YM!

Ticket to Paradise Weekend Thread (and also Black Adam): Adam 67 (Rock's biggest leading debut), Paradise 16.3, Smile 8.3, Halloween 8 (80% drop!), Lyle 4.2 | Banshees 45K PTA, second-best of the year

25 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Multiplier through the weekend was good, but eyes are really on the hold. 
A film like this with no competition and The Rock at its centre should be doing $200 million plus. There’s no other way to spin it.

"should be doing" is still just based on hypothesis when it comes to The Rock because even Hobbs and Shaw couldn't crack 175M, let alone 200M, despite those characters already being pre-established onscreen unlike Black Adam and having a few summer days to boot.

Having said that, do I agree that BA could have opened even higher with good reviews? Yes absolutely. But highest opening for Johnson where he has the top most billing is still a solid win.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Ticket to Paradise's OW isn't too surprising as it would pretty solid numbers OS which has had it since September. 

The budget is $60m which seems very high for a romcom. 

I imagine on location shooting cost a pretty penny. With how old its audience is, good WOM, and how light the schedule is for the next month or so (November has only 7 major studio releases, with Black Panther almost certain to make more than the other six combined), I imagine it'll be around for a while.

Good expansion for TAR. Looking forward to seeing it next weekend.

Also a strong start for Banshees.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I imagine on location shooting cost a pretty penny. With how old its audience is, good WOM, and how light the schedule is for the next month or so (November has only 7 major studio releases, with Black Panther almost certain to make more than the other six combined), I imagine it'll be around for a while.

Good expansion for TAR. Looking forward to seeing it next weekend.

Also a strong start for Banshees.

It was filmed in Queensland which has generous tax credits although had they been able to go to actual Bali, they could saved more money. 

On 10/21/2022 at 11:31 PM, Eric Adam said:

I'm very excited for Banshees of Inisherin, but I get why things seem muted, because the whole thing feels pretty lowkey. Three Billboards had a big ensemble, with Rockwell and McDormand as frontrunners IIRC (been five years, don't yell at me if I got it wrong), a really strong hook (and meme potential) with its billboard premise that made it eye-catching and memorable, and brought up topical issues that mad

Banshees is a movie about an Irish guy wondering why he's no longer best friends with another Irish guy. Like I'm hoping to take my mom to this, but that's not as exciting of a hook for her compared to what Three Billboards offers and nothing about the movie has been pushed as "frontrunner". Like the main hype for Tar is Cate Blanchett being the big frontrunner and giving one of her, if not her best performance ever. Brendan Fraser has all the Best Actor hype at the moment, and a comeback narrative, so Colin Farrell's performance isn't getting the hype it usually would. So with little to hook non-film buffs in, I think 30K+ PTA would be very good for Banshees.

red-alphabet-letter-dancing-letter-l.gif

• Haha 1

Some of y’all have unrealistic expectations and/or purposely assert “[movie] should have made [X]” just to be able claim a “disappointment”

While Black Adam didn’t explode to Joker or Venom levels, it also wasn’t a subversive R-rated counter-culture flick, but a more generic PG13 action film for a lesser known character in an extended universe that has struggled with quality and expanding the fan base in more discerning post-pandemic market 

5th highest October OW ever and ~$160M DOM is a good result for what this movie was 

Edited by M37
typo
  • Like 10

On 10/21/2022 at 8:31 PM, Eric Adam said:

I'm very excited for Banshees of Inisherin, but I get why things seem muted, because the whole thing feels pretty lowkey. Three Billboards had a big ensemble, with Rockwell and McDormand as frontrunners IIRC (been five years, don't yell at me if I got it wrong), a really strong hook (and meme potential) with its billboard premise that made it eye-catching and memorable, and brought up topical issues that mad

Banshees is a movie about an Irish guy wondering why he's no longer best friends with another Irish guy. Like I'm hoping to take my mom to this, but that's not as exciting of a hook for her compared to what Three Billboards offers and nothing about the movie has been pushed as "frontrunner". Like the main hype for Tar is Cate Blanchett being the big frontrunner and giving one of her, if not her best performance ever. Brendan Fraser has all the Best Actor hype at the moment, and a comeback narrative, so Colin Farrell's performance isn't getting the hype it usually would. So with little to hook non-film buffs in, I think 30K+ PTA would be very good for Banshees.

