Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

28 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

That is why I think 3rd will drop in India.

Yes, definitely. A3 will drop everywhere except china and maybe europe.

Wife did not like the movie at all. She found it boring and incomplete. She says the visuals are not enough to spend so much to watch the movie.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

20 something films means 20 solid films with great big picture story at universe level spanning over various sub franchise.

On other hand, couldn't put a good plot for second film taking 13 years. The working point for A2 remains, "it has good visuals". Good luck running that for 3rd, 4th and 5th time.

Is there a single audience reception metric anywhere that indicates that the GA didnt like A2 plot ,structure and story at least just as much as those of most MCU films ? Yeah its in large part a visual medium and the visuals are THAT good  and well recieved, so you will see way more positive audience reactions online and marketing focusing on that compared to what you had in other blockbusters but there its extremely natural. That would be the case anyway unless this film was an all time great in story ,characters and plot and if any "good plot story and characters" MCU movie had A2 visual polish and level then the marketing and audience reactions would also reflect that to a noticable degree

Also for a sequel after 13 years to a movie and characters most audiences havent had an interaction with in a decade , no matter how popular and loved back then, its completely logical to use the sequels all time great visuals and potential theatrical experience and world immersion as the main "bait" to get people interested and into the theaters. The marketing for the next one will start just a year from now and with everyone that watched and liked the movie ,the characters and story as well , having stuff fresh on their minds and active interest and investment in the wolrd and story. The working point for the next movie and the "sell" for it will successfully include more character and plot stuff. It seems only natural

So i feel your read is mostly projecting your own experience with the movie 

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Are you kidding me? Bunch of undetectable (to humans) earthquakes, which happens all the time, and the two largest of them were in Pakistan and Afghanistan. That is your source for earthquake in India? What is even the point of bringing it up.

What is the relevance of this? Yes I am aware that small, largely undetectable seismic events happen all the time all over the globe but thats not the point is it? The above user was talking about some newsworthy earthquake in India and I pointed out to him that is not true, given you know, that I am in India. 

3.5 zee believe me people felt it and got nervous but still went..

That was my point. Regular movies folks are staying home seeing snow blizzards or getting even  one ground shake.

This is the power of superior filmmaking on your fanbase. Like i.said have no idea.how folks in india handle small quakes. But a 3.5-4 even for secs is not that slight for most.Also depends your location.

25 minutes ago, stripe said:

32M Monday would be nice.

Let's guess

24M Tuesday

21M Wednesday

20M Thursday

23.5M Friday

16M Saturday

22.5M Sunday

19M Monday

That would be 146M for the rest of Holidays. Around 430M. From there, it wouldnt surprise me to see Avatar 2 grossing another 170M

Maybe I am a bit optimistic with these numbers?

They don’t look overly optimistic.

• Thanks 1

All the admission talks makes me think that it doesn't matter for Avatar itself.

Yes there are several other movies that will sell more tickets, and it's fine, a franchise doesn't need to always be the biggest thing in the world.

Unlike other Avatar fans, to me A2 battle was never being able to match or get close to A1 or huge MCU events admissions. It's normal that sequels for pretty much all huge original entries ended up dropping quite a lot. 

The battle A2 have to fight is prove it's relevancy. It's prove that despite a complete cultural shift in the 13 years between movies, it still can retain a big audience, big enough to justify the huge investments. And most important, once again please the audiences that showed up. 

Even selling less tickets than some other huge blockbusters, the movie did proof that it survives the completely new reality about the industry, retain a very decent amount of the audience and please them a lot overall. 

This is what solidified this franchise. Cameron should be celebrating because he's probably the last one "old school director" that manage to keep it's appeal to the masses in such a challenging time. And the industry should be celebrating even more because now they have another franchise with global appeal in a period where the industry is struggling to reinvent itself and attract audiences. 

Selling less tickets than other huge movies is an important data, but one that's absolutely fine. Like SW always will have it's peak at the first movie and this didn't stopped of becoming a stablished universe, Avatar is probably just going the same route.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

Cameron stated that the 3rd one is nuts and crazy things will happen dude.

People forgot movie is visual medium after all. And as flawed as A2' story went, the story is still better than 95% of the tentpoles offered out there.  The movie clearly didn't have toxic WOM, even relatively fast burned market like India and South East Asian show pretty good leg so far. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Babylon updated down from 5.3M to 4.8M over 4 days. ☠️

This has to be one of the biggest bombs of all time. 

Look so horrible in the trailers. I just.Can't figure out how they thought this would make money during winter season vs A2 and Puss etc?

Just now, eridani said:

Shouldn't the actuals for monday be out already? 

Maybe - some Christmas weeks, actuals don't come til Jan 2-3, since everyone takes the whole week off.  Although, this is by studio, so we may get some actuals, all actuals, or no actuals this week...

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

People forgot movie is visual medium after all. And as flawed as A2' story went, the story is still better than 95% of the tentpoles offered out there.  The movie clearly didn't have toxic WOM, even relatively fast burned market like India and South East Asian show pretty good leg so far. 

Yup. It's absolutely a visual medium. I'd say the story more or less falls in right maybe even a bit below the line for the average, run of the mill story in blockbusters today. I'd say the characters save a select are much duller than that though... For me at least. So while the wonderful 3D pulls me in, not much else does. Hopefully the craziness implied with 3rd and 4th means they're going to jettison some characters for new, more compelling ones by uprooting the plot in some spots. 

6 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Babylon updated down from 5.3M to 4.8M over 4 days. ☠️

This has to be one of the biggest bombs of all time. 

Proof that Star power is irrelevant. If a movie is not appealing, people won't go. Brad Pitt just had a nice 100M grosser this summer with Bullet Train, but people couldn't care less he's in a new movie