The Panda

BOT in the Multi-Verse of Madness: Countdown of the DEFINITIVE Top 250 Movies of All-Time (2022 Edition)

3 hours ago, The Panda said:

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

( @Plain Old Tele seeing every entry on this list that isn't Black Stallion, Lawrence of Arabia, or a black and white silent french commentary on the Communist state told through the perspective of the children in Disney's Lab Rats)

No lies detected. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I recently finished the 4k extended editions of LOTR on HBOMax in preparation for the show thats probably gonna suck.  I actually think I prefer the theatrical version of ROTK to the extended edition, though my ideal cut would've included all the added stuff with Frodo/Sam between Cirith Ungol and Mount Doom.  Plus, I just fucking love the orcs in those movies.  PJ's horror roots really shine through with pretty much anything to do with the orcs.

I think the definitive way to watch the trilogy is: FOTR: Extended --> TTT: Extended --> ROTK: Theatrical.

The EE of ROTK has way too much undignified Peter Jackson "humour" and the Saruman scene kills the pace at the beginning.

On 8/7/2022 at 7:31 PM, Blankments said:

My predict for 101 is toy story 2 lol

29 minutes ago, The Panda said:

And here are the final movies that just missed the list!

Number 101

Toy Story 2 (1999, John Lasseter)

giphy.gif

yo

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

4 hours ago, The Panda said:

alright. let's go rapid fire!

Number 125

Blazing Saddles (1974, Mel Brooks)

blazing-saddles-working.gif

Number 124

The Dark Knight Rises (2012, Christopher Nolan)

LongWatchfulDromaeosaur-size_restricted.

Number 123

Toy Story 3 (2010, Lee Unkrich)

Y1TD.gif

Number 122

Arrival (2016, Denis Villeneuve)

original.gif

Number 121

North by Northwest (1959, Alfred Hitchcock)

north-by-northwest-cary-grant.gif

Number 120

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013, Martin Scorsese)

thirsty-oh-my-god.gif

Number 119

The Terminator (1984, James Cameron)

giphy.gif

Number 118

All About Eve (1950, Joseph K. Mankiewicz)

giphy.gif

Number 117

Dunkirk (2017, Christopher Nolan)

dunkirk-fire.gif

Number 116

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004, Alfonso Cuaron)

GreenGreedyFlickertailsquirrel-size_rest

The best movie made about show business AND the best script of the first half of the 20th Century AND the best performance by Bette Davis couldn’t get higher than this? 

You’re all going to Hell. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

The EE of ROTK has way too much undignified Peter Jackson "humour" and the Saruman scene kills the pace at the beginning.

I really like most of the individual scenes by themselves, but in the movie many just feel like fat with some of it disrupting the pacing whereas pretty much all of the extended scenes in FOTR and TTT flow smoothly and really enrich those films.  Plus, ROTK:EE is over 4 hours(not including the credits) and thats kinda pushing it even when you're as good as the LOTR films(bravo to those who made it through ZSJL, I gave up after 40 minutes).  FOTR:EE, TTT:EE, and ROTK:Theatrical = pretty much a perfect trilogy.

Edited by Ozymandias

Damn, these last few films have gone super fast, that I can barely hold my breath, but I guess that's what happens when you're trying to keep up with two little girls (my nieces), on the side. 

Also Blazing Saddles missing the top 100 is unacceptable. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I honestly have never understood the crazy love for star wars. They're not bad movies, but I can't really say I love them either.

you don't have to enjoy it yourself to understand!

24 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I honestly have never understood the crazy love for star wars. They're not bad movies, but I can't really say I love them either.

Franchise power. And along with Star Trek it was the first.

Can construct identities (both in a limited, casual healthy way and in an obsessive, unhealthy way) around it.  I think we're seeing the end of those days (as the miiiiiild drops in franchise films and miiiiiiild increase over time in unique films on lists like this kind of indicate) as people realise the fandom wars are neither important nor interesting and give an inflated sense of where the films involved stand in the grand scheme of things but it will be a slow death. Star Wars' first trilogy was for many their first exposure to epic storytelling on a grand scale and that's extremely powerful.

