interiorgatordecorator

Mar 24 - 26 weekend thread - John Wick ̶3̶ 4 opens - woke up to a 5.9 monday | Jonathan is in Majors trouble | Shazam 2 crushed the Ant |

51 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Ballerina has Ana de Armas as the lead role.

Ana de Armas with a gun.

And you ... you think nobody wants this??

It's the perfect "Mixed feelings" scenario.  Everything that you just said is absolutely correct, but then you see who is directing it and it's impossible to be hyped.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

DL

FRIDAY MIDDAY: As of right now, Lionsgate’s John Wick: Chapter 4 will be north of its high-end $70M projection in the low $70Ms, after a $30M Friday at 3,855 theaters. That’s easily the best opening day ever for a John Wick movie, bound for a franchise record stateside debut. Amazing when you compare the opening day to the fourthquel to 2017’s John Wick: Chapter 2 which posted an opening weekend of $30.4M. There’s a lot of weekend left so it’s going to be interesting to see how high this goes in the late night hours and into Saturday. While John Wick 2 saw a +4% uptick between Friday/previews and Saturday, John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum saw an ease between its Friday/previews of $22.6M and Saturday of $19.6M. Rotten Tomatoes’ critics and audience scores just keep getting better every time you refresh the fourthquel’s page — how often do we see that? Rotten Tomatoes critics scores normally go down, not up. RT critics is at 96% certified fresh with an audience of 97%.

Also, can we say: John Wick: Chapter 4 is the best opening for Lionsgate in the post Covid era.

Rest of the box office is as follows per industry estimates:

2.) Shazam! Fury of the Gods (WB) 4,071 theaters, Fri $2.4M, 3-day $9.05M (-70%), Total $45.6M/ Wk 2

3.) Scream VI (Par) 3,355 theaters, Fri $2.5M, 3-day $9M (-48%), Total $90.4M/Wk 3

4.) Creed III (MGM) 3,207 theaters, Fri $2.3M, 3-day $8M (-48%), Total $140.5M/Wk 4

5.) 65 (Sony) 2,786 theaters, Fri $775K, 3-day $2.9M (-50%), Total $27.5M/Wk 3

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Ballerina has Ana de Armas as the lead role.

Ana de Armas with a gun.

And you ... you think nobody wants this??

Have you seen who is directing it? Its gonna be a rotten generic action movie. It will flop.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, CJohn said:

Have you seen who is directing it? Its gonna be a rotten generic action movie. It will flop.

Hey! I actually enjoyed the first Underworld movie and Die Hard 4 is underrated.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JWR said:

Hey! I actually enjoyed the first Underworld movie and Die Hard 4 is underrated.

I enjoy those too but nowadays you need raves to survive in theaters.

11 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Just looked it up and indeed ... thats a bit of a bummer. I mean i actually like Die Hard 4, but the action scenes there were like ... servicable?

Though Ana de Armas killing a bunch of people, for me atleast, could be shot with a phone camera for all i care. I will watch it.

• Like 1

Caught an 11am AMC Dolby showing of JW4 and it's exactly what you would expect if you have seen any of the previous films. There is a buffet of hyperstylized violence to the extreme with some top notch cinematography and fight choreography, especially during the scene in the building being renovated. 

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that people are killed during the movie but to my surprise, Sawayama delivered my favorite kill in the film. In fact, all of the supporting characters and performances are top notch, though, as Reeves' Wick is the least interesting person on screen most of the time.

I'm always glad to see R rated movies perform well so it's good to see JW4 easily surpassing $70M for the weekend. Hopefully it can leg it out past AM3 which it should be able to do. The one drawback to the film was sitting through the gorefest in the trailers that cannot be shown in front of other movies. I'm not a fan but to each their own.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Just looked it up and indeed ... thats a bit of a bummer. I mean i actually like Die Hard 4, but the action scenes there were like ... servicable?

Though Ana de Armas killing a bunch of people, for me atleast, could be shot with a phone camera for all i care. I will watch it.

My hope is that everyone did the same training and they are using the same stunt teams/choreographers or as many of the same as possible and that they can fake it enough lol.

23 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

My hope is that everyone did the same training and they are using the same stunt teams/choreographers or as many of the same as possible and that they can fake it enough lol.

I'm pretty sure Stahelski said prior to shooting his team would be involved in the action sequences to make sure that it was up to the 'John Wick' standard, while still letting Wiseman put his own touches on it. 

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

I'm pretty sure Stahelski said prior to shooting his team would be involved in the action sequences to make sure that it was up to the 'John Wick' standard, while still letting Wiseman put his own touches on it. 

You give me hope.

• Heart 1