XXR & Friends

New Years Weekend Thread || Dec. 30-Jan. 1 || ATWOW $67.4M 3rd WE - $88.8M 4-Day WE — Orange Panther $22.6M 4-Day!

21 minutes ago, Gkalaitza said:

Wasnt the 24.4 for FRI actuals

Actualls come out after the weekend, usually on mondays but this monday is a holiday for many.

EDIT:

We should get updated estimates today, though.

Edited by Elessar

6 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Damn we already lost Chadwick. These guys are too young to be dying on us.

I hope the best for Jeremy and his family.

Wow what happened?

Checking. Wow I like Jeremy. Hawkeye and Bourne and Hansel and gretel..He always shines in what he takes on. Hope they got it wrong or dude recovers.  Saying prayers for him and his family🙏🦝

as well.

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

So 66.35 vs BP’s 66.3…

It's going to be so close!

Goal for next weekend: 40.8M+, aka top5 4th weekend. It should be top4, though, because American Sniper's 90M shouldn't count as fourth weekend.

9 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Because it opened under $50M for the weekend, which means a 17-day window per Universal's contracts this year. I can't really blame them because of the instant gratification era we're now living in. It's either opening weekend or streaming for most audiences these days.

I was wondering this a while ago. I really do think it’s down to contracts and they have a commitment they have to honour. It’ll die a death soon enough I’m sure. 

3 hours ago, Elessar said:

What is the movie with the most 20m+ days? Avatar 2 should have 11, same as Endgame.

TFA was over $20M for the first 17 days of release, and nearly nabbed an 18th day on the following Saturday. (Avatar had only 9)

• Like 3

I'd like to apologize to the member here who had said that he was hoping that it could possibly increase this weekend from last and I said that was completely unrealistic and what we should be looking at is around a 15-20% drop. Granted it's not going to increase this weekend but it's going to fall what looks to be around 5%. So that member was way closer in judgment than I was. Now I'm going to tell you something from a user's point of view who used to post here every day and be obsessed with numbers but is now taken a step back, lurks from time to time and never pays attention to the minutiae of the numbers.

What the sequel is doing is absolutely phenomenal. It's actually quite astounding. So many of you guys are hung up with weekend records and second weekend records and if it's going to get a Wednesday record or if it's going to increase by $500,000 from the estimates from the day before and so on. And I get that I honestly do because we've all done it. But like I said I just lurk now and I don't care about the itty bitty details of the movie. This film is going to gross 2 billion dollars. This film is going to get 600 million and pass titanic. It might make $700 million I don't know what it's going to end up at but I do know this.

The box office landscape has changed immensely in the last 2 or 3 years. There are still movies from time to time that knocked out of the park like spider-man. But there's also plenty of examples of films like black panther and Thor and a few other films that come in under expectations.

Avatar was released in a different time and in a different decade. And yet this sequel is going to come in maybe 500 million short of what the original made and that was a record setting box office take back in 2009. 

I simply can't understand anybody who says that it's underperforming or it's a pedestrian box office run or it's ho-hum and so on. These kind of runs are very very few and far between. They don't come around every year that's for sure.

My suggestion is to take a deep breath enjoy the run for what it is and you sleep better at night not worrying if it goes up $200,000 from the actuals.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

What is the movie with the most 20m+ days? Avatar 2 should have 11, same as Endgame.

3 hours ago, ando said:

TFA with 18 I believe. Avatar 2 is tied with Endgame for 2nd.

26 minutes ago, M37 said:

TFA was over $20M for the first 17 days of release, and nearly nabbed an 18th day on the following Saturday. (Avatar had only 9)

Days Over 20M

TFA - 17

NWH - 14 

Endgame - 11 

ATWOW - 10 (through Jan 1.)

Infinity War - 9 

Black Panther - 9 

Jurassic World - 9 
TGM - 8 

Days Over 10M

TFA - 21 

TGM - 20 

NWH - 18 

Black Panther - 18 

ATWOW - 17 (through Jan 1.)

Endgame - 16 

Jurassic World - 16 

Infinity War - 15 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Granted it's not going to increase this weekend but it's going to fall what looks to be around 5%.

It looks to be increasing by about 5% (they underestimated Sunday).

Otherwise i agree with the sentiment of your post.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

Days Over 20M

TFA - 17

NWH - 14 

Endgame - 11 

ATWOW - 10 (through Jan 2.)

Off a $24M Sun, pretty good chance we’re at 11 by Jan 2 (might want to edit that to through Jan 1 until we know for sure)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, XXR the Conqueror said:

Days Over 20M

TFA - 17

NWH - 14 

Endgame - 11 

ATWOW - 10 (through Jan 1.)

Infinity War - 9 

Black Panther - 9 

Jurassic World - 9 
TGM - 8 

Days Over 10M

TFA - 21 

TGM - 20 

NWH - 18 

Black Panther - 18 

ATWOW - 17 (through Jan 1.)

Endgame - 16 

Jurassic World - 16 

Infinity War - 15 

Maybe Tue, Fri, Sat x2, Sun for A2. If ultra leggy can see another Sat. So total 23 as a best case, 21 and a tie with TFA looks reasonable.

3 hours ago, baumer said:

I'd like to apologize to the member here who had said that he was hoping that it could possibly increase this weekend from last and I said that was completely unrealistic and what we should be looking at is around a 15-20% drop. Granted it's not going to increase this weekend but it's going to fall what looks to be around 5%. So that member was way closer in judgment than I was. Now I'm going to tell you something from a user's point of view who used to post here every day and be obsessed with numbers but is now taken a step back, lurks from time to time and never pays attention to the minutiae of the numbers.

What the sequel is doing is absolutely phenomenal. It's actually quite astounding. So many of you guys are hung up with weekend records and second weekend records and if it's going to get a Wednesday record or if it's going to increase by $500,000 from the estimates from the day before and so on. And I get that I honestly do because we've all done it. But like I said I just lurk now and I don't care about the itty bitty details of the movie. This film is going to gross 2 billion dollars. This film is going to get 600 million and pass titanic. It might make $700 million I don't know what it's going to end up at but I do know this.

The box office landscape has changed immensely in the last 2 or 3 years. There are still movies from time to time that knocked out of the park like spider-man. But there's also plenty of examples of films like black panther and Thor and a few other films that come in under expectations.

Avatar was released in a different time and in a different decade. And yet this sequel is going to come in maybe 500 million short of what the original made and that was a record setting box office take back in 2009. 

I simply can't understand anybody who says that it's underperforming or it's a pedestrian box office run or it's ho-hum and so on. These kind of runs are very very few and far between. They don't come around every year that's for sure.

My suggestion is to take a deep breath enjoy the run for what it is and you sleep better at night not worrying if it goes up $200,000 from the actuals.

The trio that is NO WAY HOME, MAVERICK, and THE WAY OF WATER has actually spoiled us. We won't see similar performances this year. Maybe. 😅

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 4

I have been reading reactions to tweets from some of the trades about the box office prospects of the (big) movies this year, and some people keep on saying that we shouldn't be patronizing this "crap" that Hollywood offers every year. But when that very Hollywood offers critically aclaimed and potentially award-winning movies, the people don't want them either. They don't watch these movies. So what should Hollywood do? 🙃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1