Eric the Minion

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

41 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not always. Sometimes a franchise maxes out and doesn't grow so no matter the quality it won't ourgross previous istallment by much. LOTR was that kind. Each movie was top quality and made more but not by leaps and bounds domestically (316M, 342M, 378M). For all w eknow, L&T can get A (indicating disparity between critics and audience) and still improve on Ragnarok by about 40-50M instead of 200M. 

Too early to tell. I think it'll challenge 400M cause Marvel movies stabilize in later run and field is pretty barren. 

Rings’s $320-380 million range across the trilogy was the current $500-600 million. All of those movies were gigantic. 

7 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

Are people of the belief that the pandemic has changed how audiences view TV/Streaming/Movies now? I think it has, because it's taught people to be patient and wait a time they normally wouldn't wait. 45 days is not a lot to wait for a movie to hit a streaming service.

I will be honest and say that a lot of times now I will just wait until a season finishes airing before bingewatching all of it. The only ones I didn't do this for are Obi Wan and Stranger Things.

The Marvel shows honestly need to stop the 6 episode model, it really ruins the pace of the show. I don't know why they stopped the 8/9 episode which to me was the perfect amount. 

Each Marvel show has followed the same formula. Solid for the first 2-3 episode takes a massive nosedive the following 2 episodes then recovers for a very well done finale.

Then you got excellent shows like The Boys that give you a quality 8 episodes and TBH the Boys and Invisible crap all over the other MCU shows.

Damn, I just wrote this about the Boys and pacing - proves I should finish reading all of my missed posts before posting:)!  I owe you a like b/c I'm out!

I think people are missing the point here when discussing Thor.

Minus a few individuals who always freak out, the vast majority of people aren’t saying “marvel is doomed” etc, it’s just that MOM and now Thor both should of been easy home runs, but reception wasn’t what we’re used to with Marvel so it’s a bit disappointing for certain people. It’s not that the totals for the movies aren’t more then adequate, it’s just more of a “what it could of been with better reception” scenario. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

As I mentioned yesterday, Rogers communications had a complete shutdown yesterday in canada. Most of the debits and credit machines in the country are run by the Rogers network. I'm not saying there's going to be a massive uptick in movies today, but it wouldn't surprise me if yesterday's outage here in Canada did affect the box office. People did not have access to their debit or credit cards and in a lot of cases the ATMs were also down. So it's possible maybe films see a slightly higher  increase today. So instead of Minions going up something like 38% maybe it goes up 40%. Just something to be aware of if the numbers look like they have a little bit more of an increase today than what we are expecting.

Fuck Rogers tour got postponed 

43 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not always. Sometimes a franchise maxes out and doesn't grow so no matter the quality it won't ourgross previous istallment by much. LOTR was that kind. Each movie was top quality and made more but not by leaps and bounds domestically (316M, 342M, 378M). For all w eknow, L&T can get A (indicating disparity between critics and audience) and still improve on Ragnarok by about 40-50M instead of 200M. 

Too early to tell. I think it'll challenge 400M cause Marvel movies stabilize in later run and field is pretty barren. 

There is a very famous verse in an italian poetry "L'ottimismo è il profumo della vita"/ Optimism is the scent of life. 

Just now, cax16 said:

I think people are missing the point here when discussing Thor.

Minus a few individuals who always freak out, the vast majority of people aren’t saying “marvel is doomed” etc, it’s just that MOM and now Thor both should of been easy home runs, but reception wasn’t what we’re used to with Marvel so it’s a bit disappointing for certain people. It’s not that the totals for the movies aren’t more then adequate, it’s just more of a “what it could of been with better reception” scenario. 

sure. But another couple of this standard in a row and they really do have a problem. 

There’s no way to sugar coat fans bitching about the movie coming out of an opening day showing. That sentiment was palpable as I left my screening. One of big disappointment. 

• Like 2

Quantumania I’m very confident over. For me the Ant Man films have had as good a mix of comedy and genuine excitement as the Spidey MCU trilogy, so I think that film will deliver. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

Just now, wildphantom said:

sure. But another couple of this standard in a row and they really do have a problem. 

There’s no way to sugar coat fans bitching about the movie coming out of an opening day showing. That sentiment was palpable as I left my screening. One of big disappointment. 

