Eric Quinn

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

I won't get into the weeds of my pros and cons until after the weekend, but I will say that while I think this movie is a better film than the first one it is not a better experience. After I saw Avatar the first time, one of my main thoughts was, "I can't wait to do this again." After seeing TWOW tonight, one of my main thoughts was, "This was very well done but I don't think I'll be paying to see it again." That is not a knock on the film for what it is. There are a lot of good/great films that aren't as re-watchable as lesser films. That's my general thought as of now.

• Like 5

Real talk though.  When was the last time we had a Thursday preview estimate from Deadline?  Had to be pre-'rona, right?  I don't recall us getting one for NWH, though maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention then.

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Real talk though.  When was the last time we had a Thursday preview estimate from Deadline?  Had to be pre-'rona, right?

Pretty sure it was TROS yeah. Don't even think No Way Home got this treatment. Guess this is our first #event

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Deadline decided to just take our tracking thread number - at least we know they read our stuff...

Not regularly, or the reporting in advance of or during weekends would better reflect it ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are hearing from our sources that James Cameron’s sequel to his highest grossing movie in the world, Avatar: The Way of Water, is currently on its way to a $17M Thursday night from showtimes that began at 7PM.

Oh, Deadline. 😂

Never change.  Never EVER CHANGE. 😂 😂😂

• Haha 6
  • ...wtf 1

The Deadline article said The Batman had 17.6 thursday for a 137mil. weekend, but its Thursday showings started at 3pm, while A2's start at 7pm.

Also JW had a 18.6mil Thursday, also from 7pm showings like A2, but had a 208mil OW.

So why are people putting predictions around The Batmans OW ?.

Also in the article they put this -

Through this AM, box office analytics corp EntTelligence reports that the preview night and opening day of Avatar 2 represent only 53% sales are for opening weekend, “which is a very good thing,” reports the org.  

“It means that this movie is not front loaded with steep box office drops.  By way of comparison, a superhero movie often has 70+% of PreSales in for Preview Night/Opening Day.  Lower than 70% is a strong indicator of success.   53% eclipses that benchmark,” reports EntTelligence.

Another indicator that Avatar 2 is not frontloaded: 23% of all presales are for after opening weekend.  The film’s subsequent days of release, after opening weekend, are doing better than Spider-Man: No Way Home.

Does that parry up with peoples tracking estimates on here?, and if it DOES, why is there so much negativity?.

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

The Deadline article said The Batman had 17.6 thursday for a 137mil. weekend, but its Thursday showings started at 3pm, while A2's start at 7pm.

Also JW had a 18.6mil Thursday, also from 7pm showings like A2, but had a 208mil OW.

So why are people putting predictions around The Batmans OW ?.

Also in the article they put this -

Does that parry up with peoples tracking estimates on here?, and if it DOES, why is there so much negativity?.

Deadline is wrong as A2's previews started at ***3PM***. 👍

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2