Eric Prime

THE OFFICIAL BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER WEEKEND THREAD | 181M OW

7 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Yes, that's why I'm calling you out. Don't be a dick, especially with the movie you're excited for coming. 

BP2 was never a contender with S tier box office potential like Avatar 2, using worldwide helps get the point across.

I'm not trying to hit BP2 while it's down because it's not down, it's doing pretty good.

• Like 1

It seems like for Avatar, the only way to go is down. 

Avengers - Age of Ultron (down $164m)

Jurassic World - Fallen Kingdom (down $236m)

Black Panther - Wakanda Forever (down ~$230m)

Force Awakens - Last Jedi (down $316m)

First Avatar did $749.8m. I think Top Gun Maverick wins the year, comfortably. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

BP2 was never a contender with S tier box office potential like Avatar 2, using worldwide helps get the point across.

I'm not trying to hit BP2 while it's down because it's not down, it's doing pretty good.

I'm not highlighting box office, I'm highlighting your attitude. The slightest whiff of disappointment and you're going to get a mountain of shit sent your way by other members if you aren't careful. Please just be mindful of that, I don't want you to have a shitty time in December. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

The slightest whiff of disappointment and you're going to get a mountain of shit sent your way by other members if you aren't careful.

I mean you know it’s like a decade too late to prevent this, right?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'm not highlighting box office, I'm highlighting your attitude. The slightest whiff of disappointment and you're going to get a mountain of shit sent your way by other members if you aren't careful. Please just be mindful of that, I don't want you to have a shitty time in December. 

The highlighted is already too late for me, nothing I can do now to stop that 😅 I'm destined to live and die by the sword at this point, too long of build up that can't be undone.

I'm confident though.

22 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Interesting you use a bunch of sequels less comparable to Avatar 2 than Top Gun Maverick.

Top Gun -> TGM
Episode 3 -> The Force Awakens
Jurassic Park 3 -> Jurassic World

All 3 of these are more comparable in time frame that what you posted.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So 1.2 or 1.3 billion with China/Russia was what MOM should've made?

How many sequels increase 100% at the box office, especially when the plot relies on a tv show?

John Wick 2 (86m v 172m) 

Dark Knight (374m v 1b)

Iron Man 3 (624m v 1.24b)

Shrek 2 (488 v 929)

Toy Story 3** (511m v 1.07b)   **with Massive Inflation **

Despicable Me 2 (543m v 971m)

Obviously not involving a TV show and many of these involved more inflation than DS1-2. 

Not sassing at all, just thought it would be worth noting the literal answer (and near misses) to the question and looking at the franchises and reasons involved. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Non of them^ were sequels to the most successful movie of all time after 13 years of waiting. Avatar sequel is a different (its own) story. ATP is much higher now than it was 13 years ago, in the case of above sequels it was only 3-4 year gap. Similiar drop for Avatar2 will still put it well over $700m DOM.

9 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

John Wick 2 (86m v 172m) 

Dark Knight (374m v 1b)

Iron Man 3 (624m v 1.24b)

Shrek 2 (488 v 929)

Toy Story 3** (511m v 1.07b)   **with Massive Inflation **

Despicable Me 2 (543m v 971m)

Obviously not involving a TV show and many of these involved more inflation than DS1-2. 

Not sassing at all, just thought it would be worth noting the literal answer (and near misses) to the question and looking at the franchises and reasons involved. 

Fair enough.

I still think it's relatively rare.

43 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So 1.2 or 1.3 billion with China/Russia was what MOM should've made?

How many sequels increase 100% at the box office, especially when the plot relies on a tv show?

DS2 was the next big multiverse chapter after the gigantic hit of NWH and was marketed as this crazy fest of cameos and appearances.

People acting like it is a normal sequel and made what it did because of the popularity of Strange 1 and/or Wandavision is either being naive or dishonest.

2 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Is this guy seriously trying to run with "This film SHOULD have had a top 8 opening of all time and anything less than that is a disappointment"?

Reese Witherspoon What Like Its Hard GIF

Spoiler

Both default forum gif choices for this have the wrong punctuation and it’s grating on me.  

But seriously, top 8 OW is not that hard. Plenty of movies where missing that would make them disappointing openers.

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The only thing that saves Avatar 2 from losing to BP2 domestic is it's leggy release date.

Cause I doubt it opens close to 200m.

Even James Cameron questions if the popularity is still there.

So long as it opens to over about $160m, Avatar 2 will leg straight to the bank. As the quality is umatched, and the christmas period is perfect.