I didn't have any franchise movies (in terms of being *Intended* to be franchise, sure there were movies that subsequently had sequels) in my entire list until Fellowship at 73 and then Raiders at 100. Until the last 5 years I tended to squirm at lists like this generated by broad fandom. This list hasn't made me squirm much. Indeed there have been some really nice surprises.

Heck, even TDK of all films finally fell out of the top 10. They'll be crying into their skateboards and Hot Topic Tees.

hold-my-nuts-hold-this.gif

Number 10

M07PWby.jpg

"Hold my nuts"

About the Film

Synopsis

A man gets his nuts held

Its Legacy

From the Filmmaker

Why It's Great

Critic Opinion

"It’s not every day that you can say, “Shaquille O’Neal was the best actor in that movie.” And yet that may well be true in the case of “Uncle Drew,” a genuinely unusual exercise in screen comedy directed by Charles Stone III that features Mr. O’Neal and several other N.B.A. superstars, both retired and active.

The movie is a spinoff of a series of viral Pepsi ads in which the Boston Celtics point guard Kyrie Irving, made up to look older, took much younger street basketball players to school. Pepsi is also a producer of this feature, which helps account for its character.

ClosedShadyJackal-size_restricted.gif

The story line involves the hapless amateur coach Dax (Lil Rel Howery), who has his team usurped by a childhood rival (Nick Kroll, laying on a lot of “in your face” schtick that’s more annoying than he might have intended). He’s told to find the aged court legend “Uncle Drew,” here fleshed out to feel like a homage to the real-life street-ball legend Earl Manigault. Mr. Irving’s crusty codger insists on filling the roster with back-in-the-day teammates played by Mr. O’Neal, Reggie Miller, Chris Webber and Nate Robinson.

ScratchySmoothDotterel-max-1mb.gif

The old-age makeup applied to these performers is — and I suppose this was entirely deliberate — unrealistic. The outlandish hairpieces and facial prosthetics produce an effect somewhere between TV sketch comedy and Kabuki theater. As conventionally unconvincing as the enterprise has to be, the movie tries to tug at the heartstrings with its suggestion that in these old men Dax has found a new family.

At the same time, possibly because of the soft-drink-company sponsorship, “Uncle Drew” has a bland undertaste. The comic dynamo Tiffany Haddish, as Dax’s mercenary ex-girlfriend, seems tame here. Through it all, though, Mr. O’Neal, playing a martial-arts instructor harboring an old grudge against the title character, quietly but steadily builds the most complete characterization in the movie. It turns out, he’s learned an acting trick or two since the ghastly “Kazaam.”

- Glen Kenny, New York Times

Public Opinion

"There's nothing redeeming about this movie.  It's rarely funny, horribly scripted and if what you came to see is some awesome basketball being played, even that is directed with such pedestrian flair, that it took me out of the movie.

I liked nothing about this.

3/10"

- @baumer

basketball-shoot.gif

The Poetic Opinion

Factoids

Previous Rankings

#11 (2021)

Director Count

Steven Spielberg (5), James Cameron (3), Alfred Hitchcock (3), Stanley Kubrick (3), Christopher Nolan (4),  Martin Scorsese (3),  Ridley Scott (3), Brad Bird (2), John Carpenter (2), Francis Ford Coppola (2), David Fincher (2), Spike Lee (2), Sergio Leone (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), The Russos (2), Robert Zemeckis (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Peter Weir (2), Billy Wilder (2), Roger Allers (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John G. Avildsen (1), Frank Capra (1), Charlie Chaplin (1), Brenda Chapman (1), Joel Coen (1), Wes Craven (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Frank Darabont (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Pete Doctor (1), Stanley Donan (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), William Friedkin (1), Terry Gillam (1), Michel Gondry (1), Steve Hickner (1), Peter Jackson (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Bong Joon Ho (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), John Lasseter (1), David Lean (1), Richard Linklater (1), George Lucas (1) Sydney Lumet (1), Katia Lund (1), David Lynch (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), George Miller (1), Rob Minkoff (1), Katsuhiro Otomo (1), Jan Pinkava (1), Makoto Shinkai (1), Vittorio de Sica (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), Lee Unkrich (1), Gore Verbinski (1), Orson Welles (1), Simon Wells (1), Kirk Wise (1), Kar-Wai Wong (1) Charles Stone III (1)

