Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates: Avatar 19.7, Puss 11.5, M3GAN 9.8, Missing 9.3, Otto 9

38 minutes ago, DAJK said:

BOM has Missing's domestic total at 4.2M. I assume that extra 800k is from Early Access screenings/Regal Mystery Movie? Or is it an error on BOM's part?

If that 800k is counted towards the weekend's gross, it could come close to double-digits.

It looks like they double added the $760K previews in on top of the full Friday number (which already included previews)

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Knock at the Cabin could’ve moved forward a week to the 27th. 

Is the only opener next weekend Infinity Pool? 

Big foreign film open that is getting a lot of Cinemark Dolby again - Pathaan is getting double screened in presales (one Dolby, 1 regular) at one of my locals...

• Thanks 1

Reaching 600M is kind of a long shot for A2 this weekend, but also not completely impossible.

Thursdays international numbers have been 5x higher (9,9M) than DOM`s, so it could reach up to 2,05B WW after this weekend.

I hope Puss passes 200 - it deserves it

• Like 1

Just now, chaos said:

Reaching 600M is kind of a long shot for A2 this weekend, but also not completely impossible.

Thursdays international numbers have been 5x higher (9,9M) than DOM`s, so it could reach up to 2,05B WW after this weekend.

I hope Puss passes 200 - it deserves it

Thu was that much higher internationally because china had nutso final week dailies. China friday was also hella high but sat was very subdued due to loss of screens and sun will be nonexistent.

35 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Puss in Boots crossing 200M DOM would be as close to divine justice as we will probably get for quite some time.

wouldnt call it completely shocking though 

1 hour ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

It can't be. E.T.'s sixteen number ones weren't consecutive.

Have just checked. It's only from 1982 onwards. I've checked and info on some weekends are missing. Like a lot of weekends.

It's weird, another article says E.T. held the number one spot for 16 consecutive weekends, but when I checked, it didn't. 🤔

https://movieweb.com/movies-most-weekends-number-one-box-office/

Edited by kayumanggi

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Its a fairly consistent pattern across the years (I wouldn't have assumed so either tbh, until I started looking at it). Some years with a later MLK Day (like 2019 & 20) overstate the bigger Sat jump, as that was the week of the NFL Conf Champ games, so the viewership dampening the previous Saturday all gets shifted into that Sunday instead

The Friday delta is more pronounced, but everything should have a slightly better Sat increase this week than last

And factoring in Popcorn Thursday many of the titles had a flat or lower increase when compared to last week. I get it now

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric is Missing said:

So like...is there a reason why Missing is doing on par with Searching here like this? Because I know this isn't really a Searching sequel per se, but that film didn't really have much staying power or longevity after its release.

That STOP SCROLLING ad became a viral meme and Storm Reid has gotten a lot of exposure among young demos playing Zendaya's kid sister on Euphoria

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

Thu was that much higher internationally because china had nutso final week dailies. China friday was also hella high but sat was very subdued due to loss of screens and sun will be nonexistent.

Thx for the clarification. Seemed a bit off tbh.

The 30/70 split is more likely in the long run, like Titanic or Endgame.

1 hour ago, XXR You Ok Annie said:

195-215 DOM

So … better legs than Greatest Showman from this point? 

Bonus for me since that was my pick for next $200-$300M title, but I think you and I have very different visions of how the next couple of weeks and esp February are going to go

MOST CONSECUTIVE WEEKENDS AT NUMBER 1

rank / number of weekends at number 1 / movie

01 / 15 / TITANIC (1997)

02 / 13 / BEVERLY HILLS COP (1984)

03 / 13 / TOOTSIE (1982)

04 / 12 / HOME ALONE (1990)

05 / 09 / CROCODILE DUNDEE (1986)

06 / 09 / GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM (1987)

07 / 08 / BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985)

08 / 08 / FATAL ATTRACTION (1987)

09 / 08 / PORKY'S (1982)

10 / 07 / AVATAR (2009)

11 / 07 / GHOSTBUSTERS (1984)

12 / 06 / AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER (2022)

13 / 06 / THE FUGITIVE (1993)

14 / 06 / E.T. THE EXTRA TERRESTRIAL (1982)

15 / 06 / ROCKY IV (1985)

*three James Cameron films

*only two movies from year 2000 onwards; both are AVATAR movies

I have updated the list, @CaptNathanBrittles. This is just for consecutive number ones.

• Like 2

Even with only 650M Dom it should end up close to or above Titanic WW, considering it stays at 30%. 

And it will have several reruns, considering the next 3 Movies.  Titanic will have one too, so it could be really close between the 2.

6 Cameron movies under the Top 7 WW is a possibility in a few years.

Also Zoe Zaldana could be in 7 out of the 10 highest crossing movies ever.  (if her char survives)

That just great but not exceptional Friday hold for Avatar 2 basically seal the below TGM deal, even 700m become very tough threshold to hit. I am still thinking $680m. Hope $2bn headline and Oscar nomination boost some positive buzz back to the film.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

wouldnt call it completely shocking though 

Oh it’s pretty freaking shocking. It is literally having TGS run with a slightly bigger OW, aka one of the best runs of the entire 21st century. Add to that it is animation, which has been sentenced to die at the theaters ever since COVID and the run is borderline mind boggling. So great to see. 

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

That just great but not exceptional Friday hold for Avatar 2 basically seal the below TGM deal, even 700m become very tough threshold to hit. I am still thinking $680m. Hope $2bn headline and Oscar nomination boost some positive buzz back to the film.  

That's its only hope for $700+ million at this point, but the Oscars are essentially irrelevant now so not sure how much good a few Oscar nominations will do for it.