You're absolutely precious if you think Disney is going to let their 30 BILLION DOLLAR franchise slow down even a bit, much less go on some kind of......hiatus. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Claudio said:

WB made a mistake for that, they paid the price and Of course I don’t want Marvel to make the same mistake. They put Batman too soon just 4 years after TDKR in BvS then SS then JL and look what happened to those films. Just now in 2022 with The Batman (10 years after), they can revived the interest and put him in right direction again. So yeah, I think 10 years is the perfect time to build interest and avoiding fatigue.

Batman hasn't been on hiatus much if at all,  even excluding the DCEU films, there was Joker and also The Lego Batman Movie. 

2 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

You're absolutely precious if you think Disney is going to let their 30 BILLION DOLLAR franchise slow down even a bit, much less go on some kind of......hiatus. 

I think for the long term prospect. Better to rest it now than later when the brand gets more serious damage cause more interest is lost.

TGM crossing a billion w/o China and Russia and still having tons of steam ahead, while DS2 has to fall back on "it would have made a billion if it was released in China and Russia" excuse is something very few saw coming. So whoever you are, hats off to you! 

fly-by-top-gun-maverick.gif

speeding past competition

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

Of the 5 last MCU movies. 

- One was a spin off of a dead character that was released on D+ the same day;

- Two are original movies released during Delta peak and very close to Omicron outbreak;

- And two are event movies, one did a billie and the other won't do it because of 50M and with somewhat bad WOM. 

Detail: all without China and with a lot of TV shows dropping around the movies.

This is ridiculous, come on now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Claudio said:

I think for the long term prospect. Better to rest it now than later when the brand gets more serious damage cause more interest is lost.

They currently have films in production or post production. They're not going to throw money down the drains cancelling them.

47 minutes ago, Claudio said:

I wished it could hit $1B average sometimes in the future after EG. But then, you know COVID happened and now Russia, China, LGBT + content overload with Disney+ series + diminishing returns etc… You could also argue that MCU is in serious decline now. 

With the same problems still persist, If I was a Marvel CEO, I honestly think it’s better to and will delay everything after Thor and make MCU go on to hiatus for 10 years. Like build the anticipation and interest again, refresh the brand and wait til international markets getting better (less sensitive China to Marvel, Muslim Countries to LGBT and war over). Before back to a bang in 2032. Merchandise, series, games etc still working to remind people that MCU still exist and make them want the continuation. Just the movies that will go on halt. 

Well thank fuck you're not, nor someone like you. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Batman hasn't been on hiatus much if at all,  even excluding the DCEU films, there was Joker and also The Lego Batman Movie. 

Joker didn’t even show adult Batman or Batman in costume just child Batman with less than 3 minutes screen time maybe. 
Lego Batman is animation so not too significant for the Batman itself. Sure, it’s a success but it’s a different ‘Batman’ not kinda like the superhero live action Batman that’s going around. And also, it ‘only’ made $312M but luckily the budget is only $80M.

11 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I, too, would want my movie franchise that turns out 900M - 1B+ grossers on a regular basis three times a year to go on a 10 year hiatus.

Heyyy, I got that idea from you btw (JW needs 10 years hiatus). JW and MCU is now in the same declining mode so why not try the hiatus plan on the MCU too.

I swear some of y'all think every MCU movie after Endgame will do Endgame numbers when they clearly don't

I don't think BW, SC, or Eternals would've done a billion without COVID

Just because not every movie reaches a billion it doesn't automatically mean it is a failure or it didn't make as much money as EG

In other words, the MCU will be just fine

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Claudio said:

If Thor fails to make $1B, then it’s 5 out of 6 last MCU movies to not hit the Billie. Kinda shit streak there. Bringing the MCU average down further. :gold: I wished it could hit $1B average sometimes in the future after EG. But then, you know COVID happened and now Russia, China, LGBT + content overload with Disney+ series + diminishing returns etc… You could also argue that MCU is in serious decline now. 

Guy From Viral 'Blinking Guy' Meme Is Using His GIF To Raise Awareness For  Multiple Sclerosis

8 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Heyyy, I got that idea from you btw (JW needs 10 years hiatus). JW and MCU is now in the same declining mode so why not try the hiatus plan on the MCU too.

I dont think you can compare JW and the MCU in this regard though. The main strength of the MCU is that it is now so vast and has so many (possible) storylines going on that even 1 disappointing entry like for example Eternals doesnt really matter in the big picture. Also, you have individual movie series like GOTG or the Thor movies where fans will flock to it even though they maybe skipped/didnt like Eternals or Doctor Strange 2.

The MCU is a franchise that is literally too big to fail at the moment in my opinion. It woud probably need 3, 4 or 5 consecutive "bad movies" in a row to really make a dent and for it to actually loose the trust from the GA. But at the moment - and especially if Thor 4 is well-liked - i dont see that. Marvels quality control is just too good.

JP/JW on the other hand - one movie can make or break the series, just like with many other franchises that are more like "classic" movie series and less like cinematic universes. Considering Dominion goes over with audiences not as well as Fallen Kingdom did, i would expect a considerable decline if Jurassic World 4 should come out in 2 or 3 years. But giving it a longer hiatus can make people forget their qualms with the last entry and if the movies premise is good enough make it a breakout again.

Long story short - what is logical for normal franchises is imo not compatible with the MCU since the MCU is its own beast that doesnt follow the same rules like other franchises.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Wait, what? Look what happened to those films? Didn't both BvS and Suicide Squad both sell more actual tickets than The Batman? Both were 6 years ago. He's featured as the lead in one and has a prominent cameo in the other. People didn't like those movies a ton that's why there were diminishing returns. 10 years for MCU? I don't disagree that they're likely pumping out too much product between the series and all the films but that hiatus is ludicrous. Why would you compare this to Jurassic movies? That's 6 movies total. There definitely isn't Jurassic fatigue. JWD just wasn't well received enough to make even more more money. And, for a series that's 6 films over THIRTY YEARS it's incomparable to what MCU is... MCU is about to get to 30 films in 14 year plus however many series are Disney+ (Wanda, Falcon, Loki, Hawkeye, Marvel, Moon)... So 36 series or films in 14 years not including the Netflix ones even and all the other superhero stuff out there. Jurassic is the ONLY dinosaur franchise unless you stretch it to include the Kong and Godzilla flicks.

• Like 1