Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (6/24-26) | Actuals: Elvis 31.2, TGM 29.6, JWD 26.7, Black Phone 23.6, Lightyear 18.1

40 minutes ago, Eric Presley said:

I know this is unfair since I haven't seen it since I was a wee lad, but I don't remember that cartoon being that good? I remember feeling like it was just filler while waiting for other Disney Channel shows to come on.

Defunct tv covered it recently, sounded great from their descriptions with long running characters and continuity arcs

Edited by grim22

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

One good thing about Joker doing so well is that we were spared a lot of stupid semantic arguments about whether Deadpool or Deadpool 2 is the highest grossing R rated movie since Deadpool 2 had money from "Once upon a Deadpool" in China and the world added to it to get to higher than Deadpool. But Once Upon A Deadpool was basically Deadpool 2 with a framing story and a PG-13 rating.

*Stares blankly*

Legit forgot Once Upon a Deadpool was even a thing.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

$9.25m TGM

$8.3m Elvis

$8.1m JWD

$5.6m BP

$5.4m LY

Looks like the old ladies waited till Sunday to see Elvis.

Elvis needed the win more than TGM, which is already a mega hit.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Do we have similar info for other huge movies (my way of asking what percentage of endgame sales were repeat viewings)?

I remember TITANIC's unique admissions being 100m with 29m repeat. The relevance being that TITANIC still would have become the highest grossing film of its time without repeat viewings from teenage girls contrary to semi-popular myth.

• Like 2

Since this a toy story thread as well 

How is Toy Story 2 the worst reviewed (both by critics and audiences) of the original trilogy?

2 has a spot in my top 10 favorite movies while the other two are just great movies 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

4 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

How is Toy Story 2 the worst reviewed (both by critics and audiences) of the original trilogy?

2 probably has a spot in my top 5 favorite movies while the other two are just great movies 

Mostly because 3 is flat out brilliant and 4 is really good.  

6 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

2 has a spot in my top 10 favorite movies while the other two are just great movies 

Is it? I thought it was the best-reviewed movie of all time until Lady Bird came out?

12 minutes ago, Eric Presley said:

Is it? I thought it was the best-reviewed movie of all time until Lady Bird came out?

Thats the first one

Both 1 and 2 have 100% RT but average rating for 1 is a 9.10 and "only" 8.70 for 2, 95 vs 88 on metacritic, 4.2 vs 3.9 on letterboxd, and 8.3 vs 7.9 on imdb

3 also has leads in all 4 sites, even on rt, where it only has a 98%, its average rating is higher (8.90)

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

It's funny to me how China said no to all the movies that catered to China specially. From Mulan live action, to Shang-Chi the first Chinese superhero, and now Minion 2 that uses Chinese culture as background. All those efforts are useless. I hope Hollywood knows by now that just good story itself is enough for you to get money from China, making stories about China will only backfire.

3 hours ago, Eric Presley said:

I know this is unfair since I haven't seen it since I was a wee lad, but I don't remember that cartoon being that good? I remember feeling like it was just filler while waiting for other Disney Channel shows to come on.

I remember watching the pilot movie quite a bit (which still had Tim Allen). Wasn't anything Earth shattering but it had a lot of funny one liners and colorful characters, which is far more than I could say for this Lightyear. Has a similar emotional arc as well that is executed far better. I could buy Andy wanting a Lightyear toy from it.

Edited by AniNate

Happy for Elvis. It needs the win more than TG2. Legs should be good until it hits HBO MAX. 100M+ needs to happen.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

Happy for Elvis. It needs the win more than TG2. Legs should be good until it hits HBO MAX. 100M+ need to happen.

Gatsby's legs bring it to about 90m and it's extremely unlikely this would have a 2.89x since reviews, audience reception is better + opening wasn't as large. So it's making 90 at minimum. What other recent adult summer release with a 30m OW had legs this weak?

Rocketman had an absurdly high multiplier (3.75) which following would take it to like 117m. Most likely at least a 3.3 multiplier which should take it to about 103m. I'd say this finishes at about 105, hoping it could eek it to 110 or more but I'll take it

• Like 1