Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

12 minutes ago, Juan Caballo said:

I don't think they should back down on the LGBTQ content. I think it barely has an impact on the domestic market. At least in MCU movies. 

I do think they should make the cut for other countries. Disney will never change the politics of these countries and that's not what they're supposed to do. If some 20 seconds cut is needed to play in countries like China, just do it. Some people will cry but whatever. It's social media. That's what they do. 

It's becoming more apparent that Disney does need China to break a billion and if they want Secret Wars to break Endgame numbers, they will need China. 

Dude, just stop.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Anyone else kinda wish those upcoming mission impossible movies came out before Top Gun Maverick, just because this would have felt like a more fitting end to Cruise's tenure as an action star? 

No. I understand what you mean but I liked the last three MI flicks more than TGM and I'm glad I have at least two more to look forward to.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

People thinking Universal will just shelf Jurassic Park for 10 years are nuts. This is Universal's biggest franchise, the jewell of the crown. I give it 6 years max until a new one comes out. 

The MCU should rest talk is so morbilliastic that I won't even bother to mention it beyond this small bit.

6 years is what i would do for JW. 10 years is too long, while 2-3 years is too short, so 5-7 years is the right ballpark imo.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Juan Caballo said:

I don't think they should back down on the LGBTQ content. I think it barely has an impact on the domestic market. At least in MCU movies. 

I do think they should make the cut for other countries. Disney will never change the politics of these countries and that's not what they're supposed to do. If some 20 seconds cut is needed to play in countries like China, just do it. Some people will cry but whatever. It's social media. That's what they do. 

It's becoming more apparent that Disney does need China to break a billion and if they want Secret Wars to break Endgame numbers, they will need China. 

But cutting out LGBTQ content to please other countries is not forward progress it's backward progress

Only thing Marvel should maybe consider is not having 3-4 movies and 3-4 shows a year that all have to be interconnected, maybe make standalone shows that aren't required viewership to understand a movie, eventually the barrier for bringing in new fans will get too high 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

6 years is what i would do for JW. 10 years is too long, while 2-3 years is too short, so 5-7 years is the right ballpark imo.

There was 14 years between JPIII and JW, I think a decade rest wouldn't be too surprising although TBH I think it'll be the 2030s before we see another Jurassic film.

I wonder how much leverage Cruise has over a possible Top Gun sequel. I'm indifferent to a future sequel right now, but do you think Paramount would give it a go without Cruise's involvement/approval. It almost seems like heresy even throwing this out as a hypothetical.

Edited by ThePhasmid

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Absolutely agree. It will be between 5 to 7 years. Probably closer to 5. It is pretty obvious at this point 5 years is more than enough for giant brands if the sequel/reboot is good and the marketing hook is solid enough. Fantastic Beasts, The Batman, TASM and Spider-Man: Homecoming all are good examples of that (I will dismiss the sequels, after the first movie you need to stand on your own and not release a giant turd into screens globally and hope for the best).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

There was 14 years between JPIII and JW, I think a decade rest wouldn't be too surprising although TBH I think it'll be the 2030s before we see another Jurassic film.

Universal wont wait another 14 or 10 years. Jurassic World is their biggest franchise. I mean how many franchises can have a movie with a 30% RT score still do 900-950M Worldwide? Fast & Furious is on the decline and Despicable Me isnt the juggernaut it once was (we ofc have to see how Minions does). 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

I wonder how much leverage Cruise has over a possible Top Gun sequel. I'm indifferent to a future sequel right now, but do you think Paramount would give it a go without Cruise's involvement/approval. It almost seems like heresy even throwing this out as a hypothetical.

It took over 30 years for TGM to happen so I think a Top Gun sequel without Cruise is very unlikely.

49 minutes ago, CJohn said:

People thinking Universal will just shelf Jurassic Park for 10 years are nuts. This is Universal's biggest franchise, the jewell of the crown. I give it 6 years max until a new one comes out. 

There was a 8-year gap between Batman & Robin and Batman Begins, with an entirely new vision. And in-between WB had Matrix, Harry Potter, Hobbit 

Audiences can forgive one sub-par outing in a franchise (see Tokoyo Drift), but two in a row is difficult to come back from. Otherwise it’s just the next Transformers with diminishing returns

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

There was a 8-year gap between Batman & Robin and Batman Begins, with an entirely new vision. And in-between WB had Matrix, Harry Potter, Hobbit 

Audiences can forgive one sub-par outing in a franchise (see Tokoyo Drift), but two in a row is difficult to come back from. Otherwise it’s just the next Transformers with diminishing returns

But using the Batman analogy could be right in this case for JW. We know Trevorrow and the characters weve known so far wont return for the next one (atleast this is the current information based on a Trevorrow interview), so Jurassic World 4 could be a new vision/start of a new era for the franchise and should it get at least a solid reception, i see no reason why the franchise should go down the Transformers way. 

• Like 1

what's more impressive joker's overseas performane or TGM domestic performance?

for context the 2nd highest r rated movie did 785m worldwide, joker did 738m OS 

and everyone knows rn how crazy TGM performane is

Edited by AnDr3s

54 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

Without Cruise's involvement would just be a flop, so what would be the point? 

One thing i'll say as far as LGBTQ+ stuff is that..... MCU movies are action movies, if someones love life is a significant chunk of the movie but at the same time irrelevant outside of just being LGBTQ+ then i really don't care. Something like Eternals is fine, something like the Romance in Spiderman is fine as LGBTQ+ but if you're going to have romance take up a lot of screen time and not have the romance be remotely related to plot stuff that's happening then it's just going to piss people off. Like you know the Thor romance stuff from the first movie it just took up screen time (I think it's been awhile since i watched Thor but i remember thinking that little bit of romance was pointless). 

For instance if Valkyrie and..... i don't remember the other ones name, show up in L&T for 5 minutes and do nothing of importance beyond having a McGuffin then it's just something shoe-horned in that doesn't really add anything to the plot beyond telling me what this character whose name i don't even remember has been doing for the last few years. If they are actually important in the fight against Gor then fair enough but at that point they need to make them useful without over-shadowing Thor since he's the title character. GotG is whatever since i'm not sure if they'll even be there throughout the entire movie....

TLDR: Actually do something with characters instead of having them there as a Token and people will eventually just not care.

Edited by Ledmonkey96

1 minute ago, AnDr3s said:

what's more impressive joker's overseas performane or TGM domestic performance?

for context the 2nd highest r rated movie did 785m worldwide, joker did 738m OS 

and everyone knows rn how crazy TGM performane is

One good thing about Joker doing so well is that we were spared a lot of stupid semantic arguments about whether Deadpool or Deadpool 2 is the highest grossing R rated movie since Deadpool 2 had money from "Once upon a Deadpool" in China and the world added to it to get to higher than Deadpool. But Once Upon A Deadpool was basically Deadpool 2 with a framing story and a PG-13 rating.