grim22

BOT Top 25 movies of 2022 | The forum hits the Danger Zone

Before we start, my apologies for the delay. I had to recalculate everything and due to work it took much longer than expected. All calculations are done, I have pre-written the reveals, and will do them at 5 a day everyday this week.

Stats:

- 96 lists received

- 165 different movies included

- The #1 movie pretty much ran away with it, but the rest of the Top 10 were all very close to each other and even a couple of additional lists could have made #6 into #2

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

MARCEL, THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON

unfR4m2.png 

piSlVP4.png 

A very cute (with really dark undertones) movie to start us of. I loved this movie, it takes you on a genuine emotional journey with an animated shell and makes you sad and happy throughout its runtime. When reviews say “a movie with heart”, this is the exact movie they are talking about.

User reviews:

This was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE – @Eric is Norlar Aver

• Like 9

Spoiler

PREY

41xHcVi.png 

uf6gvcj.png 

The Predator franchise is back – on streaming this time. Dan Trachtenberg provides the franchise with a new lease of life, and a great leading performance from Amber Midthunder gives fans a new hero to root for. Will be interesting to see where the Predator franchise goes from here.

User reviews:

Finally got to watch this!

I'm pretty into Predator, and was really happy with this movie.

Amber Midthunder is a badass, Trachtenberg's direction was on point and also entirely his own, he brought something fresh to the franchise. The action and kills were especially fun. The Predator side of it also explored some really cool ideas. Sound design/mix was also top notch. I have a few nitpicks like some of the CGI or dialogue but nothing that really derailed the film.

This film takes a very worthy position as best since the original.

@FilmFincher

This movie starts a little slow but is fucking awesome! – @Potiki

• Like 12
  • ...wtf 1

Spoiler

THE UNBEARABLE WEIGHT OF MASSIVE TALENT

fE9dq6M.png 

fAZcbfA.png 

20230207_085054.jpg 

A fun hangout movie which becomes a less fun chase movie before redeeming itself in the end. Pedro Pascal as the starstruck rich guy and Nicolas Cage in the role he was born to play as Nicolas Cage brought a lot of humor and unintentional pathos to their roles as well. The movie is genuinely great for the hangout parts, not so much after that but its well worth a watch for sure

User reviews:

I love when I watch a movie that is way better than I ever expected it to be. This is one of them. It works on many levels - and one of the reasons why it works is because it is so darn earnest. Cage and Pascal are terrific. The movie is hilarious and meta, while the story still works in its own right.

If you were on the fence in seeing this, I definitely recommend checking it out.

@MikeQ

Saw it this morning and loved it. I am quite a fan of NC anyway but this was up there with his best performances. 9/10 @TomCruiseTop

• Like 10

Spoiler

AMBULANCE

Mzz2XYG.png 

qc1bVSc.png 

Haven’t seen it, but people seem to say its Bay back at his best, so maybe I will check it out when possible

User Reviews:

Ambulance is exactly what one would expect based on its “bank robbers hijack an ambulance” premise and Michael Bay’s position as director: a big, dumb action movie with bombast and visual and aural panache to spare. Whether that description is a compliment or a condemnation comes down to the viewer’s tolerance for Bayhem: for those who dismiss it out of hand, this film will not convert them; but for those who can at least sometimes get on board with Bay’s brand of madness, it’s pretty fun. It runs too long and sidelines some potentially interesting character development in favor of more generic story beats, but the kinetic action sequences are deeply engaging and consistently fun to watch. Bay captures the action so effectively that the narrative remains fairly gripping even though it’s ultimate trajectory isn’t that hard to guess well ahead of time. The talented cast provides a big assist in grounding the narrative to some extent (as grounded as an action-driven film with this kind of premise can be, anyway). Jake Gyllenhaal is clearly having a great time playing up the unhinged nature of his character, though he finds time to squeeze some little moments of humanity into his big performance. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II does stellar work as the adopted brother who had tried to go on the straight-and-narrow, bringing greater depth to what could have just been a stock role. Eiza González gives the best performance in the film as the dedicated paramedic forced into this mess, though there is a sense that she doesn’t get as much screen time as she should for her character’s importance in the narrative. Behind solidly entertaining action sequences and enough grounding to balance out the ridiculousness with some effective pathos, Ambulance is a fun time and by far the most satisfying film Michael Bay has made since Pain & Gain almost a decade ago.

