Eric S'ennui

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

1 hour ago, Alligator Zatt said:

ou really should play Midnight Suns btw. Don’t let the clunky ugly graphics fool you, it’s the first superhero sim,

Why do I need to do that when I can just play the Sims with Marvel characters? 

I just finished building Namor and Sue an underground home. It’s a private dwelling, but hopefully my OTP polycule of Steve & Sam & Nat & Peggy stop by one day! 

A6832A9B-8683-4716-8F58-B0AB72FB4830.jpeg

339640DD-1B57-41F1-A936-ACC116768A8E.jpeg

4558FD35-E317-4760-8FB8-3603C700EA58.png

DD0DCC8D-2623-4C42-A8A4-5A62297B0855.png

ALSO on a serious note: we just lost power, and I don’t know if my phone is going to last night. So let’s try and keep up the friendly joshing tone of the weekend thread, before everything goes to hell in a handbasket during like the five minutes I happen to not be on my phone!! 🙏🙏🙏🙏

(I mean my phones at 68% power, so we might make it. But I just don’t know. This also means we’re not gonna live blog T2  tonight. Will try and do it in the morning!!)

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Cap said:

Why do I need to do that when I can just play the Sims with Marvel characters? 

I just finished building Namor and Sue an underground home. It’s a private dwelling, but hopefully my OTP polycule of Steve & Sam & Nat & Peggy stop by one day! 

A6832A9B-8683-4716-8F58-B0AB72FB4830.jpeg

339640DD-1B57-41F1-A936-ACC116768A8E.jpeg

4558FD35-E317-4760-8FB8-3603C700EA58.png

DD0DCC8D-2623-4C42-A8A4-5A62297B0855.png

ALSO on a serious note: we just lost power, and I don’t know if my phone is going to last night. So let’s try and keep up the friendly joshing tone of the weekend thread, before everything goes to hell in a handbasket during like the five minutes I happen to not be on my phone!! 🙏🙏🙏🙏

(I mean my phones at 68% power, so we might make it. But I just don’t know. This also means we’re not gonna live blog T2  tonight. Will try and do it in the morning!!)

black-panther-namor-my-enemies-call-me-n

Cinema score predictions?

Critics on Rotten Tomatoes may have simmered to 79% fresh, however, audience reactions as polled by Comscore/Screen Engine’s Posttrak are through the roof at 5 stars, 91% and 82% definite recommend. They’re numbers any studio would crave. Audience make-up was 89% general, 5% parents, and 6% kids under 12. Men turned out a bit more than women at 59% to 41%. The 18-34 crowd repped 61% of all ticket buyers last night. Those over 45 were 14%. Those under 25 repped 41%. That latter number is potent given how some were concerned how older skewing this property would be. Again, the older Avatar fans will find their way to this movie with the right seat, right format they desire. No one wants to rush to see this sequel and be stuck in a 10 A.M. front seat in 2D. Diversity turnout was 35% Caucasian, 29% Latino and Hispanic, 15% Asian, and 13% Black. These demos will change throughout the weekend.

That's a shit number. Sorry but critics have done a hit job. Bad RT score that won't convince people on fence to go check it out. Headlines this weekend will be extremely negative. All those hoping for legs are in for a shock. Forget China, it isn't getting legs or walk up business in any big markets. That is telling. Avatar 3 will come out. Avatar 4 can come on disney+hotstar. Avatar 5 and 6 should be canned.

• Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

I'll be very surprised if Avatar 4 and 5 actually end up getting made. With streaming and inflation basically killing theatrical rewatches this movie can't compensate for an underwhelming opening weekend. I'm thinking Avatar 3 is the final chapter now, and that Disney will get Cameron to significantly cut down the runtime.

2 minutes ago, Danhjpn said:

Critics on Rotten Tomatoes may have simmered to 79% fresh, however, audience reactions as polled by Comscore/Screen Engine’s Posttrak are through the roof at 5 stars, 91% and 82% definite recommend. They’re numbers any studio would crave. Audience make-up was 89% general, 5% parents, and 6% kids under 12. Men turned out a bit more than women at 59% to 41%. The 18-34 crowd repped 61% of all ticket buyers last night. Those over 45 were 14%. Those under 25 repped 41%. That latter number is potent given how some were concerned how older skewing this property would be. Again, the older Avatar fans will find their way to this movie with the right seat, right format they desire. No one wants to rush to see this sequel and be stuck in a 10 A.M. front seat in 2D. Diversity turnout was 35% Caucasian, 29% Latino and Hispanic, 15% Asian, and 13% Black. These demos will change throughout the weekend.

It’s an A. It’s always been an A

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danhjpn said:

So yeah, Avatar is a primarily white endeavor. Like I predicted pages ago. 

jeremy-renner-i-cant-seem-to-miss.gif

• Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I'm surprised that it's somehow lower than the first one because everyone's saying that it's better than first one.

Problem with comparing an RT score from now to 2009 is the number of people scoring for RT has dramatically increased.

(also, opinions of A1 might have changed in the last 13 years, including re-examination years down the line)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1