Eric Furiosa

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

23 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Well thank fuck you're not, nor someone like you. 

don’t know why you bold them but regarding that: 

The CEO one of course just an imagination

But the LGBT one is true. It’s one of the factors that hurts recent MCU (or others) box office. Many countries still not open to LGBT and they always ban movies with them but thankfully they’re not that large to affect the gross so much. Like DS2 that lost $20M cause Middle East. But that’s just a tiny part of problem. $20M is nothing. The bigger one is the other factor that I wrote like no China, Russia or diminishing returns.

same as the content overload. Just this year we have 3 Movies + potentially 5 Disney+ series (MK, Ms Marvel, Shehulk, What if, whatever coming in Q4 maybe secret invasion????). That’s like 8 projects and Feige said they’ll all be connected. Like bruhhh. That’s overload and will make some audiences feel fatigue. Definitely will kill some interest there.

1 hour ago, Claudio said:

d it could hit $1B average sometimes in the future after EG. But then, you know COVID happened and now Russia, China, LGBT + content overload with Disney+ series + diminishing returns etc… You could also argue that MCU is in serious decline now. 

Where exactly is this overload of LGBT content on Disney cause it sure as hell isn't in the movies?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Claudio said:

But the LGBT one is true. It’s one of the factors that hurts recent MCU (or others) box office. Many countries still not open to LGBT and they always ban movies with them but thankfully they’re not that large to affect the gross so much. Like DS2 that lost $20M cause Middle East. But that’s just a tiny part of problem. $20M is nothing. The bigger one is the other factor that I wrote like no China, Russia or diminishing returns.

same as the content overload. Just this year we have 3 Movies + potentially 5 Disney+ series (MK, Ms Marvel, Shehulk, What if, whatever coming in Q4 maybe secret invasion????). That’s like 8 projects and Feige said they’ll all be connected. Like bruhhh. That’s overload and will make some audiences feel fatigue. Definitely will kill some interest there.

Yup... And, said fatigue resulted in a mixed reception Strange doing 415M DOM and just under a 1B WW... And, while it's leaps and bounds from where it was last summer, the box office is still very much in recovery not to mention the shorter theatrical windows. I think you're really, really stretching here. 

I do agree with the content overload but, hey, when the movies are making 805M, 415M... Thor 4 potentially 400M+ DOM as well. Black Panther likely 400M+ DOM too... They're not going to stop making these. Right now, these are the highest grossing movies at the box office period outside of TGM and Avatar. Not only would it be foolish, it would be horrible for theaters if all of the sudden they opted for some ridiculous hiatus because 400M+ DOM for their big movies wasn't enough. I can't wrap my head around what you're saying at all. 

You brought up Batman earlier as an example of a hiatus working (really had little to no hiatus but whatever) and it made less or considerably less than the recent big MCU properties likely Spidey and Strange. Unless Joker's the villain or features as one of the villains, the next one won't get super big either. 400M+ like Strange or something in that range if no Joker. Again, I thought Batman did very well with nice legs but how can you bring that up as hiatus working then look to Strange or, potentially, Thor as reasons why MCU might need a hiatus when they're making more than it and all cost the same?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Claudio said:

The right thing to do when faced with wrong is not to bow down to it and back off. But according to you the best way to address the hurt feelings of regressive and homophobic people and countries is to stop making movies with LGBT representation. Which is why I said I am glad someone who thinks like you is not the CEO or Marvel. 

Perhaps a quote from one of these MCU movies will get the message across better

Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say, 'No, *you* move'.

• Like 4

Congrats to Top Gun. I thought Elvis would've performed better, but it's a wild ride. Austin Butler's magnetic performance will catapult him into pop culture. I still can't believe it's the same actor who played Tex Watson in Once Upon a Time. As for Top Gun, it might be possible the film doesn't see a 50+ percent drop (overall weekend) until the weekend following July 4th. Insane.

Edited by ThePhasmid

Have to say I think if WB is able to persuade Baz to do a tentpole of some kind, it would at least be visually amazing. I wonder if he'll ever consider reviving his Alexander the Great film he was developing in the 2000s although saying that, I wouldn't mind if he did something small scale for a change.