B

@Webslinger

• Like 15

Spoiler

THE MENU

1xoB6bG.png 

AcIy3Ca.png 

A movie with two of my favorite performances of the year with Nicolas Hoult playing the most pathetic man to ever have existed, and Ralph Fiennes playing a chef who is done with all this shit. The Menu is a great movie to watch if you have zero idea what it is about like I did, every reveal and escalation in the plot just feels like it has more stakes that way. So if you haven’t watched it yet, don’t watch any trailers or anything, just go watch it blind.

User Review:

This hit me very nicely. Very well acted, deliciously dark but also funny in places as well. Definitely not the story I expected it to tell, but so glad that it did.

4.5/5

@SchumacherFTW

Was fantastic, one of the best films of the year. The thing that most stood out to me that I enjoyed was how a lot of times with these movies, the trope is that although the villain is a violent sociopath it is always "justified" because he is only taking his anger out on the worst of the worst of society. This film however, had a lot to say in regards to priviledge and how the rich treat the poor, but it doesn't necessarily try to portray Ralph Fiennes as the "necessarily and justified evil", and sometimes he'll just be like "I hated you in this movie you made so I added you to my kill list"

@Killimano3

• Like 12

141-165

141 Official Competition
142 Promises
143 Death  on the Nile 
144 Spoiler Alert
145 RMN
146 The Little Nicholas : Happy as can be
147 A Man Called Otto
148 Aqua Teen Forever: Plantasm
149 Murina
150 Prey for the Devil
151 Remember Yesterday
152 Stutz
153 The Lost City
154 Violent Night
155 Benediction
156 The Duke
157 Bruno Reidal
158 Leila's brothers
159 No Bears
160 Novembre
161 As Bestas
162 Cairo Conspiracy
163 Chronique d'une liaison passagère
164 Holy Spider
165 My Policeman
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

THE MENU

1xoB6bG.png 

AcIy3Ca.png 

A movie with two of my favorite performances of the year with Nicolas Hoult playing the most pathetic man to ever have existed, and Ralph Fiennes playing a chef who is done with all this shit. The Menu is a great movie to watch if you have zero idea what it is about like I did, every reveal and escalation in the plot just feels like it has more stakes that way. So if you haven’t watched it yet, don’t watch any trailers or anything, just go watch it blind.

User Review:

This hit me very nicely. Very well acted, deliciously dark but also funny in places as well. Definitely not the story I expected it to tell, but so glad that it did.

4.5/5

@SchumacherFTW

Was fantastic, one of the best films of the year. The thing that most stood out to me that I enjoyed was how a lot of times with these movies, the trope is that although the villain is a violent sociopath it is always "justified" because he is only taking his anger out on the worst of the worst of society. This film however, had a lot to say in regards to priviledge and how the rich treat the poor, but it doesn't necessarily try to portray Ralph Fiennes as the "necessarily and justified evil", and sometimes he'll just be like "I hated you in this movie you made so I added you to my kill list"

@Killimano3

Yeah, my 1st movie to make the list - I was so surprised I liked this as much as I did...one more ending rewrite/tweak could have made this #1 for my year...

One other small fact - this year also sees a major first, something that has not happened since I started doing these lists. Not even in the Year-End 2020 list. I will reveal what exactly that is once #1 is revealed but it will be obvious prior to then.

• Astonished 3

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yes!

Spoiler

BARBARIAN

GLMDRbx.png 

q1JupJI.png 

While I didn’t like Barbarian as much as most people on the internet seem to like it, I have to say it is full of moments you don’t see coming. The twists just don’t stop in this really twisted movie which is one of many AirBNB Horror movies over the past couple of years. Zach Cregger makes a really good directing debut to go along with his acting masterpiece of the “Gallon of PCP” sketch. Definitely worth watching, but stay away if you are squeamish in any way.

User reviews:

Phew! This was a lot of FUN.

Gagged me, honestly. Love that I can still get those fun movie theater experiences.

My audience was great throughout this.

Also, Bill Skarsgard. ❤️ I'd totally smash.

@Claire of Themyscira

Fantastic movie. Had the theater to myself (that's what I get for seeing a Friday matinee in a small town), but what a great ride.

