filmscholar

The End of Summer: Dragon Ball Super Super Hero/Beast Weekend Thread | DBS 20.1, Beast 11.6, BT 8, Pets 5.8 | TGM 5.85. Passes Infinity War to become sixth-biggest domestic earner

29 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Top Gun Maverick - $1.55M / $679.1M

Down 20% from two weeks ago. Simply incredible. Applying the same drops gives us about $5.6m and a cumulative $683.2m. Should be sitting right around $690m going into Labor Day weekend and I could see it hitting $700m by the end of the following weekend at this rate. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, M37 said:

JW2 is not “a perfect comp” primarily because it faced a murder’s row of competition in weeks 3-7: Get Out, Logan, Kong Skull Island, Beauty & Beast, Power Rangers (what a March!).

Meanwhile BT has a mostly empty calendar ahead of it, and will hold far better than JW2 by % for the rest of it run, but would still have an uphill (though plausible, see Lost City, which BT is ahead of after 2 full weeks) path to $100M 

People aren't magically going to see a movie they don't want to just because there's no competition.

JW2 didn't drop above 50% until its 6th weekend despite the competition, and JW2 will be so far ahead of BT by then it won't matter.

• Like 1

From @Nash

20220819-weekend-prediction.png

Dragon Ball’s final prediction is based on a fundamentals prediction of $22.8 million and a previews prediction of $24.4 million, which are in very close alignment. Anime films tend to be heavily front-loaded though, and this doesn’t look like a film that will have suffered from a lot of soldout shows on Thursday, given that it’s playing in somewhere between 3,000 and 3,950 theaters (reports vary). So my gut feeling is that it won’t make it quite to $20 million this weekend, however, the $22.8-million debut by Demon Slayer: Mugen Train could yet be beaten.

Beast’s prediction is based on a fundamentals analysis that pegged the film opening with $14 million and previews that point towards $12.2 million. That’s again in very close alignment, and I think the film should land somewhere close to the $12.7-million final prediction. That seems to me like a pretty good result for the film, given the timing of its release. It’s not a great result though, given the lack of competition.

Overall, the new releases should boost the total box office for the weekend, helped by all the remaining films in the top 10 hitting $2 million.

Prediction as of Friday Afternoon 

From Deadline Hollywood

Crunchyroll’s anime title Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero rallying to a $21M-$23M. Why the range? Because these Crunchyroll (ne Funimation) movies are frontloaded. Friday clocked $10.9M, including $4M in Thursday previews. The fans are enjoying it at 85% on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak and a great 75% recommend and critics aren’t ducking their heads with a 91% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Kids under 12 gave it 84% on PostTrak and a 65% recommend. Dads and boys in attendance here at 78% guys, 18% under 17 and 70% between 18-34. Huge turnout by Hispanic and Latino audiences at 37% followed by 26% Caucasian, 21% Black and 16% Asian/other.  IMAX and PLFs are driving close to 40% of business so far. Super Hero played best on the coasts and the Southwest.

There was some fear that Beast was so bad, it would sink below double digits. It’s staying above with $10.1M after a $4.27M Friday. Still, you’d think an Idris Elba movie would perform better and the genre schtick of lions hunting people seemed ripe for a mid-August audience. “‘Nobody likes to watch people getting eaten by lions'” exclaims one industry source quoting what they heard the late Sumner Redstone say during his exhibition days after he caught a screening of the 1981 Tom Skerritt lion movie, Savage Harvest. I heard at the time there were exhibitors that loved the movie — but it was a bloody massacre at the domestic box office. Nobody came. At this opening level, Beast is headed to PVOD in 17 days, and Peacock soon after. CinemaScore audiences were more forgiving with a B, while PostTrak was less at 65% positive, 46% recommend. Critics have soured to 68% on RT. Those brave enough not to cover their eyes at Beast included 56% guys, 51% between 18-34 and 44% over 35. Diversity demos showed 37% Black, 25% Caucasian, 22% Latino and Hispanic and 15% Asian/other. Beast played best in the Mid-West and South but half of its top ten runs were on the coasts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Felandria said:

Surprised at that E.T. PTA, it’s doing pretty well at Disney Springs, 55 seats sold already for the two shows today, that’s about $650+, must be some empty theaters.

It expanded to a bunch of theaters this weekend after its successful IMAX launch last weekend due to the lack of new product right now, but most (all?) theaters are only showing it once or twice a day.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

People aren't magically going to see a movie they don't want to just because there's no competition.

This is true on its face, but misses the point: it’s not about “seeing something they don’t want to”, but rather something that’s lower on the priority list and/or they’re on the fence about. Demand isn’t a yes/no question, but a sliding scale. The absence of high demand new releases opens the door for those titles still in the market to get another bite (or 2 or 3) at the apple

That competition - or the absence of it - affects how well films perform in later weeks is pretty basic box office principle 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Up 112% from yesterday, I wonder how much is from the Amandla Stenberg/New York Times critic drama, 2% maybe? I guess Everything Everywhere All At Once used up all of this year's box office luck for A24.

