Eric Burnett

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

42 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Actually March isn't as "crowded" as it seem and January isn't as empty as it seem too. Whole March generated a $634m whereas January made $584m. 

The problem is the market simply isn't recovering enough to accommodate all movies. Or they do, just because people less keen to watch movie in standard hall now. 

A lot of those Jan ##s is just Avatar 2 and PiB2 legging it out. If DnD and Wick had come out in Jan, they would have eaten into A2's collection.

Seeing how Quantumania underperformed, they may have even thrived in February.

It was always pretty obvious that Jan/Feb were barren compared to March so it's not rly hindsight 20/20 I feel

• Like 1

Damn, Super Mario Bros might actually take the year, what a beast. However, it´s sad to see DnD doing low numbers, that movie was fantastic, a really nice surprise that I would actually want a sequel to. I think it would have played better in August/September maybe, or just on a not so crowded month and right before a juggernaut

34.7M, 44 overseas markets

▪︎ top animated launch day ever in 11 markets including Germany, Spain, Argentina, Central America and Austria

MEXICO, 5.9M

▪︎ the biggest debut for a Universal title ever and the second biggest animation opening day of all time, behind Toy Story 4

UNITED KINGDOM, 4.8M

▪︎ the best animated opening day ever, biggest overall of 2023 and Universal’s top Wednesday of all time, ahead of both Fast 8 and No Time to Die

CHINA, 5.4M (Thursday number is not reflected in the 34.7M Wednesday number)

▪︎ 4.7M Wednesday, 5.4M by Thursday

▪︎ biggest opening day for a Hollywood animation since the start of the pandemic in 2020 as well as the second-biggest opening day for a studio title in 2023

▪︎ 9.4 score on Maoyan is the best for an animated Hollywood title across the past five years

GERMANY, 2.8M

▪︎ Uni’s best opening day of all time and hit the same milestone for an animated title

▪︎ best opening day since 2019’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker in the market and the second-biggest April opening day behind only Avengers: Endgame

SPAIN, 2.2M

▪︎ the biggest animation opening day ever

▪︎ in terms of admissions, the result overtakes Avatar: The Way of Water and Doctor Strange 2 to become the biggest opening day since the start of the pandemic, as well as the biggest April opening day ever (No. 2 in box office behind Avengers: Endgame)

FRANCE, 2.1M

▪︎ biggest opening day of 2023, the second-best animation April opening behind Ice Age 2 and the best for Illumination — and without any school holidays

▪︎ is playing into the start of school breaks which are spread across three regions for six weeks

ITALY, 1.4M

▪︎ taking 70% of the market and dominating the competition

▪︎ biggest opening day for an animated movie in spring, and for a video game adaptation

CENTRAL AMERICA, 1.3M

▪︎ the second-biggest opening day ever behind Endgame and more than double Minions and the Despicable Me movies

TAIWAN, 1.1M

▪︎ top animation opening day ever for both Illumination and Universal, as well as the biggest opening of a video game adaptation and biggest April animation

AUSTRALIA, 1.1M

▪︎ best opening day of 2023, biggest ever for Illumination and top April debut ever

• Like 3
  • Astonished 3

23 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

A lot of those Jan ##s is just Avatar 2 and PiB2 legging it out. If DnD and Wick had come out in Jan, they would have eaten into A2's collection.

Seeing how Quantumania underperformed, they may have even thrived in February.

It was always pretty obvious that Jan/Feb were barren compared to March so it's not rly hindsight 20/20 I feel

If March had a monthly gross of $800m-900m like March in pre-Covid time then yes, March is crowded but unfortunately it is just isn't. The cinema clearly have room to fit more people but somehow audience just aren't coming. We are not facing overcrowded releases, it is the moviegoers base aren't growing enough. 

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

A potential $380M OW 

I don't see how $1B isn't locked 

1.5B is more likely than under 1B let´s be honest 

The reviews are bad but clearly people don´t care, audience data across the globe are very good, it will have great legs

• Like 2

I think Mario will be the single billionaire movie this year 

I think GOTG3, Transformers, Elemental, SpiderVerse, Flash, MI7, Fast X, Barbie, Oppenheimer, Indy etc all should do well which is good for theaters, but honestly without China doing some heavylifting i think all of them will ended in the 500-850M range 

• Like 2

Told y’all nothing is going to be able to touch this movie at the box office this year. If it does Charlie’s 200 5 day high end, A2 is possibly going down DOM.

Mario is truly the most multi-generational and cross cultural pop culture icon Hollywood has yet to tap into, which is why this was always bound to explode as long as it was a faithful adaptation. 

• Haha 1