grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It also happens to be that I don't really like early Spielberg movies barring E.T.

Love his later films like Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me if you Can, Bridge of Spies, Terminal, etc.

RAIDERS??

6 hours ago, baumer said:

So Black Phone is already available on Apple TV. That's too bad. Would have been interesting to see how high it would go with a full run. 

Entered Friday or today? 

If it was on Friday then the impact is probably 0, it just had another excellent drop.

2 minutes ago, Dingdong said:

So Thor 4 and Thor 3’s difference is down to less than 5 million at their respective BO days. Is Thor 4 looking to go under Thor 3’s domestic total or will it prevail?

Nope, I had it wrong lol. Still about 20 million difference

1 minute ago, Dingdong said:

Nope, I had it wrong lol. Still about 20 million difference

Not to mention Ragnarok runs into Justice League on its 3rd weekend. Thanksgiving will make up some of it but I assume Love and Thunder is set for 330-340m.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

The Gray Man is such a basic shitshow. Like, you have seen it all and way better in many other movies. Evans, Gosling and Armas carry it with their charisma. Whatshisname from Bridgerton is godawful.

It's not Pure Cinema. It's Netflix.

55 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

My dream scenario is a twitter war between Martin Scorsese and Spielberg with Spielberg defending MCU and blockbusters.

That would be the biggest benefit of Spielberg directing FF. Since he'll probably be in autopilot again. 

I wouldn't call it a war, exactly. That suggests both sides stand an equal chance of winning.

Elvis is looking at a 140-150M finish as long as it has another sub-35% drop next weekend. It'll more than likely get doubles with Super Pets in two weeks, and there isn't much coming out to have its theater count drop below 2k anytime soon. Gimme that 5x :Venom: 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the shark model yes but besides that is there anything else really wrong?

I watched it again a few years ago so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but I think it just feels like its a product of its time, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in of itself.   But if you compare it to ALIEN, which was made only 4 years later, literally nothing about that movie feels dated other than the VFX of the Nostromo blowing up.  Even its sequel ALIENS feels like an 80s movie.

Edited by Ozymandias

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

The Gray Man is such a basic shitshow. Like, you have seen it all and way better in many other movies. Evans, Gosling and Armas carry it with their charisma. Whatshisname from Bridgerton is godawful.

How about our Indian actor Dhanush? How did he perform? 😃 Avik san?

52 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

You really need to let go of this use of Minions as a comparison, as it makes no sense. Family flicks, but especially ones that skew young and animations have been doing terribly. Minions 2 is the sole bright spot in the last two years, and that coming after a poorly-received first film.

T4or had everything going for it - a beloved third film preceding this and a fan-favourite portrayal in the IW/EG movies. Everything was there for it to succeed. At the very least, a GOTG2 run was an expected bar for it to clear (I think that's an apt comparison, GOTG 1 to 2 and then Ragnarok to this). It's not insane 500-600 million DOM, 1.2 billion WW numbers. We're talking just under 400 DOM, close to 900 WW. It will miss that by miles. This is not good, no matter how you try to spin it (and that includes throwing in a bizarre Minions comparison?!) - it's not necessarily a warning sign for the MCU brand, but it's definitely an alarm being sounded that their quality control is off the rails when their biggest selling point has been consistency.

What you just wrote there is absolutely delusional. It's just awful box office prediction that makes zero sense. Fact: Minions franchise is much bigger than Thor globally.

To expect 500-600m domestic is just sheer lunacy. It's laughable. It's a weak franchise in terms of quality with 1 good entry out of 4. That's 25% success rate. Bad. We established that most people here had bad predictions expecting this to fly past 400m. Thor is not a Spidey, IM tier SH. Its highest grosser is 315m domestically. 400-415m was the absolute ceiling for it. It maybe could have got there had the film not being average as best. It could have done GotG 2 numbers had the fans not been cheated and baited with the GotG presence in the movie.

You either can't read or simply just ignorant as I stated that Thor's WW tally is disappointing. No two ways about that. However, its domestic tally is a mild success if it beats its predecessor. The actual bizarre thing is to have two films that had a roughly similar tally with the previous entries, both films finishing in the same range again and one film is considered a huge success and one is a disaster. Tell me how that makes any sense?

Just because a film falls short of your crazy prediction doesn't make is a disaster.

Edited by The Dark Alfred