GOGODanca

2/10 - 2/12 weekend thread

On 2/11/2023 at 2:21 AM, filmlover said:

Yesterday in the tracking thread when the budget was reported I speculated that it was probably because of back end deals and such, considering this was originally intended to be a streaming release.

Shaping up to be a predictably dull Super Bowl weekend between openers that were niche affairs and holdovers being impacted by the big game. So much of 80 for Brady's audience being retirees probably means weekend increases will be on the soft side.

Thandiwe Newton dropping  out 11 days into filming likely added to the budget and apparently Salma Hayek was paid upfront rather than a backend deal.

Edited by Jonwo

57 minutes ago, M37 said:

We’re in the prime period for mid to late-90s nostalgia, so the biggies:

Jurassic Park 

Twister 

Independence Day 

Could see some draw for not quite as high grossing but certainly mainstay “cult classics” like 

Apollo 13

Con Air

Crimson Tide 

Face/Off

Con Air

Speed 

Of course, some of these have had sequels which diminish the call back to a stand-alone film. Most comedies of that era haven’t aged well, but Mrs Doubtfire with the gone-too-soon Robin Williams might be the exception 

If I would have pick a movie that i want to see get yet another theatrical re-release..it would be 2D-animated The Lion King (1994). That film’s lifetime gross is at $968.5M worldwide. Which makes it one of the big movies frustratingly close to the $1B WW-territory. I wish to see it have a fourth re-release just so it can get to the $1B-milestone. It’s just so good & fantastic masterpiece of a movie, not to join there. What is Hollywood doing not giving the OG Lion King more extra box office money?

2 hours ago, Flopped said:

People dont talk enough about The Lion King's 2011 re-release doing 30M opening weekend and staying at #1 the following week with only a 27% drop. 

1 - The Lion King
2011 3D Release
$30,151,614 - 2,330 - $12,940 $30,151,614 1

Funny that you mentioned the original The Lion King. Since that movie’s lifetime gross is at $422.8M DOM & $968.5M WW. And it’s one of those blockbusters that are so frustratingly close to the $1B WW-milestone. Hopefully in the future, a wide re-release would push it there. It’s just too good of movie to be stuck below the $1B-mark.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Funny that you mentioned the original The Lion King. Since that movie’s lifetime gross is at $422.8M DOM & $968.5M WW. And it’s one of those blockbusters that are so frustratingly close to the $1B WW-milestone. Hopefully in the future, a wide re-release would push it there. It’s just too good of movie to be stuck below the $1B-mark.

especially considering the money the property has made in general. The musical grosses are absolutely ludicrous. Hasn’t it made about $6 billion or something? 

55 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Wait. What? Didn't Deadline say we should expect a Marvels trailer?

Deadline listed every major upcoming Disney movie and the article was so poorly written it appeared as if they were saying that all of those films would be getting spots. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

s9qmf2jdqtha1.jpg

Guess nothing for Marvels, Little Mermaid, and Soul. Makes sense since that would require Disney to buy a large amount of spots

I'm pretty sure there is going to be something for Elemental (I assume that's what you meant when you said "Soul"). There's been a big hoopla about how confident Disney is in the film to get a Pixar film Super Bowl ad for the first time in years.

Some behind the scene VFX secret from Avatar 2. The more I look at it, the more I respect the VFX artist. The sheer amount of sincerity in production for Avatar 2 is crazy. You can't rush art. This is how you get rid of zoom background VFX effect. 

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

It looks like this Monday will be the first day of 2023 with no movie grossing over 1M.
Only hope is some kind of VD boost for 80 for Brady, Titanic or Magic Mike.

First day with no movie over 1M:

2022: Jan, 24

2020: March, 15 (COVID killed a great start of year)

2019: Feb, 4

2018: Feb, 5

2017: Feb, 8

2016: Feb, 10

2015: March, 11

2014: Feb, 3

2013: Feb, 25

2012: May, 3 (record! Day before Avengers)

2010: April, 26 

Edited by stripe