Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates: Avatar 19.7, Puss 11.5, M3GAN 9.8, Missing 9.3, Otto 9

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Off Topic Again, but I would NOT want to be Dalton Schultz (Dallas Cowboy TE)  right about now. 

Something, something...Cowboys choking...something, something...

Cowboys could have won that game if they were sharper on offense b/c their D played great...but they weren't...

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Cowboys could have won that game if they were sharper on offense b/c their D played great...but they weren't...

Wellll, I wouldn't say the Cowboys choked in that game, just that the Niners made fewer mistakes.  Do agree that the Cowboys could have won, but their offense wasn't as sharp because the Niners defense is just that good.  They play a punishing style of defense that forces teams into making mistakes.  Hell, the Niners could have had a pick six to seal the game at the end*, that's how much suffocating pressure they put on Dak all game.

* Then again, the ol' adage of "if the player had good hands, they'd be a wide receiver" comes into play.

As it is, should be a really good NFC title game, with whichever team making the fewest mistakes/capitalizing on opponents mistakes more, winning.  Eagles prob be favored by 3 to 4 or so, but can easily see either team winning it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Wellll, I wouldn't say the Cowboys choked in that game, just that the Niners made fewer mistakes.  Do agree that the Cowboys could have won, but their offense wasn't as sharp because the Niners defense is just that good.  They play a punishing style of defense that forces teams into making mistakes.  Hell, the Niners could have had a pick six to seal the game at the end*, that's how much suffocating pressure they put on Dak all game.

* Then again, the ol' adage of "if the player had good hands, they'd be a wide receiver" comes into play.

As it is, should be a really good NFC title game, with whichever team making the fewest mistakes/capitalizing on opponents mistakes more, winning.  Eagles prob be favored by 3 to 4 or so, but can easily see either team winning it.

Purdy did finally look like a rookie today. That's about the Eagles only hope.  Purdy got pressured and he really didn't know what to do most of the game (til early in the 4th?).  And the Eagles can probably get even more pressure up front than Dallas can...

Funny that 3 of last year's final 4 teams are there again this year, even after all the turnover in the top teams...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Eagles prob be favored by 3 to 4 or so, but can easily see either team winning it.

Opened at -1.5/-2 which seems low IMO 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

I would have had it even - but Eagles fans are nuts and will bet the Eagles a ton, so that's the opening line...

49ers have way more talent on all 3 sides of the ball.  Eagles have a hurt Hurts and the O-line...

But they have the 12th man and the earlier start time (may hurt the west coast team)...so 1.5 seems right.  I'd expect it may even flip to 1.5 for the 49ers, but we'll see...unlike Dallas, the 49ers came out of today's game without injury, so they are as good as they can be...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Best of luck to the both of you next week.  Hopefully it will be a really good game.  I will be rooting for SF but wouldn't be surprised or disappointed with either team advancing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, M37 said:

-2.5 at another book, but I think that 12 game win streak for the Niners/injury concerns still with Hurts looms pretty large. 

FWIW, 3 points is generally the accepted view of home field advantage (at least according to the books) outside of something really serious, so a more or less even game does kinda feel right.

Like, even in adverse conditions, the style of game the Niners are playing (heavy run sets with a game manager QB while focusing on yards after the catch for their explosive plays) should be fine.  Like I said, I was expecting 3 to 4, so 2.5 is right in the ballpark.  Wouldn't really expect the line to move all that much, though Purdy coming down to earth slightly might move the line a bit.

Either way, four fantastic teams left which means no matter what the Super Bowl match up is, it should be a good one.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

The Super Bowl will clearly be Chiefs vs Eagles unless Shanahan calls an aggressive gameplan against Philly or Mahomes knee goes out during Cincy game

As for Cabin in the Woods and the success of Split, regardless of the online mockery m. Night remains one of the most commercially viable filmmakers working. Visit was a remarkable comeback. And he manages to sell films based off high-concept and cinematic verge.

A #1 film of the weekend in 4 separate decades:

90s: Sixth Sense (1999)

00s: Signs (2002), The Village (2004)

10s: Split (2017), Glass (2019)

20s: Old (2021)

Knock At the Cabin should be his 6th overall.

And despite general mixed reception, he usually posits strong multipliers and massive WW numbers per budget post flop streak: (Even then in 2008, Happening did 2.7x budget WW and over 22m in home sales)

Old- 2.86 (5x budget)

Glass- 2.75 (12.3x budget)

Split- 3.45 (31x budget)

The Visit- 2.56 (19.7x budget)

He averages, like what, 36.9m for OW? Very good

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The Super Bowl will clearly be Chiefs vs Eagles unless Shanahan calls an aggressive gameplan against Philly or Mahomes knee goes out during Cincy game

As for Cabin in the Woods and the success of Split, regardless of the online mockery m. Night remains one of the most commercially viable filmmakers working. Visit was a remarkable comeback. And he manages to sell films based off high-concept and cinematic verge.

A #1 film of the weekend in 4 separate decades:

90s: Sixth Sense (1999)

00s: Signs (2002), The Village (2004)

10s: Split (2017), Glass (2019)

20s: Old (2021)

Knock At the Cabin should be his 6th overall.

And despite general mixed reception, he usually posits strong multipliers and massive WW numbers per budget post flop streak: (Even then in 2008, Happening did 2.7x budget WW and over 22m in home sales)

Old- 2.86 (5x budget)

Glass- 2.75 (12.3x budget)

Split- 3.45 (31x budget)

The Visit- 2.56 (19.7x budget)

He averages, like what, 36.9m for OW? Very good

This is even more impressive if we think that almost every film is an original Screenplay. I would say that his only real flops are Lady in the Water (70M WW with a 70M budget) and After Earth (250M WW with a 130M budget).

Last Airbender grossed 2.1x its budget WW.

On 1/22/2023 at 5:30 AM, KGPatt2 said:

That's its only hope for $700+ million at this point, but the Oscars are essentially irrelevant now so not sure how much good a few Oscar nominations will do for it.

That is untrue when last Oscar still drawing rating that rival regular NLF and most of the event show out there. Also, not to mention the publicity and social media engagement reading are still very encouraging stemming from Oscar.  

10 hours ago, Porthos said:

Dak played pretty bad

Shyamalan’s story is remarkable. Unfairly turned on by studios he made ludicrous amounts of money for after a couple of films that didn’t perform. He then puts his own money and wealth on the line with The Visit, and the rest is history.  The guy, whatever you think of his films, has so much bottle and won’t be told what to do by anybody. 

I’d much rather M Night films from his own pen that take risks than him being a director for hire. 

• Like 9

Shyamalan confuses me to be honest. I cant fathom that the same guy that made Unbreakable and The Sixth Sense also made the worst movie of all time, namely The Last Airbender.

But yeah, ever since The Visit, you gotta respect what hes been able to do. And i do think that his newer films - wether good (Split) or bad (The Visit/Old) - are always entertaining to watch atleast.

• Like 3