uncle-drew-is-back.gif

Decade Count

1930s (2), 1940s (4), 1950s (6), 1960s (7), 1970s (9), 1980s (11), 1990s (20), 2000s (19), 2010s (11)

Country Count

Japan (6), Italy (3), UK (2), Australia (1), Brazil (1), China (1), Mexico (1), Spain (1), South Korea (1)

Franchise Count

Pixar (6), Ghibli (4), Star Wars (3), Alien (2),  The MCU (2), WDAS (2), Avatar (1), Back to the Future (1), Before (1), Blade Runner (1), Dollars (1), E.T. (1), The Exorcist (1), Finding Nemo (1), The Godfather (1), Hannibal (1), Halloween (1), Incredibles (1), Jurassic Park (1), The Lion King (1), Mad Max (1), Middle Earth (1), Pirates of the Caribbean (1), Rocky (1), Scream (1), The Shining (1), Terminator (1), Thing (1), Toy Story (1), The Wizard of Oz (1) Uncle Drew (1)

Re-Weighted Placements

i don't know

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 7
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 4

6 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Number 10

M07PWby.jpg

"Hold my nuts"

About the Film

Synopsis

A man gets his nuts held

Its Legacy

From the Filmmaker

Why It's Great

Critic Opinion

"It’s not every day that you can say, “Shaquille O’Neal was the best actor in that movie.” And yet that may well be true in the case of “Uncle Drew,” a genuinely unusual exercise in screen comedy directed by Charles Stone III that features Mr. O’Neal and several other N.B.A. superstars, both retired and active.

The movie is a spinoff of a series of viral Pepsi ads in which the Boston Celtics point guard Kyrie Irving, made up to look older, took much younger street basketball players to school. Pepsi is also a producer of this feature, which helps account for its character.

The story line involves the hapless amateur coach Dax (Lil Rel Howery), who has his team usurped by a childhood rival (Nick Kroll, laying on a lot of “in your face” schtick that’s more annoying than he might have intended). He’s told to find the aged court legend “Uncle Drew,” here fleshed out to feel like a homage to the real-life street-ball legend Earl Manigault. Mr. Irving’s crusty codger insists on filling the roster with back-in-the-day teammates played by Mr. O’Neal, Reggie Miller, Chris Webber and Nate Robinson.

The old-age makeup applied to these performers is — and I suppose this was entirely deliberate — unrealistic. The outlandish hairpieces and facial prosthetics produce an effect somewhere between TV sketch comedy and Kabuki theater. As conventionally unconvincing as the enterprise has to be, the movie tries to tug at the heartstrings with its suggestion that in these old men Dax has found a new family.

At the same time, possibly because of the soft-drink-company sponsorship, “Uncle Drew” has a bland undertaste. The comic dynamo Tiffany Haddish, as Dax’s mercenary ex-girlfriend, seems tame here. Through it all, though, Mr. O’Neal, playing a martial-arts instructor harboring an old grudge against the title character, quietly but steadily builds the most complete characterization in the movie. It turns out, he’s learned an acting trick or two since the ghastly “Kazaam.”

Public Opinion

"There's nothing redeeming about this movie.  It's rarely funny, horribly scripted and if what you came to see is some awesome basketball being played, even that is directed with such pedestrian flair, that it took me out of the movie.