Edited by Jonwo

1 hour ago, Claudio said:

If Thor fails to make $1B, then it’s 5 out of 6 last MCU movies to not hit the Billie. Kinda shit streak there. Bringing the MCU average down further. :gold: I wished it could hit $1B average sometimes in the future after EG. But then, you know COVID happened and now Russia, China, LGBT + content overload with Disney+ series + diminishing returns etc… You could also argue that MCU is in serious decline now. 

With the same problems still persist, If I was a Marvel CEO, I honestly think it’s better to and will delay everything after Thor and make MCU go on to hiatus for 10 years. Like build the anticipation and interest again, refresh the brand and wait til international markets getting better (less sensitive China to Marvel, Muslim Countries to LGBT and war over). Before back to a bang in 2032. Merchandise, series, games etc still working to remind people that MCU still exist and make them want the continuation. Just the movies that will go on halt. 

Ok I know what’s going on. He meant to have a comma between the words “content” and “overload”, thus not implying that there is an overload of LGBT+ content, right?

Edited by Xavier

The MCU on a hiatus? 

Is there any franchise that since 2009 has released 28 movies, and it's most recent almost did a Billion? And the 27th almost did 2 Billion? 

And that it's 29th movie (Thor 4) will likely make around 800-950M? Without China mind you and other markets. 

There's no franchise that can even come close. 

Black Panther 2 will the MCU 30th MOVIE!! Do we even realize how insane that is? 30 movies since 2009 of a single franchise still kicking like barely any franchise can. 

And we still have Avengers movies, Young Avengers movies, Thunderbolts, Midnight Suns, Fantastic Four trilogy I bet, Deadpool, Cap 4, Blade trilogy I bet, Shang-Chi trilogy and the yet another crown jewel to come... the Mutants. And so much more. 

This franchise will be at it's 50th movie kicking ass still. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

When is Paramount announcing another Top Gun? The billion dollar crossing just makes it seem inevitable now.

As tempting as it is, I think they should leave it on a high.

• Like 10

I don't think they should back down on the LGBTQ content. I think it barely has an impact on the domestic market. At least in MCU movies. 

I do think they should make the cut for other countries. Disney will never change the politics of these countries and that's not what they're supposed to do. If some 20 seconds cut is needed to play in countries like China, just do it. Some people will cry but whatever. It's social media. That's what they do. 

It's becoming more apparent that Disney does need China to break a billion and if they want Secret Wars to break Endgame numbers, they will need China. 

Edited by Juan Caballo

People thinking Universal will just shelf Jurassic Park for 10 years are nuts. This is Universal's biggest franchise, the jewell of the crown. I give it 6 years max until a new one comes out. 

The MCU should rest talk is so morbilliastic that I won't even bother to mention it beyond this small bit.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Juan Caballo said:

I don't think they should back down on the LGBTQ content. I think it barely has an impact on the domestic market. At least in MCU movies. 

I do think they should make the cut for other countries. Disney will never change the politics of these countries and that's not what they're supposed to do. If some 20 seconds cut is needed to play in countries like China, just do it. Some people will call Disney hypocrite but whatever. It's social media. That's what they do. 

It's becoming more apparent that Disney does need China to break a billion and if they want Secret Wars to break Endgame numbers, they will need China. 

A few seconds of a background character being implied LGBTQ comes off as a pathetic effort of representation though and feels like a major studio head just trying to tick a box so they can look progressive. Until we're accepted in other countries I don't see proper LGBTQ representation in blockbuster films, sadly. 

WRT to the lGBT content, 

they should not cut it to appease regressive nations and lets be real those middle eastern countries + egypt who ban for that hardly move the needle box office wise, even with UAE, Egypt and Saudi DS2 would probably fall short of a billy and China has other problems (cough Simu Liu cough chloe zhao) with marvel and there's no appeasing them

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

People thinking Universal will just shelf Jurassic Park for 10 years are nuts. This is Universal's biggest franchise, the jewell of the crown. I give it 6 years max until a new one comes out. 

The MCU should rest talk is so morbilliastic that I won't even bother to mention it beyond this small bit.

I give it 14 years before Jurassic Universe, to be made by some indie director looking for his big break. I hear that Northwood Pie guy has some talent 😜

• Like 1

If LGBT content keeps being reduced to the kind that is an easy 20-second cut for bigot markets, that's not progress

US business more and more have been realizing the last few years that they can't keep up the facade of being "neutral" in a social media landscape, they have to take a stand and back it up with their actions. They might not be able to change another country's politics, but they have to at least be accountable for their own integrity.

• Like 1