Eric is Anxious

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

4 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Is it possible that PiBTLW actually increases from first to second weekend because of the winter storm?

Maybe, Sing 2 had only a 9% drop on new year, but I believe those who will skip theaters now due to the storm might go during the weekdays the minute it gets better.

• Like 1

The 8-day holiday period is going to be the key to determining the final range. Here are grosses for Xmas Day Through New Years Day for recent December big openings, grosses after 1/01, and then the ratio of those two (ratio is imprecise due to varying calendar configuration, more of a guide)

TFA = $295.5 / $250.3 (0.85x)

RO = $164.8 / $107.2 (0.65x)

TLJ = $163.3 / $88.7 (0.54x)

Aquaman = $132.0 / $119.6 (0.91x)

ROS = $180.7 / $107.4 (0.59x)

NWH = $190.6 / $208.7 (1.10x)

Avatwo will be at ~$230M by X-Mas Eve (sat). Without getting too much into the nuance/details here, I think the reasonable but optimistic case is something like a $160-170M holiday run, then maybe approaching or matching that total for January and beyond, finishing around/north of  $550M. If you really squint (cherry pick) you can probably still plausibly stretch to $600M+, and in the pessimistic case its lower $500Ms (with potential to fall below $500M)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

As @Cap finally pointed out, we live in an era of instant gratification. If people can't catch it in theaters in its first week or two, then they won't see it at all. They'll probably catch it on streaming a couple of years from now. Both Avatar 2 and Puss in Boots 2 are going to be hit hard by this new reality. The latter's going to be out on digital in a couple of weeks' time anyway per Universal's guidelines.

We both know the instant gratification thing does not equate to more frontloadedness. Top Gun Maverick, Sing 1-2, Jumanji 2-3 are all examples of that. Plus forecasts show the storm should be near or close to over by Tuesday so next weekend should be a clear target of opportunity.

7 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

As @Cap finally pointed out, we live in an era of instant gratification. If people can't catch it in theaters in its first week or two, then they won't see it at all. They'll probably catch it on streaming a couple of years from now. Both Avatar 2 and Puss in Boots 2 are going to be hit hard by this new reality. The latter's going to be out on digital in a couple of weeks' time anyway per Universal's guidelines.

This is getting true for me for shows. I want to watch 2 shows and by the time I finish one of them another new one is out. I watch that first and the other into the ever growing will catch up with list which some people never get back to

On 12/21/2022 at 3:23 AM, Jabba'sMoofmilker said:

joking aside isnt 17M kinda average ?

On 12/21/2022 at 3:25 AM, charlie Jatinder said:

but is 18?

On 12/21/2022 at 3:26 AM, Korra Legion said:

Yeah

Blasto from the pasto

12 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Exactly

24 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Is it possible that PiBTLW actually increases from first to second weekend because of the winter storm?

I'd probably argue its likely - lots of increases in 2016 with this calendar configuration, especially for family movies, without a storm-deflated Xmas weekend

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2016W53/?ref_=bo_wey_table_2

I'm basically giving everything a pass for this weekend, just watching to see how the following week goes

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why did No Way Home make 1.9 billion without China and during omnicron if theaters are doomed?

Maybe Avatar 2 isn't as much of a crowd pleaser.

Well maybe we should wait to see what A2 ends with, not judge it after 6 days.

Plus there is a VERY good chance A2 passes Spidey WW.

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why did No Way Home make 1.9 billion without China and during omnicron if theaters are doomed?

Avatar 2 might be slightly less of a crowd pleaser than a top 2-3 most crowd-pleasing and hyped CBM ever but it still might likely make ~1.6b without China as well . And without Russia/Ukraine and in worse exchange rates while outgrossing NWH in most countries. ATP plays a factor as well but in general i doupt there is a significant gap in "crowdpleasing-ness" between the 2 among the GA

12 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

by my calculations that 1.9b is getting dusted by the end of jan

27 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

NWH is the biggest blockbuster event of all time. Tickets could be 50$ and people would still show up. It can't be compared to anything else except Endgame and The Force Awakens. NWH would have opened with 300M+ in a normal market and I honestly think it would have topped Endgame.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1