Also, Collin Ferrell (an excellent actor) is box office poison. 

6 minutes ago, M37 said:

Some of y’all have unrealistic expectations and/or purposely assert “[movie] should have made [X]” just to be able claim a “disappointment”

While Black Adam didn’t explode to Joker or Venom levels, it also wasn’t an a subversive R-rated counter-culture flick, but a more generic PG13 action film for a lesser known character in an extended universe that has struggled with quality and expanding the fan base in more discerning post-pandemic market 

5th highest October OW ever and ~$160M DOM is a good result for what this movie was 

This is what I’ve been saying for a long time but I do get what people are saying in respects to the budget. Had the budget been like 150m this could be seen as a bigger win.

With that said, I think the most important thing for WB is they’re trying to build out the universe and so far audiences seem to be enjoying BA at least, just make a better movie next time and you can make a lot more imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Terrific said:

First 20-page weekend thread since?

It would be at 80-100 if peoples opinions weren’t deleted or they simply were aloud to have different ones. Dictatorships never end well. 

Edited by VENOM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Eric Adam said:

I always like weekends like these where everybody is a winner, with good holds and opens through the chart. Everybody's a winner! Well okay, outside of Amsterdam and Halloween, but who cares?

... and Woman King and Darling and Barbarian and Bros - everything but Smile & Lyle dropped >49% (yes, some of that was loss of screens & shows, but PTAs were also down despite shedding the lower grossing locations)

The winners were the new and expanding releases, while nearly everything else took a massive hit. To me, suggests that outside of Smile and its WOM, the market is/was coasting and being propped up by lack of competition/alternatives* ... until they arrived this weekend, and the other titles got mostly brushed aside

*Still true for Lyle, as the only family movie

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Multiplier through the weekend was good, but eyes are really on the hold. 
A film like this with no competition and The Rock at its centre should be doing $200 million plus. There’s no other way to spin it. Clearly it would have if the reception had been strong, but I can’t 100% call that out until we see the holds. I mean look at what happened with Venom. 

Some films definitely get the ‘it’s not that bad’ cred like that’s some sort of endorsement for people to go and enjoy it with lower expectations. Such a weird culture we live in now. Lol. 

The Rock hasn't really done alot of solo projects to cross 200m.

Only the Jumanji movies.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LVB said:

It’s not making any money back if OS is only 6 million above DOM. Maybe WB’s will finally start listening to what the fans want since the media isn’t on there side either with reviews and this 200m experiment hasn’t worked out.

Edited by VENOM
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

Great opening weekend for Black Adam. 

I thought it would be doing mid 50’s so this is a surprise. DC and WB needed this win on opening weekend. 

Just saw the film and it was entertaining, but a little too much non-stop action. I’m sure kids will love it for that reason. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cax16 said:

This is what I’ve been saying for a long time but I do get what people are saying in respects to the budget. Had the budget been like 150m this could be seen as a bigger win.

Yeah, the budget is a fair criticism, but with everything being released now, financials were mainly approved pre-COVID, so I do cut some slack on that

But also there is a reason WB is in major financial trouble ...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, M37 said:

While Black Adam didn’t explode to Joker or Venom levels, it also wasn’t an a subversive R-rated counter-culture flick, but a more generic PG13 action film for a lesser known character in an extended universe that has struggled with quality and expanding the fan base in more discerning post-pandemic market 

Think BA was one of my wildcards for 2022. But after the first trailer dropped my numbers down 150-180ish domestically.

With better reviews maybe touched 80m.

67m is a good opening based on presales and IM was pretty good and it's the rocks biggest solo opening.

Got to say it has one of the best demographic breakdowns I've seen. That's very good for a character you want to start a franchise with.

Audience reception looks solid .

Let's see how it holds against BPWF .

Sticking with 170ish Dom .

Black Adam would have smashed with an opening over $100m if there was an actual plan for the DCEU, if the movie had been teased in another previous big DCEU movie, and Black Adam was facing against already established heroes (or the Suicide Squad), instead of this Justice Society that audiences are unfamiliar with. Hopefully the new management of DC understands the potential this shared universe has wasted in the past 5 years or so by making standalone movies that lead no nowhere. Make a plan and stick with it no matter what. 

For what the movie is, a $67m opening is great 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 3