Flopped

Weekday (24 Oct - 27 Oct) Thread

4 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I downloaded tubi and the first terrifier movie is on there. Is it worth watching?

I love it.

The first movie has lots of great kills and the actors are good. It is a quick watch at under 90 minutes.

18 hours ago, Eric Adam said:

@M37 @Mojoguy Looking at 2016, the last time Halloween was on a Monday, holds didn't seem super bad that weekend? Only bad hold in the top 10 was Jack Reacher 2, which...yeah, probably will happen to Black Adam, so you got one there. Madea Halloween actually held up better than usual for Tyler Perry movies, albeit because of theming. These holds bode well for Paradise, Lyle, Smile, et al.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2016W44/?ref_=bo_wey_table_14

My claim was that the pre-Halloween weekend was softer than one might expect absent that effect. Not a major drop-off like say the Super Bowl, but shaving ~5-10% off holds, particularly for films that draw younger adults and/or parents & families, as those groups are more likely to engage in Halloween themed activities and skip the usual weekend movie outing (with scary/Halloween themed movies themselves being an exception, at varying degrees of results)

Those 2016 holds look fine for that weekend, but up against just $14M in from Inferno, where the absence of "new money" would usually facilitate stronger holds, as people circle back to what's already playing. The following weekend, with Strange/Trolls/Hacksaw opening to a combined nearly $150M, Accountant held at -31% vs -38% the weekend prior, and Girl on a Train had the same -39% despite losing about 40% of its theaters. In 2017, with a Tuesday Halloween, Happy Death Day, Blade Runner and Only the Brave each basically matched their holds the following weekend, despite Ragnarok opening and each shedding ~1/3 of locations. Last year Venom 2 was -36% for just Fri & Sat (excluding Halloween Sun), then -24% for those 2 days the following weekend, with Eternals entering the market

All of this is to say that if a normal/good week 2 result for Black Adam would be around say -55%, then seeing it depressed a bit to >60% this weekend to like $24-$26M, then bouncing back to sub-40% ($15-17M) the weekend after is a reasonable expectation

• Like 1

Eternals vs Black Adam is going to turn out to be the best boxoffice comparsion. It's crazy how similar their budgets and opening weekends are.

I do expect BA to pass by Eternals DOM though since WOM seems better. A big complaint about Enternals was not enough action which BA had a ton of.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

Can I talk about upcoming movie previews I got last night...I saw a pretty decent preview for a sorta throwback movie which then caused the audience to bust a gut when they saw the title...this was a very bad thing.

So, I'm gonna say it now.  Whoever decided to name the movie PLANE needs to never name a movie again.  That's just not a one word title you use, like Speed or Titanic.  Especially for the movie it's named for...

It's gonna cost that movie any box office that it might have gotten b/c of its complete and utter lameness...

25 minutes ago, Ericstein's Monster said:

Sounds legit. I saw this yesterday and the auditorium, while granted one of the smaller ones, was almost entirely packed to the brim with the oldies.

I watched it yesterday too. I’ve never seen a film where the outtakes in the end credits were funnier than the takes they used in the actual movie.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Can I talk about upcoming movie previews I got last night...I saw a pretty decent preview for a sorta throwback movie which then caused the audience to bust a gut when they saw the title...this was a very bad thing.

So, I'm gonna say it now.  Whoever decided to name the movie PLANE needs to never name a movie again.  That's just not a one word title you use, like Speed or Titanic.  Especially for the movie it's named for...

It's gonna cost that movie any box office that it might have gotten b/c of its complete and utter lameness...

It just needs an another adjective or something and they'd be good to go. Even knockoffs from The Asylum have better titles. I still wanna see it.

Incredible Tuesday bump for Ticket to Paradise!

• Like 1

I love that the original title for that movie was The Plane. When I first saw that title when it was announced as going into production, I was thinking "Oh man, what a terrible title. I sure hope they change it!" And oh wow did they! Just didn't think they'd find a way to make it worse! It's like the trend of adding "The" before a title to signify it's a new movie (The Predator, The Suicide Squad, The Batman), but in reverse!

The "Plane? More like Plain" review quotes write themselves.

Edited by datpepper
  • Like 1