Issac Newton

Weekend Thread - 03/31-04/02 | #FRI - D&D $15.3M, JW4 $7.9M, HOS - $2.1M, Scream VI $1.55M, Creed III $1.4M, Shazam $1.2M &1001 $700K

The pessimists in this thread are wild to me, but maybe I'm off base idk. From the moment this was announced until about three weeks ago, this was universally considered another King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword or Robin Hood 2018 obvious fantasy flop. If you had told me it would open to $25 million on February 1st, I personally would have been blown away. So $40 million/120 total would be outstanding to me. Heading towards more OW than I thought it would do total a month ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stripe said:

If OW finally is around 40M, I can see DnD grossing close to 150M DOM, and that would make Paramount quite happy.

As someone already said, a month ago not many were thinking 100M was possible for DnD

Circa 4x legs? Gonna be tough; especially noting Mario is coming out on Wed.

1 John Wick Chapter 4 (LG) 3,855 theaters, Thu $3.8M (-15% from Wednesday) Wk $94.6M/Wk 1

2 Scream VI (Par) 3,355 theaters, Thu $710 (-3%), Wk $11.4M/Total $92.9M/Wk 3

3 Creed III (MGM/UAR) 3207 theaters, Thu $665K, Wk $11M, Total $143.5M/Wk 4

4 Shazam Fury of the Gods (NL) 4071 theaters, Thu $580K (-14%), Wk $12.2M/Total $48.8M/Wk 2

5 Dasara (CGX) 510 theaters, Thu $272K (-59%), Wk $939K/Wk 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paramount only financed 50% of the film so they'll be fine with how DnD does as they have the majority of the markets in terms of distribution. 

Given Hasbro is selling eOne, I wonder what will happen to future Hasbro films, will they go with Paramount as a partner or do it on a studio by studio basis. 

It does make me wonder if Magic: The Gathering might be adapted although it's similar to DnD so perhaps Hasbro is waiting to see how DnD before developing it.

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The pessimists in this thread are wild to me, but maybe I'm off base idk. From the moment this was announced until about three weeks ago, this was universally considered another King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword or Robin Hood 2018 obvious fantasy flop. If you had told me it would open to $25 million on February 1st, I personally would have been blown away. So $40 million/120 total would be outstanding to me. Heading towards more OW than I thought it would do total a month ago.

Being a surprisingly good movie probably helps in the end. I was iffy about this the whole time but I'm seeing it tomorrow after all the positive reviews/WOM.

Expected previews mostly. 40-45 imo.   

JW seems unlikely to pass QM now

Not sure about 60 for Shazam — could it be the movie that dethrones BvS legs instead of QM ☠️

Edited by Favorite Fearless Legion
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wow is that 4.1m True Thursday right? Seems to be significantly higher than what Keyzer and Charlie thought? Maybe the studio including the Wednesday early shows?

If 4.1 is the case, doesn't that make $40m more likely?

Edited by Pinacolada

22 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I'm pretty satisfied it actually outdid Uncharted's opening in true Thurs. after all the "it needs a real star like Tom Holland!" talk.

Because Holland is not real star, he doesn't have a single movie where he carries it without help of other big stars, usually in dady figure roles.