Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

Elvis will have great WOM and doesn't have that much of competition for its audience for all the summer. With the summer weekdays even with non an extraordinary WOM should make at least 115M total. Let's see how much Hbo Max impacts. 

After its opening weekend Jurashit World was ahead of Top Gun: Maverick by $82.1m ($208.8m to $126.7m). After 5th weekend it's around $70 million ahead. I'm not sure if TGM can close this gap, even though JW was after 4th of July weekend and had shorter, more wide-release-packed summer in 2015.

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

Dominion will be around 9.2% behind FK at this point. Seems $375-380m domestic total.

Doctor Strange 2 should finish with $413-414 million. That would be the worst multiplayer in MCU history (44.9% of its domestic gross would be OW).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, John Marston said:

It's amazing how close their weekend gross was 3 weekends in a row:

1) MR:  $35.677m / L&S:  $35.260m

2) MR:  $21.590m / L&S:  $21.516m

3) MR:  $12.557m/ L&S:  $12.636m

In the end, Stitch won the domestic crown but Cruise easily won WW

26 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

In Elvis, do they use old Elvis recordings or do they remake the old songs?

A mixture of both apparently. In the third act I think it’s all Elvis, because that’s where his most recognisable performances were. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Eric Presley said:

I know this is unfair since I haven't seen it since I was a wee lad, but I don't remember that cartoon being that good? I remember feeling like it was just filler while waiting for other Disney Channel shows to come on.

yes it was a super fun show with bright colors, a memorable cast of characters, good humor, and memorable villains. The same main show people would go on to make Kim Possible and Big Hero 6: The Series

7 hours ago, GipJo said:

It's funny to me how China said no to all the movies that catered to China specially. From Mulan live action, to Shang-Chi the first Chinese superhero, and now Minion 2 that uses Chinese culture as background. All those efforts are useless. I hope Hollywood knows by now that just good story itself is enough for you to get money from China, making stories about China will only backfire.

Mulan also got killed by Piracy. It would have doubled in gross in China if not for D+ release in the states. Everyone I spoke to from China watched the film... and then when delved deeper, realised they watched illegally.

Millions of downloads before it was released...

So Elvis took #1 after all as I was expecting which it honestly needed it more than TGM. Crazy how close those estimates were though. TGM’s box office run is truly insane. Never would’ve predicted it would make this much even about a month ago.

Lightyear is falling without style.

Edited by Starde

$31m would give a 8.9x from preview + EA. I can't say i am satisfied since the walk-ups is not as strong as many hoped. I thought something between 35-40m with few people actually thought above 40m was a very likely scenario,  

Again, can’t emphasize enough what a big deal the opening is here for Elvis in regards to getting older females out and older moviegoers, especially for a movie with a two-and-half-hour plus running time. For 28% of those over 55, they’ve only seen one movie in the last two months before Elvis. This is according to Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak exits. It’s just more proof after streaming swallowing up theatrical genres during the pandemic that adult skewing movies, when packaged right, can work on the big screen. The question is whether young people will keep coming to Elvis: Older demos over 45 on PostTrak scored the film in the 90 percentile, however, the younger you go, the numbers ease, i.e. the 13-17 (turnout 6%) gave it a 76% while the 18-24 (15% turnout) graded it an 83%.

Of those who bought tickets to Elvis, PostTrak says that 49% came because of the subject matter/plot, while 25% came for Tom Hanks. In regards to the most influential piece of Elvis marketing from Warner Bros., 22% said it was the in-theater trailer that pulled them in, while 14% say it was TV spots, for 9% it was the online trailer, with good word of mouth (9%) also being a factor.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Since TGM actually win the true FSS, I don’t mind TGM claim the headline number 1 with estimate. Not surprised by the small sunday dip, opener tend to have smaller drop on Sunday since their Saturday bump was muted. 

A bit sad to see Elvis failed to breakout and settle at a ok level of 31m. The presale slowdown significantly somehow towards the opening night, like NTTD. 

• Like 1

Also coming in higher this weekend was Universal’s third weekend of Jurassic World Dominion with $26.7M, -55%, after a $8.25M Sunday (-61% from Saturday) with a $303M running total. And, the studio’s Blumhouse opening title, The Black Phone came in with $23.6M, after a $5.85M Sunday (-22% from Saturday).

• Like 2