I agree that this movie more then any other is an issue, But my point is that most people aren’t screaming marvel is doomed right now. Of course if they keep putting out movies like this that happens but let’s remember we had NWH and SC before and to some extent even BW was fine. And even though I don’t really love the shows the vast majority of people do enjoy them. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Your analysis is certianly better than mine. It's just that I've seen very well argumented predictions for DS2 under 400M but stabilization did its part so here we are. That's something I never underestimate. But fair enough. I thought that weekend was going to be closer to DS2 which isn't the case if 150M is what we are looking at. 

Once again DS2 opened to 187.4m .  It This is opening will be around 37- 40m  lower than that .

DS2 just required 2.1* legs. This will require 2.68* legs to get to 400m.

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

that’s fair. Although Ragnarok changing up his depiction on screen to huge acclaim, plus his star turns in the avengers infinity/endgame colossus turned L&T into a $500 million potential, especially in summer. It’s falling under that potential because the film isn’t as good as it should have been.  They’ve kind of blown that step up they’d made in the character’s popularity on screen, but $350 million will still be very good of course. 

Dominion and L&T should have been near half a billion grossers each, but ultimately the films couldn’t live up to the set up they were both afforded. 

According to whom? Just because we here like to speculate and over-predict our favorites it doesn't mean there was ever real potential for that kind of boxoffice. Which is the main reason for all this Phase 4 fatigue talk. Lets be real, it really starts with overestimation. None of us polled the whole population to see whether a movie really has potential for such numbers. 

TGM didn't have Endgame to push it yet it's gonna make 1.3B or so (without China and Russia). Which likely means that movie released in 2019 doesn't have an impact anymore. NWH didn't get Endgame boost. It goes Crossvoer With Old Spidermen Movies boost. 

The problem is in "if X happened than Y must make _______" thinking. No Y doesn't even with 100% RT and A+++++++++ score. Look at Ms Marvel. If interest is not there, if large segment of fandom doesn't find the IP to be for them, all the praise in the world won't put butts in seats. Thor is not going to grow way beyond its fandom in its 4th installement without 3 Spideys kind of once-in-a-lifetime event. By now, it's either for you or it isn't. 

• Knock It Off 1

19 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Noctis you have 25k posts on a Box Office forum surely you know by now that you can't compare OW legs between summer releases and november releases...

Obviously, but my point was moreso that even with great WOM, Ragnarok still had a 2.58 multiplier which shows that it's a really frontloaded series and my comparison to the multiplier was MoM. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Rings’s $320-380 million range across the trilogy was the current $500-600 million. All of those movies were gigantic. 

Ranks:

LOTR 8th (JW 653M)

TTT 7th (Titanic 659M)

ROTK 6th (IW 679M)  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I do know that tickets at my go-to theater got like 30% more expensive in the past few years, at least.

I know my theater the tickets for a blockbuster have gone up at least £4 just since the start of covid, let alone in a 5 years span. And that's not even including the cost of IMAX, 4DX or ScreenX 

Assuming that number for Friday holds for minions, it looks like it'll do probably 45-46 mil for the weekend which would be about a 57 or 58% drop coming off the holiday opening weekend.

• Like 1

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

I know my theater the tickets for a blockbuster have gone up at least £4 just since the start of covid, let alone in a 5 years span. And that's not even including the cost of IMAX, 4DX or ScreenX 

Regular plain-Jane tickets are $18. I could swear they used to be less than $13 5 years ago. This is an expensive urban theater, though.

Also...since we're discussing TV shows...Arcane was one of the best shows ever and I was floored by how utterly astonishing it was. Pitch-perfect characterization, story, and dialogue with stunning world building. 

And Stranger Things Season 4 was great...as good as the first season.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Once again DS2 opened to 187.4m .  It This is opening will be around 37- 40m  lower than that .

DS2 just required 2.1* legs. This will require 2.68* legs to get to 400m.

True but it also won't have TGM and JW3 on its path either. 

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Quantumania I’m very confident over. For me the Ant Man films have had as good a mix of comedy and genuine excitement as the Spidey MCU trilogy, so I think that film will deliver. 

I like the first Ant Man but that second one, one of the worst MCU films imo