Eric the Minion

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

Although to fully get a feel for legs (like I did with TGM and Lightyear), I'll be doing my own research Tuesday night at Minions with the whole family.

Yeah, 2nd cheap Tuesday movie, but then the oldest starts her FT summer job, so we'll be back to weekends.  And I wasn't gonna miss 2 fireworks nights (when they only come one time a year:)...

Of course, this means Thor (and Paws of Fury) are not out for my viewing unless some company wants to send me cheap tickets.  I think we may end up at DC Superpets as the "August movie"...

4 hours ago, Sebastian said:

Pixar went woke and went broke. Illumination didn't. Putting a gay kiss in a kids movie is one thing but putting it in then telling everyone about it shows a complete lack understanding when it comes to knowing ones audience. After 2 years of lockdowns, people wanted to pay for escapism, they didn't want preaching to. The past year has seen movies that call themselves woke massively under-performing. Eternals was MCU's biggest flop, MOM bait and switch with its main character gave MCU their worst performance based on legs even though most bookies had it winning the year, now it cant even reach 1b.

Meanwhile movies that set out to entertain without trying to 'educate' their audience on social issues have blown away the competition. What a glorious and satisfying year this has been for the box office. Ill take minions over the past 5 pixar movies any day, and so will the rest of the world it seems. 

Are you really saying people don't watch gay movies in the year Top Gun will make 700M domestic?

Edited by vale9001
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Oh boy another clown with no posts

Hey man, clowns are supposed be funny, not sad and desperate. It’s an insult to clown to call that dude a clown lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Friday was holiday inflated, and 10x was within the range many had before the weekend, though the daily path it took to get there was more TikTok teen/less family than I think anyone anticipated 

But also Thursday was probably teen juiced as well

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I just want to say something more about this...

These numbers show the movie wasn't watched by "families" at least in the traditional sense.  I mean, an 11% turnout for 25+ includes all the possible parents and the non-parental adults.  So, even if ALL those adults brought 2 kids, you're talking a 33% family turnout and a 67% teen/young adult one (13-25)...and it's unlikely every 25+ was a parent, so this movie doesn't prove families are back, b/c they are still not in their 2019 way, at least for OW, but it does prove that you don't need them if you can drive an overwhelming response from the 13-25s.

Sunday estimate show most movies have >10% drop or even close to 20%. Again, this is a weaker hold compared to 2016 with the same calendar configuration. We know families are the key to holiday bump in the past. So your deduction, evidenced by Minion 2' Sunday, it is quite true that families isn't back as pre-pandemic level. They could be horrified by the gas price or non-stop gun violence or lured away by streaming but one thing here, they may never return.   

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

Those who created mess/ruckus in theatres needs a proper kick in their ass. Such idiots even spoil experience of others. I have experienced it once, not similar to one above but drunk and talking shit during movie!

ruckus i'll agree on, but kids movies are always a huge mess because parents just give their child a kiddee combo and call it a day, which means a huge mess

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Theaters could jump on this and organise ‘GentleMinions Only’ showings. 

I wouldn’t imagine the majority would have enjoyed spoiling the experience for others, so a specific show just for those crowds would fit the bill. They could probably charge more too. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

ruckus i'll agree on, but kids movies are always a huge mess because parents just give their child a kiddee combo and call it a day, which means a huge mess

Haha true.... if they have the patience/interest to watch the movie...it pretty much makes our viewing better...if it doesnt we are in for a distractive ride for sure!

18 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

Everyone had one to two years of their lives "stolen" to some degree or another, they still shouldn't disrupt the movie for everyone else.  

Don’t cheer at Spider-Man no way home it’s disrupting the movie

• Like 2

I will say: I saw an 11pm Minions the other night. It nearly filled a 500 seat theater with a bunch of older couples and a loooot of the GentleMinion crew. They were VERY VOCAL at the opening studio logos, in a fun Marvel Studios-y way, and just shut up and laughed through the movie after that. Politeness is possible! It can happen!

These movies aren't nearly on the same level as Disney and Pixar as far as story construction-- and I believe the lower budgets these things have are attributed to a much smaller amount of time for visual and story development-- but I'll go to bat for the minion setpieces in these things. They're fun Looney Tunes comedies. Not a mystery why they've continued to work for so long.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 8

36 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Theaters could jump on this and organise ‘GentleMinions Only’ showings. 

I wouldn’t imagine the majority would have enjoyed spoiling the experience for others, so a specific show just for those crowds would fit the bill. They could probably charge more too. 

By the time they set things up, that crowd probably will have moved onto other TikTok trend. 

I suspect since the 'GentleMinions' have been causing trouble, they likely don't want to encourage bad behaviour. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

It's a fucking Minions film, middle aged people can STFU about 'rowdy kids'.

Also, 2 years of youth going away is a much bigger loss than going into the pandemic at 52 and coming out at 54.

Thank you lol the lack of regard anyone has towards children and young people during this pandemic has frequently been one of the most depressing aspects of it. Let the kids have fun and cheer the illumination logo

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

Don’t cheer at Spider-Man no way home it’s disrupting the movie

Look guys if you were hooting and hollering during Avengers Endgame that was super disrputive for the rest of the audience, many people have been waiting 11 years for the conclusion of the Infinity Saga and they're missing out on crucial information because of the loud noise

• Thanks 1

There’s a difference between cheering and getting excited over certain moments at a movie and making mosh pits, flashing your phones, and making a catastrophic mess with popcorn and soda on the ground, all the while watching a movie ironically. Nobody has a problem with the respectful people doing the trend, and you lot know that’s not what people are upset over

• Like 12
  • Disbelief 1