3/10"

- @baumer

basketball-shoot.gif

The Poetic Opinion

Factoids

Previous Rankings

#11 (2021)

Director Count

Steven Spielberg (5), James Cameron (3), Alfred Hitchcock (3), Stanley Kubrick (3), Christopher Nolan (4),  Martin Scorsese (3),  Ridley Scott (3), Brad Bird (2), John Carpenter (2), Francis Ford Coppola (2), David Fincher (2), Spike Lee (2), Sergio Leone (2), Hayao Miyazaki (2), The Russos (2), Robert Zemeckis (2), Andrew Stanton (2), Peter Weir (2), Billy Wilder (2), Roger Allers (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John G. Avildsen (1), Frank Capra (1), Charlie Chaplin (1), Brenda Chapman (1), Joel Coen (1), Wes Craven (1), Michael Curtiz (1), Frank Darabont (1), Jonathan Demme (1), Pete Doctor (1), Stanley Donan (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Victor Fleming (1), William Friedkin (1), Terry Gillam (1), Michel Gondry (1), Steve Hickner (1), Peter Jackson (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Bong Joon Ho (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), John Lasseter (1), David Lean (1), Richard Linklater (1), George Lucas (1) Sydney Lumet (1), Katia Lund (1), David Lynch (1), Michael Mann (1), Richard Marquand (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), George Miller (1), Rob Minkoff (1), Katsuhiro Otomo (1), Jan Pinkava (1), Makoto Shinkai (1), Vittorio de Sica (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Gary Trousdale (1), Lee Unkrich (1), Gore Verbinski (1), Orson Welles (1), Simon Wells (1), Kirk Wise (1), Kar-Wai Wong (1) Charles Stone III (1)

uncle-drew-is-back.gif

Decade Count

1930s (2), 1940s (4), 1950s (6), 1960s (7), 1970s (9), 1980s (11), 1990s (20), 2000s (19), 2010s (11)

Country Count

Japan (6), Italy (3), UK (2), Australia (1), Brazil (1), China (1), Mexico (1), Spain (1), South Korea (1)

Franchise Count

Pixar (6), Ghibli (4), Star Wars (3), Alien (2),  The MCU (2), WDAS (2), Avatar (1), Back to the Future (1), Before (1), Blade Runner (1), Dollars (1), E.T. (1), The Exorcist (1), Finding Nemo (1), The Godfather (1), Hannibal (1), Halloween (1), Incredibles (1), Jurassic Park (1), The Lion King (1), Mad Max (1), Middle Earth (1), Pirates of the Caribbean (1), Rocky (1), Scream (1), The Shining (1), Terminator (1), Thing (1), Toy Story (1), The Wizard of Oz (1) Uncle Drew (1)

Re-Weighted Placements

i don't know

Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

The first half of FELLOWSHIP is kinda janky in sections. 

You take that back before I wash your mouth out with a bar of soap. How dare you speak ill a fellowship of the Ring lol. I can't remember my exact placing but I'm pretty sure I had it at number 8.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Panda said:

Number 20

nSc7ImD.png

I saw this in a 20 inch tv so I dont think my opinion on it counts, but 2 was better

10 hours ago, The Panda said:

Number 19

xaF9EBQ.png

"They are nice because they're rich."

This movie is nothing more than ok

4 hours ago, aabattery said:

Number 10

M07PWby.jpg

is this a forum meme?

5 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Good to see TOY STORY 2 above 3 as it should be.

world wont heal until 2 is above 1

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aabattery said:

Number 10

M07PWby.jpg

"Hold my nuts"

About the Film

Synopsis

A man gets his nuts held

Its Legacy

From the Filmmaker

Why It's Great

Critic Opinion

Public Opinion

3/10"

- @baumer

basketball-shoot.gif

The Poetic Opinion

Factoids

Previous Rankings

#11 (2021)

Director Count

uncle-drew-is-back.gif

Decade Count

Country Count

Franchise Count

Re-Weighted Placements

i don't know

Is this a joke? Never heard of a this movie?