Eric Burnett

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

1 minute ago, Morieris said:

Even though they announced the date, that doesn't stop the parent annoyed that their kids won't stop badgering them to go see the movie this weekend instead of waiting from taking their kids.

It'll still be in theaters on May 9th, right? So they get a few coins from runoff from Vol 3.

Yes, we have 2 years of strong data showing PVOD doesn´t hurt some types of movies at all 

Empire is just that specific type of boring oldschool person who thinks the ´´old way´´ is the only right way even when otherwise has been prooved 

• Like 1

Two day cume is $58.2M. As of this morning, Uni is sticking to its $92M 3-day figure and $141M 5-day as they wait to assess matinees and early evening advance ticket sales

Math totally checks out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Update On AIR

Amazon/Artists Equity/Skydance Sports/Mandalay’s Air came in at $2.4M for Thursday, -26% from Wednesday. still on track for a $16M 5-day. The expectation is that today will be $4M, +65% from Thursday.

I think Air can do 18M, nice all things considered 

5 hours ago, oMeriMombatti said:

Shazam 2 is now available on PVOD. So anyone who missed it in theatres can now miss it on OTT as well.

heard someone mention there was one super joke in that movie (one with helen mirren), anyone mind telling me what I should keep an eye for If I go looking for it on youtube

4 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

heard someone mention there was one super joke in that movie (one with helen mirren), anyone mind telling me what I should keep an eye for If I go looking for it on youtube

It actually has a set up in a separate scene, so it's gonna be hard to get the context without a multi-scene review.  It's a great payoff scene to a well done set up...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Regardless of actual impact, it's just obnoxious as hell to be announcing digital release date before the opening weekend has even really started. What the hell is the incentive there?

I assume its mostly focused towards families with kids who would want to rewatch the movie in the very near future but might be willing to go to the theater again; the math must work out, otherwise they wouldn't do it

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Awesome to see Mario explode even more so than expected... Just about everyone with any sense knew it would be big but not this big. Reminds me most of Jurassic World but also stuff like Force Awakens and No Way Home. There's a novelty (first true Mario movie that's very, very much for fans and he's absolutely the biggest video game character across generations). I expect something around a 2.5 multiple off whatever the 5 day gross is to be the DOM TOTAL. So something like 525 to 575. Even Rise of Gru and Sonic 2 didn't quite have the legs people expected after impressive openings. I do think with this kind of property there will be some frontloading here. 

I'm not certain this will mean other video game movies will break out... I think the biggest are obviously Sonic from SEGA, Crash from SONY PS and Mario from NINTENDO. Zelda would be up there too. Also, unlike super hero movies before the boom we'd seen breakouts like Superman '78, Batman '89, Spider-man '02, etc. We've really not seen a video game with a ton of admissions yet until now with Mario. It's kind of like how other dino/kaiju movies can be big but there's only one Jurassic at the box office. I think Mario is that much bigger in terms of wide appeal other than everything else aside from maybe Crash, Sonic, Zelda. I'd say Mario is comfortably bigger than all those properties though. EVERYONE has played a Mario game or multiple Mario games.

Literally everyone knows who Mario is and, again, there's never been a Mario movie that tries to emulate the Mario games like this one. With that, as mentioned, I don't think the next ones can go higher as I see this more like Jurassic World, Force Awakens and No Way Home as they each had novelty and depended enormously on nostalgia. Then the movies that followed while very, very big didn't quite match those 3 movies. This is gonna be like that to me.

How about a GTA movie or did Free Guy fill that itch already.