Eric is Quiet

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

2 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Yeah I mean I'm even a part of this generation but I'm baffled that this seems to be an actual thing. Then again I don't have a TikTok so I often am just completely OOTL on memes that start there. 

yeah I’m gonna go to bed and sleep on this. 

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I thought people were joking but there are legit people going to see Minions in suits?

It's TikTok so how "real life" it is, is up for debate, but...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

This is also the perfect response by Universal (so far).  Acknowledge it, but don't get in the way.  

I bet it brings them millions more in box office this weekend.  

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

As someone who educates the youths for a living, I usually at least kinda-sorta understand most of the weird trends on some level.

But as for this wearing a suit to Minions: The Rise of Gru thing? I got nothing.

not that complicated

its based on this "meme" about how much you care about a seemingly unimportant thing, which is depicted by contrasting a guy with a suit vs a guy with casual clothes, for example for the endgame premier the guy shows up with a suit and for his marriage he shows up with shorts, thats suppossed to be funny 

Then someone thought it would be even funnier to apply that logic to things no one really cares about, for example Morbius, the problem was that most people dont know what a "morbius" is, so they couldnt join in on the fun.

The first joke was about showing how much you cared about something and ironically saying it was more important than for example your marriage, now the joke has changed to be even more ironic and its about saying look at me saying how much I care about this thing I clearly dont care about

This has also mixed with a recent joke of though looking guys with suits being excited for something that is either seen as childish or girly, this happens because the contrast is really funny and/or also because there might be things in that childish/girly "thing" that really does excite people who are outside of the usual target audience  

Someone applied the same logic minions 2, but because everyone knows the minions, because theyre seen as uncool (and thus ripe for ironic jokes)  and because theres some nostalgia there, the meme spread and it became a tiktok trend (I think), however most of the people doing it are tik-tok teens who havent thought much about it and are only copying it because its now a trend (and therefore cool), while also being a pretty harmless way to have some fun. 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's supposed to be ironic because Minions is low-brow but you're wearing a suit, you see?

Like how people said Morbius made a Morbillion dollars. Except people actually want to see Minions lmao.

"It's Morbin' Time" walked so "See Minions in Suits" could run. 👍

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's TikTok so how "real life" it is, is up for debate, but...

This feels just completely surreal wtf 😲
I am starting to think Minions 2 is going to get in the "zeitgeist" level, not even kidding I can see this exploding...

I just remembered that Michelle Yeoh is voicing a character in Minions. The Everything Everywhere afterglow is real, everyone! Thank her in addition to this bizarre "seeing Minions in suits" phenomenon for this breakout.

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I mean they are going yo

this film because they are actually interested in it right?? 

For sure.  These are middle school to college aged kids.  They grew up on Dispicable Me and Minions.  

5 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

This feels just completely surreal wtf 😲
I am starting to think Minions 2 is going to get in the "zeitgeist" level, not even kidding I can see this exploding...

Wellll, let's see how it goes in a couple of weekends or three.  One thing about flash memes is that they can have the lifespan of a mayfly (It's Morbin' time probably caught the wave far too late, for instance [not that it was all that big in the first place]).  But Universal is more than happy to rake in the meme bucks while they can.

Mind, some flash memes do have staying power, as AMC comes to mind — but, well, we'll see just how much staying power this has before the next trend hits TikTok.

Of course, if it gets good WOM, then it becomes somewhat self-sustaining even when the meme factor lessens.