filmscholar

The End of Summer: Dragon Ball Super Super Hero/Beast Weekend Thread | DBS 20.1, Beast 11.6, BT 8, Pets 5.8 | TGM 5.85. Passes Infinity War to become sixth-biggest domestic earner

2 hours ago, In XXR We Trust said:

$4M for DB is impressive. That’s about $500K higher than I expected. The true IM will be terrible but I can see it getting over $15.5M with that number.

GIF by Giphy QA

19 minutes ago, Shawn said:

The usual "super early Fri estimates from industry sources that are likely to evolve, but hey, they're numbers" numbers:

$10.0M DBZ

$4.1M Beast

$2.1M BT

$1.4M Pets

$1.4M TGM

Given how advance sales this time on Friday tend to be PLF heavy, expecting that DBS figure to wind up too high (good advance sales but weaker walkups) and TGM and maybe BT to be a smidge too low, as they lost those shows as compared to last Friday, so less urgency to prebook. Beast still tracking close to Don’t Breathe 2, and Pets looking like it might finally have a good holding week 

Edited by M37
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, M37 said:

Given how advance sales this time on Friday tend to be PLF heavy, expecting that DBS figure to wind up too high (good advance sales but weaker walkups) and TGM and maybe BT to be a smidge too low, as they lost those shows as compared to last Friday, so less urgency to prebook. Beast still tracking close to Don’t Breathe 2, and Pets looking like it might finally have a good holding week 

so maybe 5.5 for DBS leading to 16M weekend? Beast around 11M?

1 minute ago, Ronin46 said:

so maybe 5.5 for DBS leading to 16M weekend? Beast around 11M?

Yeah, something like that - maybe even as low as $5M (or below) for DBS true Fri. Yesterday, my local IMAX had over 60 tickets sold mid-day for 8PM show, wound up at only 95 by showtime (and this not a pre-sale heavy market - usually those numbers would double in that time frame, presuming capacity is available)

$11M probably a stretch for Beast unless Friday nudges up, but on good trajectory for ~$10M

https://deadline.com/2022/08/box-office-dragon-ball-super-super-hero-beast-idris-elba-1235096162/

Friday Midday: Crunchyroll is on a course to steal No. 1 at the box office with its anime sequel Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero which is looking at $8M-$10Mtoday (including those $4M previews) for a $17M-$20Mtake at 3,130 theaters. Uni’s Idris Elba movie, Beast, is currently clocking $4.1M today, and a $10M 3-day at 3,743 locations.

Sony’s Bullet Train at 3,781 is seeing $2M today, -47% from a week ago, and a $7M-$7.5M third weekend, -44% on the high end, for a $68.4M running total at the high end.

Warner Bros.’ DC League of Super-Pets is fourth at 3,537 sites, with an estimated $1.4M Friday, -29%, and $5.1M fourth weekend, -27%, with a $66.8M running total.

Paramount’s Top Gun: Maverick in weekend 13 at 2,969 locations, is eyeing $1.4M today, also -29%, and a $5M 3-day for a running total of $682.5M by Sunday.

FWIW (and I don’t exactly know why), here in Canada TGM is getting the IMAX screens back this weekend in most Cineplex theatres, which it did not have last weekend. Won’t make a huge difference, but just interesting to see. I wonder if they will roll it in and out of certain IMAX screens through the fall as there isn’t much out there. 

Wow @ 4 Million Previews for "DBS:SH".   Also 1 Million it's too bad for "Beast".  We are talking a R Rated Survival Thriller.   OK....I just saw the first estimates.  10 Million, OK that's a nice number........Dragon Ball Fans love this franchise.  We'll see how Saturday holds from this number.   They really screwed up the Live Action back in 09.  There needs to be a reboot that is more authentic to the Animation.    But they may have something with these Animated Films if they keep pumping these movies out every 2-3 years.   Each Dragon Ball Movie is doing better and better domestically.   I was hoping for 14-15 Million for "Beast" but I guess it's look more at 10-12.   

2 hours ago, In XXR We Trust said:

Much bigger drop for TGM that I expected. 

Sure it’s a decently large drop from the PLF-inflated last Fri, but it’s a also reasonable drop from the basically same value ($1.925) 2 weeks ago. $1.4-$1.5M would be a return to baseline, removing the bump from last week with an underlying 10-15% weekly rate of decline 

5 hours ago, Gokira2012 said:

I am wondering what did Dragonball do wrong and what did Demon Slayer do right, It had a $25 Million OW

I guess probably the release time had to do with it. Back when Demon Slayer released, there weren't many movies around. It probably got a lot of casual viewers.

Also Demon Slayer was a bit special, DBS:SH, seems like just another DBS movie.

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I guess probably the release time had to do with it. Back when Demon Slayer released, there weren't many movies around. It probably got a lot of casual viewers.

Also Demon Slayer was a bit special, DBS:SH, seems like just another DBS movie.

Japan has been trying so hard to move away from 2d animation and failing