The Whale could be an interesting box office run to follow depending on reviews/awards prospects. We'll know in two weeks when it premieres at the Venice Film Festival.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Whale could be an interesting box office run to follow depending on reviews/awards prospects. We'll know in two weeks when it premieres at the Venice Film Festival.

Movies are all about execution, but the premise of The Whale is a bit yikes honestly, even if done well, it doesn't scream crossover potential.

1.) Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Cru) 3,007 theaters, Fri $10.74M, 3-day $21M-$23M/Wk 1

2.) Beast (Uni) 3,743 theaters, Fri $4.27M, 3-day $10.1M/Wk 1

3.) Bullet Train (Sony) 3,781 (-576) theaters, Fri $2.2M (-42%),   3-day $7.7M (-43%)/Total $68.6M/Wk 3

4.) Top Gun: Maverick (Par) 2,969  (-212) theaters, Fri $1.55M (-21%),  3-day $5.6M (-21%), Total $683.1M/Wk 13

5.) DC League of Super-Pets (WB) 3,537 (-266) theaters, Fri $1.4M (-29%), 3-day $4.8M (-31%)/Total $66.5M Wk 4

6.) Thor: Love and Thunder (Disney) 2,755 (-420) theaters, Fri. $1.07M (-24%), 3-day $3.8M (-29%)/Total $331.8M/Wk 7

7. ) Nope (Uni) 2,381 (-379) theaters, Fri $1.03M (-35%), 3-day $3.58M (-33%)/Total $113.7M/Wk 5

8.) Minions: Rise of Gru (Uni) 2,654 theaters (-414), Fri $920K (-35%) 3-day $3.26M (-35%), Total: $349.8M/Wk 8

9.) Where the Crawdads Sings (Sony) 2,608 theaters (-308), Fri $900K (-25%), 3-day $3M (-25%)/Total $77.5M/Wk 6

10.) Bodies Bodies Bodies (A24) 2,541 (+1,251) theaters, Fri $727K (-44%), 3-day $2.3M (-25%), Total $7.3M/Wk 3

35 minutes ago, Felandria said:

Surprised at that E.T. PTA, it’s doing pretty well at Disney Springs, 55 seats sold already for the two shows today, that’s about $650+, must be some empty theaters.

I'm not surprised. E.T. was only in IMAX last week, and is now playing in standard shows, so all the PLF boost it had was vanished. And honestly, I had no idea E.T. would still play this weekend and only found out about it...like last Wednesday. There was no advertising I could find saying it would last more than that one week. I'm glad I was able to catch it though this weekend and see the best Spielberg (yes it's the best, don't tell me otherwise) on the big screen. I was on vacation last week and was afraid I would miss it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

From Deadline Hollywood

Crunchyroll’s anime title Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero rallying to a $21M-$23M. Why the range? Because these Crunchyroll (ne Funimation) movies are frontloaded. Friday clocked $10.9M, including $4M in Thursday previews. The fans are enjoying it at 85% on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak and a great 75% recommend and critics aren’t ducking their heads with a 91% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Kids under 12 gave it 84% on PostTrak and a 65% recommend. Dads and boys in attendance here at 78% guys, 18% under 17 and 70% between 18-34. Huge turnout by Hispanic and Latino audiences at 37% followed by 26% Caucasian, 21% Black and 16% Asian/other.  IMAX and PLFs are driving close to 40% of business so far. Super Hero played best on the coasts and the Southwest.

There was some fear that Beast was so bad, it would sink below double digits. It’s staying above with $10.1M after a $4.27M Friday. Still, you’d think an Idris Elba movie would perform better and the genre schtick of lions hunting people seemed ripe for a mid-August audience. “‘Nobody likes to watch people getting eaten by lions'” exclaims one industry source quoting what they heard the late Sumner Redstone say during his exhibition days after he caught a screening of the 1981 Tom Skerritt lion movie, Savage Harvest. I heard at the time there were exhibitors that loved the movie — but it was a bloody massacre at the domestic box office. Nobody came. At this opening level, Beast is headed to PVOD in 17 days, and Peacock soon after. CinemaScore audiences were more forgiving with a B, while PostTrak was less at 65% positive, 46% recommend. Critics have soured to 68% on RT. Those brave enough not to cover their eyes at Beast included 56% guys, 51% between 18-34 and 44% over 35. Diversity demos showed 37% Black, 25% Caucasian, 22% Latino and Hispanic and 15% Asian/other. Beast played best in the Mid-West and South but half of its top ten runs were on the coasts.

Is this the 1st time we've ever had 2+ wide openers with Caucasians not in the #1 spot for any of the openers?  And it wasn't close?