Eric Loves Rey

THE OFFICIAL BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER WEEKEND THREAD | 181M OW

https://deadline.com/2022/11/black-panther-wakanda-forever-opening-global-international-box-office-1235167682/

Disney/Marvel’s Black Panther: Wakanda Forever got out to a $10.1M start in  17 international box office markets on Wednesday. This is ahead of continued offshore rollout through Friday and the sequel’s domestic debut on Friday (domestic previews start Thursday). 

In like-for-likes, the first day overall results are estimated to be 225% ahead of Black Adam, 45% ahead of The Batman, 27% below the orignal Black Panther (which had the benefit of opening during the Lunar New Year in Asia) and 31% below Thor: Love & Thunder (which opened during the summer holidays). 

It was No. 1 in all markets, led by France ($2.2M) for the 3rd highest opening day of 2022 and with 70% market share. 

In Korea, which was the No. 3 overseas grosser on the original film, the Wednesday bow was $1.4M ($2.25M through today and not included in the international total above). The movie has dominated play, but as we noted in our preview, this could be a swing — the country is coming out of a mourning period following a national tragedy.

Indonesia and Germany were even with $900K each on Wednesday. The former landed the 4th highest opening day during the pandemic era and an incredible 99% market share. 

Thailand rounded out the Top 5 on Wednesday with $800K at a 97% share. 

A vast swath of Latin America bows today, and previews are good at $4M (not included in the $10.1M above). Despite only being previews, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever was No. 1 across the region on Wednesday, including both Brazil and Mexico. 

Offshore rollout continues today and tomorrow, with domestic joining on Friday. 

• Like 1

Overseas is fine imo apart from the drop in Korea.

The 1st one released 3 months before Infinity War and it wasn’t really a breakout hit in most countries. Without China and Russia too,  what were we expecting overseas here?

The domestic gross is the one to watch. I think a big drop is expected here too, which shouldn’t be surprising especially without its big star, reviews aren’t as strong and it’s a sequel.

Edited by exomassey

49 minutes ago, M37 said:

Thor L&T had middling WOM and a summer, post 4th of July Friday, and yet still saw a moderate increase (+4%) for Saturday. MoM was a far more immediate hype/avoid spoilers release and was +6%.

Its an open question where Friday winds up relative to Thur, but even with the holiday (and for demo reasons) I’m expecting at least a +10% Sat/-30% Sun. BPWF is IMO a bit like Jurassic franchie in that despite the added anticipation of a sequel, there’s just a limit to how frontloaded (Th/Fri heavy) it will be (in relation to other MCU titles)

Which demo are you referring to that will give it atlest 10% sat.mcu increase flicks have a four quadrant appeal and cater to the same audience.WF is no less atleast I think.

Why are you comparing it to Jurassic world. Sure the weekend will be more back loaded that previous MCU offerings this year but still don't get JW comparison

Still think it will stay flat sat and have soft Sunday drop depending on reception.

27-28

40-45

6.4-6.5 IM

I can maybe buy very small increase but 10% coming off a holiday is iffy to me.

46 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Your posts never fail to make me laugh lol.

i wasn't trying to be funny 🤨

every ticket sold for black panther 2 is an extra watch of the avatar 2 trailer, i was hoping it would do better than this...

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, exomassey said:

Overseas is fine imo apart from the drop in Korea.

The 1st one released 3 months before Infinity War and it wasn’t really a breakout hit in most countries. Without China and Russia too,  what were we expecting overseas here?

The domestic gross is the one to watch. I think a big drop is expected here too, which shouldn’t be surprising especially without its big star, reviews aren’t as strong and it’s a sequel.

and Marvel is slowly but surely losing its iron vice grip on the general public. 

30 minutes ago, wboxoffice said:

The Woman King and Black Panther 2 seem to have underperformed... Maybe moviegoers are just saving their money for the real black female superstar Whitney Houston. 😝🙏

Netflix top 10 movies US today: 

7. THE BODYGUARD 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Flopped said:

and Marvel is slowly but surely losing its iron vice grip on the general public. 

Yeah true. I think that’s mostly down to a poor output and prob a bit of superhero fatigue though.

They are still a massive brand. They will never really go away, just not reach the heights of Endgame.

OS numbers dropping from the first film is to be expected regardless of reception imo. The first one was already mainly a domestic superhit (though its OS numbers were still very good ofc), but the combination of Marvel Phase 4 Fatigue (yes, i went there, pls dont stone me) + the movie concept appealing again more to the DOM market than the WW one doesnt help this film OS. 

• Like 2

Spanish language audience reactions are not so good at the moment, but then again with their culture being the villains it's what I'd expect. They may have botched that.

And as far as MCU losing its hold, it is still by far the dominant force. Nothing else will replace it. Not even Avatar. And SW is DOA so........here we are.

Edited by jedijake

17 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Spanish language audience reactions are not so good at the moment, but then again with their culture being the villains it's what I'd expect. They may have botched that.

Really?

My Twitter feed is predominantly in Spanish and most of the reactions I've read so far are positive. I don't follow a lot of Mexicans, though.