CJohn

Friday Numbers (THG: 6.5M; T3S: 5.6M; CitW: 5.5M)

I've pretty much learned not to assume that good reviews translate to good WOM. Didn't Drive get a C- Cinemascore?

The trouble is Drive and Cabin were advertised as something they weren't, and audiences don't like to be fooled into watching genres they didn't pay for even if the movies themselves are actually pretty good. That was definitely the case with Drive.

Wow. First the Stooges surprises with the reviews (which arent good, per se, but i seriously thought this would get like 7% on RT) and now its close to beating THG for the #1 spot. This'll be a interesting weekend.,

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 had made 343m in it's fourth weekend with 12m weekend gross and with THG going to make 20m+ add to already 315m gross it has it will be around 335-338m total after this weekends numbers are added to the total gross and with much more gasoline left in THG's trank it's hard to say that THG will make less than 380m. So no matter where it ends up this is amazing perfomance and will be one to be remembered forever like SM1 in 2002. I wonder if Catching Fire and MJ can come close or beat this gross from THG.

THG would have to do like no less than 22m this weekend, then have about only a 25% drop next weekend, and have Think Like a Man and Lucky One both under perform with about $16-17m to get a 5th weekend at #1. So in other words, yeah, it ain't happening. Would be cool though.

Dark Knight grossed 16.3M in its 5th weekend, so yes 16-17M for THG would be pretty cool indeed.

"CITW currently has a positive to negative tweet ratio of 1:1...that's putrid. How does a film become this polarizing? "Marketing that basically lures people with the promise of something that the film doesn't deliver. If you market your film as a horror film, and people realize it's actually a "comedy" ( in quotations because winking at the audience and referencig pop culture—whedon's only trick in his bag— should not be confused with comedy) you bet your sweet patootie that audiences are going to turn against your film.

Marketing that basically lures people with the promise of something that the film doesn't deliver. If you market your film as a horror film, and people realize it's actually a "comedy" ( in quotations because winking at the audience and referencig pop culture—whedon's only trick in his bag— should not be confused with comedy) you bet your sweet patootie that audiences are going to turn against your film.

Um, I think that the marketing was pretty clear that this is not a typical horror film. It even came out and said so explicitly. I don't see how people could have been duped into thinking otherwise. And what other kind of comedy would you have put in, hm? This isn't exactly a movie where fart jokes or slapstick would make sense. Given the genre, the comedy is perfectly sensible and well-executed, IMO.

The Cinemascores aren't so promising either...B- for Three StoogesB- for LockoutAnd a C for Cabin In The Woods. :(

As soon as I was spoiled CitW, I said this would be a movie that critics go gaga for and mainstream audiences don`t. And I was right.

High-5 Girl!! Good eye.

Mainstream doesn`t like self-congratulatory ain`t-we-smarter-than-ayone-else high concept that Internet geeks brag about getting while no one else does. It isn`t about getting something or not. It`s about what looks smart to minority, it looks stupid to majority. I said flat out it sounded stupid. So I`m an averige Jane Multiplex, not smarter than other averiges and looks like they feel the same. Couple that with the fact that horror comedies aren`t popular and comedy was not played up in trailers or that "comedy" was, as Cocho points out, pop cultural references, and you see why mixed to negative WOM.

Cameron = Miley (as far as North America is concerned)how embarrassing

Yep, that 600 mill that it made in 1997 is very embarrassing. Cameron's a joke.

Exactly, fishnets. What surprised me was that CITW got a 'D' from women. I mean, Hottie McHemsworth is there, and it still left women cold, which tells you how bad the box office prospects for the film are. They should have had him shirtless in plenty of scenes and promoted the hell out of it.

Edited by Ironi Choco

Looks like Choco found Whedon's stuff again.Anyway, to anyone more informed than I, why did Mirror Mirror and Lorax increase only 68 and 31% respectively.There was a bit of a boost these past weekdays but not enough to justify those awful increases.