Eric S'ennui

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

1 minute ago, AnDr3s said:

67 vs 130ish  60ish difference

130ish vs 250+  110ish difference

that's what i meant

Legs from 100m and 200m are closer then from the under-90s and over 100m imo. We'll see though.

7 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

Unless the stigma goes away and they become the new pixar 300m OS not happening

I mean certain anime like Demon Slayer, Dragon Ball , Jujutsu Kaisen to name a few already good amount from overseas. And we are talking about future where markets are growing for anime so it's definitely not out of realm of possibility.

5 minutes ago, Nero said:

I mean certain anime like Demon Slayer, Dragon Ball , Jujutsu Kaisen to name a few already good amount from overseas. And we are talking about future where markets are growing for anime so it's definitely not out of realm of possibility.

depends on what time frame are you talking about 

4 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

So I guess it’s fair to say that Avatar didn’t leave a cultural footprint after all….

Everybody talks about its popculture impact, yet no one talks about its poopculture impact

So I have a question... The consensus seems to be the visuals save what the story does not deliver and most of what it saves is in the last 35 or 40 minutes visually. If this thing has to be seen in 3D or Imax to be appreciated and is a dud to see in 2D, then how long can the 3D and IMAX showings makeup for what no one wants to see in 2D? Theaters would have to drop it in 2D theaters which then raises another problem... What if other films coming in have 3D or Imax slots? Doesn't that hurt the bottom line since the story is not the selling point here? 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

17 minutes ago, Eastwood47 said:

So I have a question... The consensus seems to be the visuals save what the story does not deliver and most of what it saves is in the last 35 or 40 minutes visually. If this thing has to be seen in 3D or Imax to be appreciated and is a dud to see in 2D, then how long can the 3D and IMAX showings makeup for what no one wants to see in 2D? Theaters would have to drop it in 2D theaters which then raises another problem... What if other films coming in have 3D or Imax slots? Doesn't that hurt the bottom line since the story is not the selling point here? 

Whose consensus is that? By audience reactions and ratings all across the globe it seems to be like the people's/GA consensus is that the story delivers well enough and doesnt need saving. Not amazingly so that the movie is raised to a MASTERPIECE but certainly i dont see how the consensus isnt generaly positive about the story unless you that perception is informed by reactions in smaller online circles.

Also i dont see any indication or reaction that this anything other than great in 2d as well, let alone a dud. Yeah imax 3d seems to elevate the visual experience to all time highs for a lot of people but that doesnt mean it still doesnt look better than the vast majority of blockbusters in normal cinema screens as well. Yeah people wanna wait to get that imax 3d experience but dont think there have been negative or middling reactions out of 2d screenings or that its anyhthing close to "just any other movie" there visualy

12 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

If this comes under 1.5B WW Avater 4/5 are dead in the (way of) water IM

idk if their analysis has strong reasons to believe that it lost $200-$300m (or more) of potential gross from China due to external factors specific to these months and unrelated to the actual movie, (which seems to be like a logical conclusion rn) they may push Avatar 3 as is in 2024 and have it do better in hopefully better Exchange Rates overseas and very likely better China conditions

Edited by Gkalaitza

4 hours ago, Cap said:
  • EWWWWWWWWW
  • OOOOOOOOOOOH
  • ILM just killing it.
  • Sarah is the exact Type of crazy I love.
  • Lolol “He’ll live”
  • OH LOOK AT THAT FUN CALL BACK!
  • Dogget did the thing!
  • No notes. Just totally engaged
  • Christ, Sarah. PTSD is a hell of a drug
  • “What’s wrong with your eyes?” Just stab me in the heart now. 🥹🥹🥹
  • James Cameron has some THOUGHTS on parenting I See
  • Omg the Van Buren is his wife? AHAAAH. THE OTP I didn’t know I needed. The lieutenant and Papa Pope would be SUCH a power couple. 
  • SARAH 😱😱
  • JOHN 😭😭
  • Yeah, Sarah. You tell all men they are scum.
  • The random VOs are kind of unnecessary,  but the angst is fun. 
  • Where is Dogget. It’s been a hot minute. 

Okay, so… I actually ended up falling asleep doing the last 30 minutes. 😆. I think it was my disappointment over “this is all amazing and wrapping up nicely, oh shit, why are there 30 more minutes (probably 20 without credits)?!”

I thought the third act dragged just slightly, and even though all the individual scenes were amazing (again, mad props to ILM) the whole thing peaked for me at Hasta La Vista, Baby. I wish they had reordered the sequences just a tad. 

It all the right emotions, though. I was feeling my feelings. Love John. Love how messy they allow Sarah to be. Definitely a huge upgrade over the first one for me, and some damn good movie making here. Fun times. 

• Like 1