Eric Loves Rey

THE OFFICIAL BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER WEEKEND THREAD | 181M OW

1 minute ago, exomassey said:

Maybe sales aren’t really kicking into gear because the last two MCU (Multiverse of Madness and Thor 4) were a bit underwhelming. Audiences are more cautious.

Maybe it’s MCU fatigue or sometimes sequels just drop. The 1st one was such a cultural phenomenon you can’t really recreate that.

I think there's definitely a bit of that, yeah.

I just hope walkups suprise is all and that maybe we can can come to the conclusion that Black Panther is a very walkup driven franchise. We'll see ...

Personally I don't even think the November record is in the bag of this does $27M in previews. But again, let's see on those walkups.

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

More like apathy I suppose. We'll see how things pan out. If it is in the $170 million range, then apathy and MCU exhaustion may be the issue. Spiderman will always be big because he's top 3 in superhero popularity. But this one ha the marketing and had the trailer/teaser excitement and social media buzz.

But let's not count the dead chickens before they die.

But Kang Dynasty doesn't really have a ton of build up. Last episode of Loki and then one other movie. This is unlike the constant Thanos brooding in several movies.

So, if it drops to my $125-$155M OW range from a few weeks ago (where I got laughed off the boards for)...

I mean, it's really hard to open a movie about a beloved main character no longer in his own movie.

And it's really hard to open a long, sad movie, especially after a week of non-happiness with elections...no matter how rewarding the viewing might be.

And it's really hard to do it all after 2 REALLY subpar MCU openings this year.

When I made my prediction, I said $250M for the main demo and $80M for the rest.  I just don't see much GA (aka non-invested MCU folks) showing up if they are not the main demo in this ticket-inflationary environment.  So, I don't see families coming in force if they are not main demo.  And I don't see non-subscribers doing that either if they are not already MCU-enthusiastic or in the main demo.

And I do think Friday will be the best day for this weekend.  So, I wouldn't totally panic off Thursday.  Friday will be the highest day, and then I expect a real drop Saturday.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Blankments said:

is black panther mcu? i don't think so!

BP is MCU but the character has lost importance in the eyes of public when Chadwick died & Marvel decided not to recast T'challa. People were seeing T'challa as one of the big 3 of current saga but now they don't even consider BP in big 5. Whatever excitement for this movie is because of T'challa tribute & Wakanda.

Edited by Factcheck
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

2 minutes ago, Factcheck said:

BP is MCU but the character have lost importance in the eyes of public when Chadwick died & Marvel decided not to recast T'challa. People were seeing T'challa as one of the big 3 of current saga but now they don't even consider the character in big 5. Whatever excitement for this movie is because of T'challa tribute & Wakanda.

nah, black panther (the franchise) is bigger than most mcu even without t'challa. this might drop, but it'll be a standard sequel drop unrelated to the receptions of MoM or LaT. Only phase 4 movie my parents saw was NWH and they got tix to see this this coming week; the audience is different than the MCU core

(again, not saying it won't drop but if it's walkup heavy, which i feel like we're all counting on to some degree, that plays directly against the mcu pattern of these weekends. suppose we'll see tho!)

• Like 3

I said previously that if this drops more JWFK dropped from JW, it would be disastrous. Thus, less than $445 million domestic would be disastrous.

Now some are saying this may not even open with $170 million? Good God!!!

Edited by jedijake

1 minute ago, jedijake said:

I said previously that if this drops more JWFK dropped from JW, it would be disastrous.

That would not be more than JWFK from JW

3 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I said previously that if this drops more JWFK dropped from JW, it would be disastrous. Thus, less than $445 million domestic would be disastrous.

I mean, while I'm saying that, I'm also saying I could be wrong, too.  It's a good sign that Cinemark has a wait queue right now - that at least seems to indicate an audience that might be late breaking buyers...

11 minutes ago, K'uk'ulkan XXR said:

That would not be more than JWFK from JW

I meant the total domestic drop. If BPWF opens less than $170 million, it will not make $446 million overall. While the OW won't have the same drop, the domestic drop would be bigger.

Remember, JWFK had a 2.81x multiplier. If BPWF opens less than $170 million, it will likely not even be close to a 2.81X. Maybe 2.60X which would give it around $440 m.

What I am hoping for is that people wanting to buy tickets have seen a lot of empty seats, so they decided to wait until the day before to get tickets.

Edited by jedijake

Thor L&T had middling WOM and a summer, post 4th of July Friday, and yet still saw a moderate increase (+4%) for Saturday. MoM was a far more immediate hype/avoid spoilers release and was +6%.

Its an open question where Friday winds up relative to Thur, but even with the holiday (and for demo reasons) I’m expecting at least a +10% Sat/-30% Sun. BPWF is IMO a bit like Jurassic franchie in that despite the added anticipation of a sequel, there’s just a limit to how frontloaded (Th/Fri heavy) it will be (in relation to other MCU titles)

• Like 1