YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

I’d say The Simpsons Movie in 2007 was the last “ugly” looking animated movie to find big DOM success. And it’s not a coincidence that’s based on a tv show for adults. Home and The Boss Baby 1 also did well for uglier animated films, but nothing spectacular in gross. Not that I’m saying this will look ugly as the finished product on the big screen mind you. It would be a first for WDAS since Bolt all the way back, so it does seem unlikely. 

25 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hey don’t take my word for it. Just look at animated movies with subpar or outdated visuals for their time and it’s hard to find big successes. 2D hand drawn stuff is the easiest example here, since there hasn’t been a huge one at the DOM box office since 2002. That’s not a coincidence . 

WDAS was the guiltiest of ugly animation in the 00s with garbage looking CG animation that did poorly like Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, and Bolt. DWA is the only major one that still consistently gives us subpar looking CG animation in modern times, and among their uglier looking recent films, none of them did well (Captain Underpants, Boss Baby 2, Spirit Untamed, Ruby Gilman, etc).

I would also insist that Illumination always delivering on the visuals has definitely played a part in their incredible success track record. 

Well you're probably not gonna call a movie's visuals outdated if it ends up a hit. One could have very easily laid the claim at Puss 2 or Bad Guys if they just watched the YouTube trailers and didn't know how much they made at the box office.

This whole visual angle is a red herring anyway. Putting aside that I'm confident it's going to look lovely in a theater and this whole discourse is pretty much just an online cynical adult thing, what's going to matter a lot more is if people embrace the songs and characters. I can say with certainty that Star at least seems destined to be a couch throw pillow merch mover. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

The battle between Trolls 3 and this will be interesting. 

Yeah, it’s going to be a case of is Wish a WOM hit with audiences or is it not? If not, most families will opt for Trolls Id say. It’s established and arguably has the broader kid appeal inherently. Trolls feels like a safer bet to hit 150+, though Wish has more actual breakout potential to do something big. 

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’d say The Simpsons Movie in 2007 was the last “ugly” looking animated movie to find big DOM success. And it’s not a coincidence that’s based on a tv show for adults. Home and The Boss Baby 1 also did well for uglier animated films, but nothing spectacular in gross. Not that I’m saying this will look ugly as the finished product on the big screen mind you. It would be a first for WDAS since Bolt all the way back, so it does seem unlikely. 

that's like, your opinion man

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well you're probably not gonna call a movie's visuals outdated if it ends up a hit. One could have very easily laid the claim at Puss 2 or Bad Guys if they just watched the YouTube trailers and didn't know how much they made at the box office.

This whole visual angle is a red herring anyway. Putting aside that I'm confident it's going to look lovely in a theater and this whole discourse is pretty much just an online cynical adult thing, what's going to matter a lot more is if people embrace the songs and characters. I can say with certainty that Star at least seems destined to be a couch throw pillow merch mover. 

Both of those looked good through. Not great, but modern at least. A red herring for what? I was the last person to ever think a WDAS film these days would look poor visually, so the trailers really caught me off guard. 

On the subject of Star as well… very surprising they OKd such a copycat of Luma’s design from the Mario games. Not that I think Nintendo would ever go to the efforts to actually sue Disney over that lol, but still surprising. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Puss 2,  TBG, and Spider-Verse 2 animation looked good in their trailers though. This...not so much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

On the subject of Star as well… very surprising they OKd such a copycat of Luma’s design from the Mario games. Not that I think Nintendo would ever go to the efforts to actually sue Disney over that lol, but still surprising. 

So THAT is where I know that star from!!! I knew it looked familiar but I couldn't quite remember why!

Ps: Animation looks good to me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Both of those looked good through. Not great, but modern at least. A red herring for what? I was the last person to ever think a WDAS film these days would look poor visually, so the trailers really caught me off guard. 

I said that exact thing when I saw the star.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Im sorry but "it doesn't look done" is literally what people said about Into the Spider-Verses art style, especially the framerate stuff.

I didn’t. It looks literally nothing like Spider-Verse. That was designed to look like comic art from the bottom up. What is Wish going for? 

The animation looks very good and interesting to me.

I have more doubts about the originality of the plot but these movies of course are made for children first, so probably they didn't watch all the old disney movies so they don't care about how much the plot is new or unpredictable. 

4 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I didn’t. It looks literally nothing like Spider-Verse. That was designed to look like comic art from the bottom up. What is Wish going for? 

A mix of modern and old-fashioned I suppose. It works for me anyway, but I get it if it doesn't for you

• Like 1