Eric Furiosa

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

These Endgame mentions are pretty ironic considering this Mario movie is behaving a lot like Endgame and suffocating everything around it, as evident by the nasty drops for John Wick 4 and Dungeons and Dragons. It also keeps growing exponentially, as its projected 5-day frame started at around $140M-$150M and has now shot up to as high as $210M. Just wow.

2 minutes ago, Whydidyoudoit said:

An animated Zelda would be such an incredible waste. Either a well directed live action trilogy or a series. 

I kind of agree. The likes of Zelda and Metroid would be more interesting as live-action to me, and they're the only two Nintendo heavyweights that would actually translate well to that format.

• Like 1

I would like to see what Mario's drop is next weekend before proclaiming certain milestones as locked. I remember after Incredibles 2 opened and got an A+ Cinemascore people were saying $700 million DOM was locked and that it had a shot at even over Avatar DOM. Then it finished with a 3.33x multiplier which was excellent for a massive summer tentpole but lower than what was expected of an A+ Cinemascore animated film. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I kind of agree. The likes of Zelda and Metroid would be more interesting as live-action to me, and they're the only two Nintendo heavyweights that would actually translate well to that format.

f-zero in the way of speed racer would be cool (would probably flop though)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

$350m OW.didn't make a lick of sense until it actually happened

Hmm, i thought 300 would be breached next year after watching Infinity War.

But i now checked Endgame threads, people were saying 280-290 max, some people were showing how 300 is not Mathematically possible.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Very much doubt Nintendo would allow a live action Zelda or Metroid. They are extremely family friendly image protective and will likely keep future movies to animation.

You can still have a family friendly live action Zelda, that's far easier than Metroid. 

Yeah I think a live-action Zelda is what I prefer. Illumination would probably be the same patronizing fluff as the Mario movie and while I like Dreamworks, I'm not totally sure they would pull the style and tone off that well either. The How to Train Your Dragon team have all left and gone on to do other things and almost all their other movies lean more comedic. And even if a live-action Zelda is a PG-13, I don't think it matters that much? Other Zelda games have gotten T/13+ ratings, so there is precedent. And really, most PG-13 movies are kids movies anyways lol

I am however hesitant on the idea of a Metroid movie, but not becuase of "maturity". Rather, the series has never been that big a seller and the games are basically just the Alien movies (Ridley was named after Mr. Scott). Like why watch a PG-13 Aliens knockoff when I can watch Aliens?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eXtacy said:

Hope this means we get a few more video game adaptions of beloved franchises. Would love to Zelda, just not by illumination lol. Bioshock could play quite well. 

Bioshock will not replicate in any way this success