@Jayhawk the Hutt

• Like 15

Spoiler

THE WOMAN KING

bXBp4ua.png 

WY0s6FQ.png 

Haven’t seen it. Not much to say from me.

USER REVIEWS:

I thought this was pretty awesome. Is it historically accurate? Absolutely not. But it isn't pretending to be a history lesson and that's fine. Instead, it seeks to provide a rousing crowd-pleaser, and Gina Prince-Blythewood delivers. The action choreography is incredible and deserves to win Stunt Ensemble at the SAG Awards. Excellent costume and production design as well, but the movie wouldn't work nearly as well as it does without such a strong cast bringing it to life. Viola Davis has established herself as someone who automatically brings dignity to every project she's a part of, and not only does she achieve that again here, she also proves herself as a highly believable action star. The entire ensemble is great though, with newcomer Thuso Mbedu standing out in what should end up being a major breakthrough performance. It could've lost some of the little plot detours it takes at times, but the entire product is so entertaining that I didn't care. This is the kind of thrilling spectacle that movie theaters were made for. A- @filmlover

Felt almost like a really solid book adaptation, and I mean that in the best way possible. Usually when I read a book, I can picture it as a movie in my head. But with this, I could almost picture this movie being a beloved YA-type novel that's receiving a well-made film adaptation. It goes through a lot of the motions of YA books:

- The new rebellious "kid" joins a school for some type of gifted people.

- There they meet various mentor figures (one of whom usually dies) and come across other "students" some of whom they befriend and some of whom they develop rivalries with.

- They discover some family secret about their heritage or ancestry. 

- They become the "favourite" of the head of this 'school' for gifted individuals.

I could go on, but even though a lot of these tropes in the movie are very familiar, they are executed very well, with strong acting, and excellent pacing and art direction. The only gripe I would have really is a gripe I usually have with book adaptations, in that the story is larger than can be told in a 2 hour film, so certain elements are usually shortened up or almost relegated to montages (here, their training felt very quick, with only the bare minimum being shown to the audience).

Overall, I really really loved this, and will likely watch it again once it hits streaming. A.

@DAJK

• Like 11

Spoiler

ELVIS

f5wP35i.png 

84x6ir1.png 

Baz gives us an Elvis biopic which in lesser hands would have definitely come across as a straight faced version of Walk Hard (not unlike Bohemian Rhapsody). One of the few non-franchise movies to actually do well at the box office in 2022, Elvis did also give us a star making performance from Austin Butler and a weird (?) performance from Tom Hanks in a fatsuit. A bit too long but worth watching

USER REVIEWS:

Great movie, would've been a top 10 of the year type movie if not for Hanks' casting/performance. 

@tonytr87

Wow. This movie is a masterpiece. 

@vale9001

what a bazterpiece!!!! i love cinema!!!!!!

@CoolioD1

• Like 11
  • Disbelief 1

Spoiler

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT

dZAaawn.png 

zB7m5mF.png 

51g3w20cb5d91.jpg 

War is hell, World War 1 even more so. All Quiet silently built up steam all through awards season in 2022 and became a big player by the end – Netflix definitely didn’t see that happening. A good war movie and a really good technical achievement. Sits well with the other war movie epics we have got in the past 5 years.

User reviews:

Watched All Quiet on the Western Front. Thought it was great.  @EarlyDeadlinePredictions

• Like 12

Spoiler

DECISION TO LEAVE

1jquSEb.png 

upnGidF.png 

Haven’t seen it

User reviews;

The best directing I've seen in anything this year is easily Decision To Leave... Story could've been a bit more that was far and away the most fun I'd had just watching and editing and directing in a movie this year @JohnnyGossamer

• Like 10
  • Astonished 1

121 All My Friends Hate Me
122 Athena
123 The Adam Project
124 The Bob's Burgers Movie
125 White Noise
126 Whitney Houston_ I Wanna Dance with Somebody
127 The Night of the 12th
128 Morbius
129 The guilty 
130 Paris Memories
131 Redeeming Love
132 Good Luck to You, Leo Grande
133 A Wounded Fawn
134 Do Revenge
135 Dog
136 Dont Worry Darling
137 Fall
138 Fresh
139 The Fallout
140 All the Beauty and the Bloodshed
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Wrong question - who put it that high on their list or how did multiple people vote for it to be above 37 other movies...

Its definitely more entertaining than some of those below it, but its still toooooo high 😂