Noctis

The Last Of Us - universal acclaim!

3 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Bella was absolutely the perfect choice for Ellie. Her acting has brought so many episodes to another level.

She has been impressive, I agree. What she nails for me is her character's facade of being "tough" and knowing it all, balanced with her childlike disposition (we see that she is just a kid, who can be silly - and deep down just wants to be taken care of in this world). She feels like a 14 year old.

Spoiler

Some impressive moments for me include:

- The emotional aftermath of her shooting the attacker to save Joel in Kansas City

- Her reaction when Joel is reunited with his brother

- Ellie & Joel's argument

- Her reaction/face/tears at the end of episode 5 when Sam is killed and Henry shoots himself are seared into my brain - I go back to that episode just to watch that scene

This episode I thought was a stand out for her - the complexity of emotions in her face throughout the episode, with the layers of her relationship with Riley, her underlying fears (abandoned again), etc. 

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, MrPink said:

Mmm yeah, the DLC is kinda of supplemental and the episode reflects that. I don't think it's bad but I've never felt the urge to revisit Left Behind. The ending was strong though and the set looked amazing, so props for that.

I agree the ending is pretty strong (I saw my friend cried for the first time ever watching it). But it also exemplifies what feels off about the show. A lot of it feels too sanitized or uplifting and we are made to sympathize with Joel too much. I'm a little worried they're gonna hold back at the end and remove any moral ambiguity/nuance that the game's ending had. The progression of Joel and Ellie's relationship is a little on the nose here while it's much more complicated in the game.

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I agree the ending is pretty strong (I saw my friend cried for the first time ever watching it). But it also exemplifies what feels off about the show. A lot of it feels too sanitized or uplifting and we are made to sympathize with Joel too much. I'm a little worried they're gonna hold back at the end and remove any moral ambiguity/nuance that the game's ending had. The progression of Joel and Ellie's relationship is a little on the nose here while it's much more complicated in the game.

Game spoilers below:

Spoiler

I don't think they're gonna hold back per se, perhaps it might not feel wholly earned because they've certainly stripped down the story and removed some of that character building that happens in sections that don't necessarily drive story. But that's the trade off with adaptations like these. A lot of your worldview of Joel is dictated by your actions in the game. But after a certain point in a tv show, stealthing a bunch of dudes and clubbing someone with a spiked bat repeatedly is not something that translates to TV.  Which granted, they haven't really done in the show much. But I also understand why they're not doing it either. Perhaps I might share your concern after next week's episode but a lot of Joel's ugliness within the narrative doesn't really feature until the next part anyway. And the show has tried to emphasize his past a lot more than the original game did.

The show is the show and it doesn't really bother me too much that it's not following the game in every respect. I think I understand most of the choices made, but I don't feel bothered when I feel there's a misstep because I feel the game has missteps of its own often in different ways. But like, Druckmann is majorly part of the process, I don't think he's reneging on the ending. He really only doubled down on it further with Part 2, so I don't think he's turning back now.

I've been listening to the Watch podcast and something Andy Greenwald says repeatedly for each episode discussion is "It's just good." Like everything is quality and not nearly everything is perfect but everything feels thoughtfully done and I agree with that. It's weird to analyze this show and compare it to the game and look at the game as the superior product because it's so often the game isn't worth putting on the pedestal in the first place. And I'm not even sure the Last of Us Part I is THAT good on a narrative level. But  like every week I watch, and I feel like I watched a good episode of TV generally, with a couple standouts. For me, I feel satisfied by that I guess.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

I cried. 

Spoiler

The way Joel looks at Ellie at the end and then says, "It's okay, baby girl." 😭

Fantastic episode. I'll expand on my thoughts later, if I feel like it - time for bed.

(PS. When David asked the girl at the beginning if she remembers what's next, and he recites the rest of the bible verse, did anyone else's mind immediately go to Titanic and the priest during the sinking? Just me? Yeah, I've seen it too many times...)

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 4

Overall good episode, definitely the strongest since 1 and 2.  

Though I actually started laughing at Ellie's dramatic scene near the end when shes going to town on the guy, it went on too long which made it unintentionally funnydefinitely could've used trimming in the editing room.

8 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Overall good episode, definitely the strongest since 1 and 2.  

Though I actually started laughing at Ellie's dramatic scene near the end when shes going to town on the guy, it went on too long which made it unintentionally funnydefinitely could've used trimming in the editing room.

It's a shot for shot with the game

Excellent episode, again. Probably had me the most emotional since episode 3.

2 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

It's a shot for shot with the game

Excellent episode, again. Probably had me the most emotional since episode 3.

Nah she got double the swipes in here compared to the original game

Spoiler

Since Joel interrupts her in the game.

Definitely a really strong episode. The actor who played David did such a great job being very unsettling.

Spoiler

Ramsey was amazing this episode. She knocked it out of the park with her performances in the cage and when David was pinning her down in the fire scene. You could see all the horror in her eyes and and her disgust with him. Felt very cathartic to see her go to town on him, especially after being sexually assaulted. Also his past history with him mentioning he was a teacher felt so disgusting jeeeez.

Also loved that the interrogation scene made it in from the game. I do liked they portrayed him as still weak from the wound so every punch seemed to take it out of him but he was so menacing with the "pop your kneecap off" line and the way he had that slight smile after he killed the tied up guy in the couch.

"It's okay, I believe him."

I think she can carry the second game's plot for season two imo.

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 2

Usually when this show copies the game scene for scene (which is a lot) it falls short, but I didn't feel that here. It somehow worked, probably because David was well-cast. If only we'd gotten more episodes of Joel and Ellie together, up against it. The season simply wasn't long enough for their story.

Edited by Hatebox

On 3/7/2023 at 11:34 PM, ChipDerby said:

Will the Season 2 premiere be the biggest season premiere rating HBO has ever had?

Nope. But I can't WAIT for The Last of Us 2. That show is going to be insane.

A decent if rushed finale. It felt like they suddenly ran out of money and had to wrap it up asap. If you played the game I really have no idea what more you take from that episode that you didn't get the first time, but then I generally dislike slavishly faithful adaptations so maybe that's just me.

With that in mind I'm actually quite interested in season 2! It'll be an absolutely clusterfuck if they copy the game as much as they did here, so I don't think they'll do that.

Edited by Hatebox